Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A day at Pymatuning Lake
Wow, well ive been fishin' this lake since i was a kid.. bout 15 years to be exact.. and its not really the same.. as i grew older the fish seemed to grow more scarce even tho they stock it .. its seems like there isnt any "big" fish left.. all small ones.. its rediculous.. i know alot of guys take over their limit and i've actually seen guys snag fish out of the current under our causway.. and toss em on the stringer which is stupid because all the fish is tryina do is make it to the other side and they use heddon sonars to snag em up.. i've called the game warden and they came down and charged a guy with a 125$ fine and threw his fish back in.. i mean what is the fishin world coming too? whatever happened to fishing fair????
[signature]
I suppose your definition of fair depends on wether your doing it for fun, or doing it because you need meat in the freezer (though people who need the meat generaly don't have the fancy toys). When I was about 12, I remember we didn't have money to pay both bill and buy food. Instead of loosing the house, we figured it was better to sneak an extra couple deer over the winter....

That being said, these guys are probably just being greedy, and going for the extra few easy fish for the shore lunch.
[signature]
then again i see these gusy out every night takin home their limit.. they r just being selfish.. but everyone has their own opinion on "fair" fishing..
[signature]
I'm glad someone is doing their part bro.

I always say: Limit your kill, but don't kill your limit![cool]
[signature]
what is wrong with taking your limit? I go practically every day and well if I could get the limit I would keep them. Between my girlfriend and myself we got 47 blue gill in about 2 and half hours. We cut up all of them. Limit is 50 per person in PA. I have 40 in the freezer. we usually get 15 or 20 and we eat them all. I only have 40 in the freezer as I am saving them for winter when I can't go fishing as I do not ice fish as I can not swim if I fall in and I fear death from being trapped under ice. We only ate 7 that night as well we were tired when we got back from fishing and did not feel like cleaning them all right then. I was up until 4:30 am cleaing blue gill. If you are going to eat them I think take your limit. I have backed off the blue gill for the time being as I want to let them move back in before I start fishing for them again. They are a bit too small now and I have thrown alot of them back recently as they are too small to eat. I may check another spot for blue gill. I am fishing catfish and small mouth bass. I throw the small mouth bass back as the season opens the 14th of June and well I have never eaten bass. All though once the blue gill had been pretty well cleaned out the bass started biting. So I think I am switching over to small mouth bass fishing come the 14th and just am going to leave the blue gill go for now at least at my favorite fishing spot. I am going to move to another place for now when I go blue gill fishing and I am going to go bass fishing at my favorite fishing spot. Blue gill taste soooo good. I know another good spot for blue gill. If you will eat them keep them if you won't eat them throw them back. My girlfriend told me it is good for me to eat fish. As long as it is cooked the right way.
[signature]
LOL, you're right. There are alot of anglers that just can't find it in them to toss a keeper back. But, that's where you have to put a little faith in the Department of Natural Resources. The limits are set based on a body of waters population of specific species, growth and reproduction rate, and fishing pressure based on average number of anglers fishing that body of water. With that said, if an angler is going to eat those fish, I have no problem with an angler catching and keeping his or her limit. What I have a problem with is anglers that kill fish indescriminately for no reason. Tossing a bowfin on the bank because they consider it "trash fish," keeping 30 bream when they only end up eatting 10 of them and the other 20 sit in the freezer so long they ruin. You know, waste full. I've been known to keep my limit in fish, granted I know they won't go to waste. If my freezer is full, and I know my parents and friends are good, i'll toss them back. It just all depends. Just because an angler keeps their limit doesn't mean that they are being irresponsible. If anything, the DNR is being irresponsible if the bag limit or size limits aren't set high enough. It's not the anglers job to decide the bag and size limits, it's just the anglers job to follow the rules. [Smile]
[signature]
Ok, Santaa i didnt mention that i was upset for people takin' their limit bud.. i am upset because they don't catch the fish fair.. schools of walleye go under the bridge they drop sonars in there and snag em up..incase u didnt know SNAGGING IS ILLEGAL. and its not catching the fish fair.. people get their limit and throw it on their buddies stringer and keep fishing.. which isnt exactly right either.. and i as a fisherman get irritated because people fish illegal .. (snaggin' using a net!!!!) u know.. ive jigged a sonar and snagged a coupel walleyes but i ALWAYS throw them back in - because they do bite the sonars but they alot of times get snagge din the belly or the tail and ppl keep them.. how is that fair?? and what does that hafta do with takin their limit??
[signature]
Just like driving around spotlighting deer, or running an illegal gill net. Your not sport fishing or hunting, your just harvesting. Now, if I got three deer tags, you better believe I'm going to do my best to get three deer. But I'm not going to hunt out of season/from the truck/with a spotlight/etc. I'm allowed one archery, one blackpowder, and one general deer. I'm not going to shoot my archery deer with a rifle...
Fishing is the same. I'm allowed four Walleye on my licence, and I'm going to do my best to put four Walleye in the frying pan too, but I'm going to do it either angling, or spearfishing using only snorkle, facemask and Flippers (no scuba gear). These are the only methods allowed by law for them where I am (and I realy don't think I can snorkle down deep enough to get a walleye, ruling that method out. If you can, all the power to you). Sporting, ethical, legal, and I won't ruin the fishery for anyone else.
[signature]
Yayy, someone who sees eye to eye with me.. thanks pal!!
[signature]
Ok over the limit is being a pig. I am usually a little tired when I write sorry if I misunderstood. I usually am up in early morning hours here.Using a net is legal in PA with proper permits not fun or fair but legal with permits. I don't use that but what is the fun in using a net? I like to give the fish a chance. Nets are too easy. Although about putting them on a buddies stringer my GF and myself share a stringer we have 2 yeah but it is easier to just use one. It is legal not recommend but is legal.
[signature]
Although it hasn't come up yet, when I take my Fiancee fishing we are each allowed four. Now, if I happen to catch no keepers, yet she catches 8, I think we'd probably share a limit...Now, if I'm fishing alone, I'm not going to catch 8 walleye, sneak them home, and say they're hers. Also, we both live in the same house, and eat the same fish. I'm not going to catch double my limit with my buddy down the road, say they're his, and put them all in my freezer...
[signature]
[cool] Here in Louisiana we have a 50 per person limit everywhere except for a couple of lakes which is 25 per person. There is no limit on bream (redear or bluegill)
[signature]
[crazy] that is 50 per person /25 per person on crappie.
[signature]