Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish guts and stuff
Ideas on how to get rid of your refuse when it 3-4 days before the garbage gets picked up. It stinketh!
[signature]
LOL, first of all, clean the fish on the water and there's no worries. [Tongue] If you have to clean the fish at the house, just bury the remains outside in a shallow grave. If you have a garden, nothing makes a better fertilizer. [Wink]
[signature]
You could always take a stroll and make a deposit in the neighbors can.[Tongue]
[signature]
In the past, when I have been stuck with your problem, I have put the guts into a plastic bag, wrapped it up real tight, and stored it in the freezer.

You just have to remember to get it out on garbage day, and tell everyone in the family that that package is not food. ha, ha
[signature]
I love the freezer [laugh] idea and I do have a neighbor that I could share the remains with[Wink]. It's my understanding that the guts are considered litter in some areas and can be ticketed as such[Sad].

I have used the bag method even 2 or 3 but by garbage day it's still strong, so I thought I see what other methods people have tried[crazy].
[signature]
[Smile] I also put the remains in a freezer bag and place in the freezer. I also put a note on the fridge to remind me that I have to put the remains in the garbage for pick up.[cool]
[signature]
Freezer works. What I'll do sometimes, is take a little drive to the forest I hunt, (not far at all for me, 2 min drive), and deposit them in an out of the way spot for the coons, and skunks and bears and whatnot to fight over. I've yet to see them not completely gone by the next day. Or, if your out on the water while you clean fish, give them a little toss, and watch the gulls go crazy. I've even used them for bait when I run out from time to time.
[signature]
[cool] I don't live close enough to woods to do that and usually forget that I should clean the fish on the water.hehe
[signature]
Some areas don't allow you to clean the fish on the water. As you said, it could be pollution in some peoples eyes.

I usually like the double bagged freezer trick. Get all the air out of the first bag with the guts in it, then fill the second one with water to create a complete smell barrier.[cool]
[signature]
Freezing it is what I do, I made the mistake once and put it in the garbage a few days before pick up in 100 degree weather. I'll never do that again, makes me gag just thinking about that dripping magget mess.
[signature]
i actually use them to get bait. I take the guts and other waste and put it in an old fish tank(Mainly cause i have a dog) and wait a couple of days. by the third or fourth day the guts are crawling with maggots... put them in a jar of saw dust or something and go fishing
[signature]
That is the primary reason that I fish Saltwater for my food fish. I can get the fish filleted on the boat. No mess, no stink.

When I am working as a Deckhand on the Sportfishing boats, I run around with a list of who want to get their fish cleaned. When I get a cusotmer that says "That's OK, I'll just do it myself when I get home". I just ask " How well do you get along with the neighbors, That stuff will be smelly in one day."

Some of them re-think it and say " Oh shoot! Could you please clean them then?" Other reply, " My neighbors can kiss my ***! I decide what goes in my trash and when it gets there."[pirate]

I learned to be more considerate to my neighbors and do what I can not to piss them off. After all, I do live in Los Angeles and people are shot for less than the smell of the fish gutts.[shocked]
[signature]
That's a good point steve. It is illegal on some bodies of water to leave scraps in the water. I think it really depends on what's in the water as to if it's shined down on or not. Like around here for instance, nothing goes to waste, so it's actually encouraged. Between the bowfin, alligators, and turtles; nothing goes unnoticed. [cool]
[signature]
One of the Rivers that I fish has some huge Cats in it. They won't let you fish them but they won't let you feed them either. We used to throw other fish guts in there just to watch the cats roll on them. It was quite a site to see.[cool]
[signature]
It is in California. They actually have all species off limits in this particular stream.[Sad]
[signature]
[cool] We have a state park here that has fish cleaning station right at the boat ramp. You clean the fish, turn on the water to a HUGE disposal that grinds everything up and shoots it back into the lake.
No mess No fuss and you don't have to clean fish when you get home.
[signature]
Some of my lakes have that option too. It is nicer and more considerate for the neighbors.

When I fish other areas that post "No Fish Cleaning On the Premesis", then I have to resort to my freezer method.[cool]
[signature]
[cool] As a matter of fact I just threw away a freezer bag that I had in my freezer. I'll wait till right before I go to bed and put the freezer bag in the garbage since mine runs so early in the morning (4 a.m.)
[signature]
I am a bit greedy when it comes to left over fish guts and remains, I keep mine, ya my freezer doze take a bit of a fill during the winter months, but it is worth it, because in the spring after tilling my garden I dig trenches in the rows where I plan to plant my garden and use the remains for plant food, I put it all in and cover it back up and it will be a couple weeks before I plant over top so I know that the remains have thawed.

in the summer months I dig trenches between the rows and burry the remains there, Have to be quick about it cause if the flies get to it before I get them covered I will have magots in my garden....
[signature]
I don't see what the problem with dumping fish guts in the water. After all, where do the fish go when they die? Something eats their guts.

Why not use it for chum? Chop it up and use it to attract other fish. There is fish oil in a lot of commercial fish attractors and fish mucus is a great attractor.
[signature]