Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's just imagine for a moment...
... you wanted to set up a bass fishin' rig for an ambitious (but newbie) bass fisher. The budget allows $150 for a rod, reel and whatever hooks, lures, etc. that would be needed to get a good solid start.

What would you purchase? And why?

steve
[signature]
What exact kind of Bassin are you doing ?
[signature]
I would just go to Walmart and get whatever I could that looked good and then go fishing. After about 3 months of bass fishing, you would know what worked and what didn't, including the pole.
I would think that for a 150$ you could get topwater lures, plastic worms, bullet sinkers, hooks, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and a fishing reel/pole(maybe even 2 pole/reels). They may be of lower quality, but it still catches fish.
[signature]
I would say that EZOP is correct. Go to Wallys World. You can purchase the Abu Garcia AmbasSadeur combo for about 70 bucks. That gives you some extra dough to buy hooks, weights, line and plastics.[cool]
[signature]
It can definately be done for $150. A couple questions for ya'. From a boat, tube, or shore? Where do you live? Smallies or Largemouth or both, or whatever is biting?[cool]
[signature]
id say
1--- ($60-70) rod/reel combo,
2--- ($6) 1 or 2 plastic cases for holding lures and throw them in an old duffle bag vs buying a tackle box
3--- ($25) terminal tackle (bait hooks, bobber, sinkers, offset hooks, swivels, whatever lb line appropriate)
4--- ($10) plastic worms/tubes for texas rig
5--- ($10) couple of spinnerbaits
6--- ($10) couple of topwater baits (poppers, scum frogs)
7--- ($10) couple of crankbaits

***8--- ($10-15) any appropriate tools. you need a good pliers if you dont have some and a tape measure/scale is nice as well. (have to know how big to tell people)
[signature]
A Zebco 404 rod/reel package, 2" round red and white bobbers, #2 hooks, 1/16oz split shot..... dig some crawlers and your set for Bass!

[Tongue]

$40....
[signature]
That's funny, never underestimate a nightcrawler. You can never imitate movement like that. My wife, who always has a care free fishing attitude, caught a 6.23 lb. smallie on a dropshot nightcrawler. So much for my LC lures at $15 a pop.
Rod, reel,line, lure, location. The most important to me is line, whatever you choose get the best line you can afford for the conditions but that's another post...
[signature]
any combo would catch you fish even if they are cheap. i've used a cheap shakespeajustre rod and reel combo and caught tons of bass for only $20.00. then i would spend the rest of the money on the tackle and line you would like.
[signature]