Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
I continue to be impressed by my newTarpon. It's the first SOT I"ve ever paddled. When I was considering the purchase I was wondering how I was going to afford the extra money for a rudder. After paddling in pretty well all conditons (upriver/downriver, into a very strong headwind today etc.) I can't say that I would ever need a rudder. Before I owned the kayak i assumed that since it wasn't quite as sleek as my regular kayak that it would need the rudder in order to handle well. Well let me say as a guy who has camped and fished in regular kayaks for years that this kayak is no slouch in the paddling department. The SOT's are far superior as fishing kayaks. My flyfishing partner bought a pontoon and there's no way he can keep up with me. Upriver and against a strong wind show the inadequcies of a pontoon. I'm glad I resisted the urge to get one and opted for the kayak.

Any other Tarpon owners on site?
[signature]
[reply]
.... Any other Tarpon owners on site? [/reply]

Not yet, but thinking strongly about becoming one.

Although the float tube is my first choice fishing ride, there is a big attractive water very near where I live with a minimum boat length rule of 12 feet.

A Tarpon 120 would fit in just nicely.

Weighing my options at the moment.... [Smile]
[signature]
If that is lake or reservoir you are thinking about using the Tarpon in, you might want to consider going up to the 140, or even the 160. The longer boats paddle much more efficiently in still water than the shorter models. However, they are not so great in moving water, like rivers.

If you are going to be using it in rivers at all, I would stick with the 120. There is less storage, but the 100 is even more maneuverable if you like to fish smaller rivers and streams.

Dave
[signature]
It will be 99.9% stillwater use. I am just not interested in whitewater stuff. And 100% for fishing. So it's gonna be either a boat or a stillwater SOT.

Possible slow river-estuary-inshore sea once or twice a year.
I had considered a 140, still weighing it up. The interest (or lack of)of my 12 year old son will affect choice greatly. I can't make him enjoy what I enjoy most! And don't want to have to buy twice!
Next step - measure the garage[Smile]
[signature]
Do you have Pike in Ireland ? Just curious.
[signature]
Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler owner here.
[signature]
All northerns like this ...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24898;guest=35353629"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...24898;guest=35353629[/url]
Yep !

But no muskies, pickerel, etc
[signature]
Real nice fish.
[signature]
Quote:
[size 1]Ocean Kayak Drifter Angler owner here. [/size]
I got one of those too. Ultra stable and quick for it's size and girth. Very stable fishing platform for all kinds of fish.
[signature]