Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bait to use for my dauphin island fishing trip next weekend
[blue][size 3][font "Tahoma"]im going to dauphin island next weekend for a two day fishing trip last time i was down there looking off the pier i saw a red fish swim past during to low tide had some of my gear with me but didn't know what to use. i have a tackle box full of stuff. bought a saltwater soft body mullet lure from cabela's didn't know if i could use it? any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated........[crazy][/font][/size][/blue]
[signature]
Welcome aboard Kevin and thanks for your question.

One of the best baits for Reds, is the actual food they feed on so much. Shrimp!

That would be your ticket for your trip.[cool]
[signature]
[red][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"]thanks for the tip just wondering i saw alot of people on the pier using cut bait on their line's what do you think they were fishing for?didn't see much coming out of the water the day i was down there the tide was very low and there were sand bank's visible all the way out towards the gas rig's.
[/font][/size][/red]
[signature]
There are usually two types of red drum anglers, the kind that use natural bait, and the kind that cast lures to them. Personally, if I were to target drum, i'd use live bait.

I know a friend of mine runs a charter for inshore fish here in SC, and he'll tell you quick that a live Pogey (menhaden) about 4 or 5" inches long is about a fine a bait as there is for a big bull drum. Also, live mud minnows and live mullet are a close second. Normally, the prefered method is to use a carolina rig with an appropriate sized circle hook and a mono leader. You'll find the big bulls on the ocean side around here, but every location is different. They like sandy bottom drop offs, submerged rock piles, jettie walls, and just about any other body of structure you can find. Cut bait and shrimp are also effective if live bait isn't availible for what ever reason. A standard two hook dropper rig fished along the breakers can produce fish.

Good luck and I hope this helps out. [cool]
[signature]
Generally the cut bait will not be the favorite of the Reds. It would probably be for the Black Drum, Red Drum, not Red Fish though. It will also be good for the Rays and smaller Sharks that roam that area.[cool]
[signature]