Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with new pontoon
Hey everybody! I decided to purchase a pontoon boat and I'm really new to this whole thing so I could use all of the tips I can get. I have a trolling motor that I might want to mount but I have no idea how that works. I also want to trick it out with all the PVC mods, where do I start?
By the way, props to Tubedude for the excellent work on this float tube board. You have done an excellent job with it and I'm sure you have spent a bunch of time making it the cool board that it is.
Here are some pics, thanks for the help.

Folks, meet the "Banana Split"!!!

[inline "Pontoon 001.jpg"]
[inline "Pontoon 002.jpg"]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Congrats on the boat. You may never want to walk another stream bank again.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I can't tell by the pictures if you have a motor mount or cargo rack on the rear of the craft.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If it's a motor mount, you're ready to go. just rig a battery and mount the motor.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]BTW what make and model is your boat?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Oh yea, one other thing, with that yellow boat, you may be mistaken for Flygoddess (Carp catcher), who posts on here regularly.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Is that what you are going to use to pull a Mack from the depths at Hideout?LOL [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]That would be quite a ride.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Nice Toon though I love mine but I don't seem to use it is much as I should.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
nice toon. i sure love to use mine. i have my motor on the front of mine, it works pretty good that way. i'm looking for another picture of my motor mount. it just goes over one of the front foot rests and the motor attaches to it. it would be better if you had a solid platform for your battery to go on instead of the webbing. [cool]
[signature]
No sir. I'll use the 21ft Bayliner for that task.
[signature]
What are the pros of mounting the motor on the front? I have never thought of that before. Do you kind of get crammed up with everything going on in front of you, Or is it just eaiser that way?
[signature]
i just prefer it that way. i also have a swivel seat on mine. so i can fish off of either side or front or back.
[signature]
If you decide to go with off the back, you will need a solid deck in the back of wood, aluminum, lexan. You could then use shelf brackets and attach a block of wood about 8" long by 4" high and about 2" thick. Put your battery as close as you can behind your seat and be prepared to slide the frame as far as you can to the front of the toon to balance it out.
Also, if you go for the rear mount, undo the bolt and nut just under the head of the motor and turn it so that it is facing the same direction as the prop. This allowes you all five forward controls in a pulling motion. Just turn the motor on what ever speed you want and steer with your feet. You can even turn the motor slightly on windy days to compensate for drift.
I personally prefer the motor behind me. I land a lot of fish from the front, less likely to get my fly line caught in the prop, and back right up to shore, turn and go forward right into shore and stand up with nothing in the way except the foot pegs.
But I also use hip waders and fins. I am not going to trust a motor that much, plus oars.
I motor out, cast out, and either troll or turn motor off and kick while stripping line in and I can get 3 days on a battery doing this.
[signature]
Motor in back use flippers to steer. To me thats easiest.
[signature]
The Cardiacs are a gimmie. They come with the motor mount already on the back as do a lot of different models.
I was hoping Poky-Mon had some pictures of his Expadition. He even widen the frame to make it more stable and more room. Or the Bucks Alpine. It had the mesh shelf in the back but a battery bos and motor mount were easily made. How bout it bro, got any pictures?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Congratulations. Lemme know when you are ready to rumble and we can get a wiper floatilla going at Willard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One word of advice. If you install downriggers, don't screw the mounts down to your air chambers. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you like our playroom. Drop in anytime.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Congrats on the 9ft inflatable banana's, I look forward to seeing your mods.
[signature]
Thanks to everyone! You have given me some good ideas and I'll put all of them in mind while I rig this puppy up. I've got some other tricks up my sleeve too, so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!
Hookjaw
[signature]