Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Fillet Knife?
So I've decided it's about time to upgrade from my $4 Walmart butter knife and get something that works. Any suggestions? I'm looking for both a regular one and an electric one. What should I look for? I'll be using it mainly for bass, walleye, and panfish with the occasional big cat and maybe a carp now and then for bait.

Unfortunately, limited funds is (always) an issue, but at the same time, I believe that it's less expensive to buy quality in the long run anyway because you don't have to keep replacing cheap crap that doesn't work.
[signature]
For the no electric I have a Rapala and like it. They seem to be very good flexable and holds an edge. Not to mention a decent price 12-20$ at spotsmans.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are lots of good electrics and standard fillet knives on the market. I have tried most of them and own three electrics and about 20 "hand held" knives.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been using an American Angler electric for almost 5 years. Believe me, it has filleted A LOT of fish, of many different species...and fish up to 20 pounds or so. I bought a replacement about 3 years ago, when I suspected the knife would not last much longer, based upon past experience with other knives. My second American Angler still remains in the package...unopened.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can find them at Sportsmans and online. [url "http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0030237516819a.shtml"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to Cabelas. Their current models look different than mine. But, they look more "user friendly". One of the big problems with many electrics is that they do not fit the hand right and create fatigue or poor cuts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a link I put up about 3 years ago, on [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=142538;#142538"]FILLETING CATFISH[/url] . It shows the two knives I use the most...the American Angler electric and a Rapala that I have owned for about 30 years. It could tell some fish stories.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a link to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=235668;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]TROUT FILLETING[/url] from a couple of years ago, with the electric and a smaller and thinner Rapala knife.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a link to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=184171;#184171"]PERCH FILLETING[/url], but the second knife is a short stiff boning knife for cutting out rib cages.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A final link to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=144109;#144109"]FILLETING BOARD AND KNIVES[/url] includes pictures of some specialty knives as well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As most seasoned fish filleters will tell you, SHARP is the key word for knives. Dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones because you have to work harder and it is easier to make a slip and slice the operator rather than the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also have a cordless 12 volt electric that I use for field filleting when power is not available for my 110 volt. I would not recommend spending good money on a cordless until you have both a good standard knife and a good 110 volt.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I second the Rapala. I think mine is a 12 inch model, and it came with the red pull thru sharpener, which I use often. The secret is just to keep it sharp. Keep the sharpener with you, and sharpen often. Bass species (Wipers, Stripers, etc.) seem to really dull the blades. Also, I tried a different sharpener with my Rapala knife one day and it did more harm than good. Buy one with a sharpener that comes with it, and use that sharpener.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I will second what TD says about the american angler electric fillet knife. I took his advice and purchased one before my lake powell trip in April. I got the "ultra" one from sportsmans. It looks like this.... [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SceneSevenDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=-15929&scene7Path=BassPro%2f64474%3flayer%3dcomp%26wid%3d500%26hei%3d500%26fmt%3djpeg%26qlt%3d100%2c0%26op_sharpen%3d0%26resMode%3dnorm%26op_usm%3d1.0%2c1.0%2c0.0%2c0&sourceName=images2%2f64000%2f64474.jpg&type=0&linkEnabled=false"]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SceneSevenDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=-15929&scene7Path=BassPro%2f64474%3flayer%3dcomp%26wid%3d500%26hei%3d500%26fmt%3djpeg%26qlt%3d100%2c0%26op_sharpen%3d0%26resMode%3dnorm%26op_usm%3d1.0%2c1.0%2c0.0%2c0&sourceName=images2%2f64000%2f64474.jpg&type=0&linkEnabled=false[/url]

In three days it went through around 300 stripers. It got very warm to the touch but kept on going. The blades held up well too.

It was the best purchase I could have made before a lake powell trip.
[signature]
I have a Cabelas Advanced Angler fillet knife that I purchased at the beginning of the year. I have used it quite a bit and have really liked it thus far. Holds an edge really well and is quite flexible. For the price I don't think that I have used a better knife
[signature]
Hey TD, have you ever had to sharpen or replace the blades for your Electric? When filleting wipers I sharpen my Rapala 7.5" hand held before a new side of fish (damn things dull the blade quick). So, I've got the basic American Angler electric and was working a couple of wipers last weekend and it seemed like the blades were getting dull. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks
DJ OLe

ps. My electric has about 10 hours of filleting on it.
[signature]
Thanks for all the feedback and thanks TD for the links. Ya got me sold on the Rapala with the American Angler electric. Maybe I'll have to stop by Cabelas tonight and pick 'em up if I can talk the wife into going up with me to bassrods' demo.

By the way, TD, I've been sniffing some glue again. If I make it there tonight, I'll try to bring my tube up and show ya the new mods. [sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Theoretically, you should never need to sharpen the serrated blades. But, wipers and other heavy boned fishes will dull the points of the serrations over time...sometimes sooner than later.[/#0000ff]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26335;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached picture, third from the left is a little rounded diamond sharpener that I use for a lot of fine touch up stuff. The rounded edge is just the right size to run up and down a couple of times in the grooves of the serrated blade. All it takes is a little touch up once in awhile and the blades keep on keepin' on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...don't ever try to sharpen the blades with a regular knife sharpener. You can make a couple of light sweeps on the flat side of the blade...just to remove any burrs or flat spots...but do not grind on them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been using the same (2) sets of blades for 5 years. I would hate to estimate the hours or fish they have seen.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If you want a no frills quality fillet knife, you should try a Dexter Russell. I have a 8" and a 9" but prefer the 8". Best steel I have encountered without spending big bucks. Good luck.
[signature]
There is a brand out there called RADA. The only place that I have seen it is through some school cafeteria employees. Rada makes all kind of knives and they are of excellent quality but the fillet knife is something else. Just the right stiffness. Not too flexible but not too stiff. Just a quality knife.
[signature]
We'll the next door neighbor and a buddy brought home 4 more wipers last night and the electric is still chuging along! The points on the blade are definitaly not as sharp as they were new, but it seems simple enough to give them a quick go over. So, where could I pick up one of those sharpeners? Thanks again TD!
[signature]
Check Amazon. not kidding they have some good deals of Forshners small steels.

[url "http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-Victorinox-Sharpening-Regular-Handle/dp/B000931E4E/ref=sr_1_499/103-2400729-3914258?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1181746903&sr=1-499"]5" Steel[/url]
[signature]
I also have the cabelas advanced angler fillet knife (the middle size). First thing I did though was take it to Cutlery Corner in Orem (I think there is one somewhere in Salt Lake County as well) and had them sharpen it. I just told them to make it as sharp as was humanly possible. I can pretty well shave with it and it works great--I should mention, however, that pretty well the only time I use it is on stripers at Powell--pretty much the only fish I keep--I take that back, also used it in Mexico on Almaco Jacks and super tough skinned trigger fish.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It has been a long time ago since I bought it, but I think I remember buying it from Cabelas...as a hook sharpener. Check that department at Cabelas, Bass Pro and even Sportsmans. I know I have seen them advertised on an ongoing basis.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If you know any welders get a piece of [#000000]tungsten to sharpen the serrated edge. Works great. Just run the tungsten between the points and run up to the points.[/#000000]
[signature]
Alaska Knives
[signature]