Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip to S.C.
I am geting ready for a trip to S.C. and will be hitting the Beaufort area for some inshore fishing off of basically a dock. I fish mostly in KY but go down there occasionally for some fishing. I plan on using about 3 poles. 2 10' surf rods one with 30 lb power plus and one with 65 lb power plus. on the 65 lb I will probably be using a float rig with menhaden between 4-6" if available and the other 10' i will probably be using a carolina rig with shrimp or menhaden as well maybe a bit smaller. the other rod is 7'6" with a cheap reel and 30 lb power plus. I plan on fishing that close to the dock with fiddler crab because there are a lot of them there on the beach or maybe some shrimp. I will be probably be using 6/0 or 4/0 circle hooks on the out poles and 2/0 or 3/0 circle on the dock pole. I know there will be a whiting, sheepshead and some smaller blacktips. But since this will be inshore What other fish will be there about the second week in July. Also on the float rig I have 2 oz weights should I use more, and how big of a float at what depth. I also thought about some flounder with the shrimp but there will be no boat to drift.
[signature]
Welcome aboard Rungeg. If you are fishing inshore, you could have a possibility for some Mackeral, possibly some Bluefish and if you were lucky some Reds.[cool]
[signature]
Those are primarily going to be in more open water correct maybe say 15 feet down. I am just trying to get an idea of what float and depth and bait and hook size basically all of the hard questions.
[signature]
You will have to play around a bit and adjust for the tide. You will basically be looking from about 8 feet to 30 feet. But one you find them at a specific depth, just keep it there for awhile and get er done.[cool]
[signature]
I know I am getting pretty detailed but thanks for the help another question what weights should I start with? I will probably start with 1.5 oz but how high should I expect to go for a float rig?
[signature]
1 to 3 oz should be all you need depending on the tide.[cool]
[signature]
would you use mono to make those rigs or another line. I was thinking like 60lb mono.
[signature]
Mono is fine but I don't think you would need 60lb. That may be a little heavy. There really isn't a need to go over 20 or 30lb. They are not huge fish. Some of them get big but not huge![cool]
[signature]
I was just thinking about a larger shark or something maybe getting a hold of my line. I just wanted play it safe.
[signature]
That would be ok but I have landed 200lb sharks on 25lb test. I guess you could accidently get on of those Rollers coming through then you could kiss the rig good bye. lol

If a normal Shark hits your rig it would most likely bite through the line anyways unless you are fortunate to get a good side jaw or lip hook up on it.[cool]
[signature]
I appreciate all of the help. Hopefully it will be a good trip. I will definately take plenty of pics just hopefully there are fish in there.
[signature]
Good luck and do let us know how you do.[cool]
[signature]
Hey there Rungeg, it's nice to see you've registered! You won't regret it, this is a great site!

I touched a bit on your question on the SC message board, but i'll go in depth. The tube has given you some good tips, i'll just add a few of my own.

My first question is are you planning on fishing on the ocean side or in the bay? If you plan on surf fishing, i'd make sure and take a two hook dropper rig and buy some sand fleas. Just about everything that roams the surf (including but not limited to: Red drum, whiting, Pompano, etc...) eats sand fleas. They are a great bait, and can be caught wild if you know the trick of the trade. I would explain, but it's best if shown. I'll do my best apon request. Also, fresh cut bait works well for blues and drum in the surf. Live minnows on a carolina rig, either mud or mullet, are a great bait for drum, blues, flounder, and spanish along the shallows of the breakers. I prefer a live mullet over just about anything. I'd have a drop rig with sand fleas on one pole, and a live one on another. Don't expect to get a spanish, even though it's possible. You really need to float a live mullet on a 3 or 4 foot long leader to get a spanish. It doesn't take anything fancy. A small bobber, like a bass bobber, and a small single hook is all it takes. I like a #6 trebble myself. Nothing fancy or flashy, and I also like to use fluorocarbon leader on the rig. I'll only put about 4" of 7 strand on the hook and then attach a 30" piece of fluorocarbon to it for the rest of the leader. All mackerel have great vision, and the use of fluorocarbon will up the chances of getting a strike. The only problem is, if you're beach bound, you can pretty much forget about tossing out a float rig unless the wind is comming strait of the land and the water is very calm.

I know there are some peirs in Charleston, but i'm not sure about HHI or Beaufort. I've fished the bay in Beaufort from a boat and did very well each time with the sheepshead and trout. There are also plenty of flounder and drum in there too. With that said, if you're fishing the bay side, i'd try and find a place that rents boats. We've caught sheepshead on the narrow creek side under an overhanging tree branch. It was CRAZY!!!! No rocks or structure, just an over hanging tree and a few hang caught fiddler crabs. I've also hung some sharks in there, as you mentioned before. Those are always fun, as well as the occasional skate.

Your hook size is more so going to be determined by the size of the bait. If you're using a 6" pogey for flounder, i'd recommend a 5/0 kahle or wide bend hook. LOL, I know that sounds like a big bait, but for a flounder it's not. They've got a huge mouth, and big bait, big fish. [Wink] I would use circle hooks for drum and trout, and stick with a small 4 strong trebble on the float rig if you are able to deploy one. You're ability to adapt to the fishing conditions will be the factor in regards to your success.

I would definately look into a boat rental though. That is really the key. There is some great fishing in the bay, and it would be ashame for you to be land locked. I'd also look for a peir. I know you said there was a dock you'd be fishing from, what exactly do you mean?
[signature]
THat was someone else in the SC board I will actually be fishing the Chechesee River one bend up from the port Royal SOund What about a recomendation for fishing there? I have caught a few things here and there using a double drop rig with squid before. Also do you know of any place to renta boat there?
It will be on a floating dock about 40-50 feet in the water.
[signature]
LOL, I'm SO SORRY! I just assumed with the timeing on the two posts, it was the same person. The good news is that the info I posted is good for both of you. Those tactics apply to any bay or inlet senario, as well as any surf fishing or pier senario. It doesn't matter what part of the SC coast you're on. As for your boat rental, let me do a little research and see if I can find a place that rents boats in that area. Thanks for dropping by and we appreciate your posts!
[signature]