Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing gear
now that the season is almost over , most of us have weeded out all of the unnessary stuff we take out on the ice . what are the basic nesseties you ended up with ?
[signature]
I had managed to reduce my lure box by two lures. (2 silver teardrops) on both of them I have worn out the hooks barbs and one lost its crome plating. both lured are retired and will be hung up on the wall in my house with other hooks that I have worn out.

true I could travel a whole lot lighter than I do, but I am spoiled on all the mighty fine products available on the market.

1. I cary a five gallon bucket that I picked up at the hard wear store for 2.50 and placed a Big Fish sticker on it to dress it up.

2. I cary any where from 1 to 3 fishing devices. my pan jigging rod, my crappie minnow rod and a tip-up

3. I cary my 2 lure boxes one with my new lures still in the package and hook sharpening stone and a pair of cuticle sisiors and the other with all my open lures.

4. I cary one my ice digging devices (spud, hand auger, power auger)

5. I cary a plastic dipper (dont like the metal ones)

6. depending on the weather conditions I will cary a lantern

7. depending on what I am going after I will cary a minnow bucket.

8. I cary my bug box to hold my wax and mousie worms.

9. usualy I make up my leaders in the house, but just incase I get the urge to try something different or need to reset a my hook up I cary a small spool of 2lb test line.

10. I cary one or two pair of hemostats. small one for sure and the large one if I set up for pike.

11. when I am targeting pike I will cary a gaft.

12. I cary Plastic grocery bags to cary my groceries home off the lake and any trash I find on the lake I will pick up and cary off.

13. I cary a little candy to chew on.

14. I cary my cell phone

15. I cary my secreat stuff. (sory it is a secreat) I went through 3 pounds this year. I had to make a second batch.

so what do you cary on the lake with you?
[signature]
1 5 gal bucket ( b.f.t. logo too ), with a p.v.c. tube bolted upright to it's side ( capped on it's bottom ) and a 1" hoe in the tube near the top to hold the ice rod while fishing . the tube holds -2- ice rods and 2- tip ups , 1 pike gaff , plus 1 plastic ice skimmer- the plastic flexes which makes it easy to break off ice build up .

i have a small coffee can ( with a key ring attached thru it's lid and the can ) bolted on the side of the bucket too , it carries some hooks , sinkers , teardrop lures , and a flashlight and a toe nail clipper for cutting the line . the bucket also has a 35 " length of rope duct taped to it's side and tied to it's handle , in an emergency i can pull the rope off quickley and use the bucket for throwing to someone . i can always replace the gear , but not a fishing buddy .

i keep a minnow bucket and a small cat food can w/ plastic lid for wax worms . a plastic paint rollers tray on top of the 5 gal.bucket acts juct like a hinged seat .

1 ice auger , 1 pair home maid ice spikes tied thru the sleves of my coat in case i fall thru , and a pair of sunglasses . i also have a thin life jacket i wear , chap stick for my lips and to put on the rods guides to keep water from freesing on them . some packets of hand warmers , i put them between my neopreme gloves and there liners , boots and on the real cold days between my hats .

and yes , some hard candy !

next year i plan on a waterproof camera that floats too !
[signature]
I had forgot to mention a couple of the most important things that I cary

Big Fish logo of any kind

1" inch X 25' foot tape mesure. (never know when I am going to land that 60" inch blue gill [sly])

My sunglasses is manditory wear any time I step out the door of the house, but you are absolutly corect it is most deffenatly a must for ice fishing.
[signature]
and our cameras too ! next year i'm going to have one that comes with i'ts own personal flotation device !

i still wanna bonk myself on the head for that one !
[signature]
Ice gear where does it all end. I'm a carpenter by trade so it was natural for me to make a sled out of wood to carry all my stuff. My lady fishes right along with me so extra items are always needed. We take a portable shanty for real cold days and to use as an out house as well. An old coffee can works well for a toilet I prefer not to pee on the ice. The sled can be pulled by my quad or pulled alone. old ski's work well for ice and light snow when it is heavy snow I use my back pack and plastic buckets. I carry at least 4 poles with different weight line and jig and hook set up. At least 10 tip ups ,safety equip. fish finder small tackle box gaff sometimes a heater propane. My sled is cushioned on top for sitting and jigging. 4" of foam is nicer than a plastic pail bottom. I also carry a small radio for entertainment. I enjoy small comforts . If we don't caught fish it is always good winter exercise. Ice is going fast here in NY. Strippers are running in the Hudson River. Can't weight to use my new boat a 2003 tracker deep V 165. Chief.
[signature]
we will be looking forwaard to veiwing your pic's and post on the new york bard for the summer action.[Wink] [center][cool]I am still here if you need assistance posting pics there too.[cool][/center]
[signature]
oh man , your styleing on the ice ! good tip on the port-a-potty , i wish others would do the same . the back pack idea is great ! you should post that on the hot tips board as well .

oh yea a new boat , i bet you can't wait .

thanks , lonehunter
[signature]
[Image: HOLL7787CustomImage0087929.jpg]this is my ice fishing camp for the year . i know it's hard to see but theres a canvas wind break , a folding chair , five gal . bucket as described above and hand auger , the only thing missing was the fish !
[signature]