Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BAITCASTER HELP
Ok so i recently purchased a baitcaster and read hundreds of articles on how to cast and such. the only thing im not sure of is when im reeling (not casting) where do i put the thumb on my rod hand (this is my left hand since im a righty). Ive seen alot of fishing shows and it seems as though they have their thumb on top of the reel. where exactly do i put it?
[signature]
You know, I read that and I honestly don't know where I put my thumb [blush]. I fish LH baitcasters and on my Quantums there is a spot that is worn out. That must be where I put my thumb.
How is the casting going? That usually seems to be the trouble. Once you you find that sweet spot for a specific weight it becomes second nature to cast. Untill you spool out, I mean professional overrun. I only own a couple 'round' models that I don't use very often so I can only help on the low profile baitcasters.
[inline "Quantum 001.jpg"]
[inline "Quantum 002.jpg"]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT chipleader!

probably the easiest way to explain it (palming) is to show you a picture...

[Image: 543svo8.jpg]

It'll depend on what's comfortable for you personally and how big your hands and fingers are ... I've got meathooks for hands so I find it more comfortable and controlling to have the pad of my thumb resting on the far right front edge of the reel that is your average sized "low profile" reel like pictured above.. the larger they get (larger series round reels) the further to the left my thumb falls.

hope this helps! [Wink]
[signature]
It appears that great minds think alike fsh4fun05 [laugh][laugh]
[signature]
AAAHHH!!! Looking at those pics makes me want to go fishing so bad!!!! I'm going tomorrow after work to chase some smallies. I am going to try to pay attention what my thumb does.
[signature]
I palm mine too, but I agree its usually the casting that causes the most problems. I too have profesional overages now and then [cool][inline baitcaster.bmp]

Oh yea, the new shimano curado is awesome!
[signature]
LOL... I got lost in a 'scenery view' when I pulled up my image search on google.. one of the photos had a nice Northern popping out of the water that sort of mesmerized me.

Good luck tomarrow!
[signature]
This all helped alot THANKS!
[signature]
Also just wanted to let you know that i only used my baitcaster once (last year on my vacation to Lake George, NY) and at that time i had no idea how to control my casts lol. But ive read literaly hundredds of posts on it and im going to use my baitcaster again next week when i head back up to Lake George. Any of you ever been to Lake George? Its alot of fun to fish there and theres alot of nice sized bass around.
[signature]
lake George is a beautiful lake but highly let em say that highly populated with tourist. If you get away from the main part it is a great place to fish. I have a cabin near it but im on lake sacandaga.
[signature]
yes the actual seasonal motel rates go up teh week after i stay there. thats when teh kids all get off from school and thats when the tourists show up. teh week i go it is basically empty other then at night. and if u have a boat it makes it even better lol
[signature]
Wow, until I read your post, I had never thought about where I put my thumb. Like the guy above, I had to go look at my reels and find out where the coating was showing wear. Picked up a couple and held them, sure enough, I hold just like the pics show.

By the way, you guys referring to "Professional Overrun" - are you talking about a "Birdsnest"? You know, that minor inconvience that seems to only occur when the fish are really hitting well and frequently takes about 15 minutes of fishing time to overcome? I used to build 'em that would make an eagle proud. That is until my Dad got tired of working them out for me and made me start doing it myself. I quickly learned that if I was going to make the best of my fishing time and still use a baitcaster, I had best practice, practice, practice with it in the yard at home. I did that, and then I learned to use a baitcaster way before any manufacturer came out with all the new fancy anti-backlash systems. Now, 45 years later, I seldom make anything more than a Hummin' Birds Nest. That is until my fishin' partner really starts haulin' them in. Then wham, the eagle has landed again! How bout you, ever notice that tendency?

Regards, & good fishin'
[signature]
I used to get my share too. It wasn't until one day that a guy on a boat told me some very wise words: "Don't be dumb, use the thumb"!

It made sense and it did work. Now we have magnets and pins to deal with besides the overrun control on the handle end.[cool]
[signature]