Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing boats for the beginer
what would you recomend as a fishing boat for the beginer ? something for lakes and rivers .

for me i think a 14 ' aluminium deep-v hull , that can support a 5 - 7.5 h.p. motor is tops on my list .
[signature]
Lonehunter,

You might want a little more H.P. on that boat. I started out with 2 10' boats. One was a mod-v and the other was a Livingston Catamaran. I used my little 6H.P. on both and can tell you that I wish I had more power when a storm would blow in. I had beach each of them more than once because I couldn't get back to the truck fast enough. I would suggest the Livingston. I could lift it in and out of my truck by myself. That boat is 10'X5' and can support a 15H.P. I sold it to a co-worker that is an avid duck hunter. He said that both he and his buddy were standing on the rear seats and the boat was not tipping. I can verify the stability. I talked to a guy at Strawberry that had a Honda 9.9h.p. 4 stroke on the same boat and he said that it wouldn't plane. Just like my 6h.p. 2 stroke. Maybe a 9-10h.p. 2 stroke or a 15h.p. 4 stroke would work better. The boat is fiberglass, so you might not want it for rivers. Also, don't forget to get as short of a motor shaft as will properly power the boat for taking anything in a river that isn't a jet. I've torn up a few props learning that lesson. Hope it helps.
[signature]
YEA , YOUR RIGHT ! I'VE FORGOTEN WHAT IT'S LIKE TO SHEAR A PIN IN A RIVER , AND THEN THE COST OF HAVING TO RE-TUNE YOUR PROP . LET ALONE THE EMBARESEMENT OF BEING TOWED IN .

THANKS , LONEHUNTER
[signature]
Now that I've had time to put this thing together in my head. I think the perfect setup would be a 14' deep V aluminum with a 25h.p. jet drive and a bow mount electric for trolling/positioning. That should battle any river current and be able to cross mid to large lakes with a hop and a skip.
[signature]
HOW ABOUT A WHITE WATER JET BOAT RE-CONFIGURED AND RIGGED FOR FISHING ? [cool]
[signature]
I was thinking more on the lines of an inner tube in the bath tub [crazy]

a nice 14 foot deep V is good for most anglers, it will allow them to throw it in the back of a pick up jump on any small lake or small river. man the oars. a little 2.5 horse evenrude will do most any thing that the big boys will do except get you accross the lake in under a minute. the big boys have to go with a small trolling motor of some type to target trolling speeds. the 2.5 will go about 12-15 miles per hour depending on the wind. that is plenty for targeting most any fish and trolling speeds.
[signature]
right now i have a sears 12 foot shallow v with a 1942 5 h.p.scott-atwatre motor and i minkota trolling motor . it's good for these small lakes , but i have been caught in a storm out on the detroit river in it , never again !
[signature]
Thought I'd throw this in. Here's a pic of my first boat. 10' fiberglass powered with grandpa's 1963 6h.p. Evinrude fisherman.
[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfish+Page2PageNumber1Pic1Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0282095.jpg][/url]
Blue Ribbon day on Deer Creek, Utah.
[signature]
THAT'S SWEET !

JUST A QUESTION HERE , ARE THE PHOTOS DIGITISED FROM SLIDES ? OR FROM A HOME DARKROOM ? I NOTICED SOME TECK TRICKS THAT I ONCE TRIED BACK IN THE DAY . IT'S A GREAT HOBBY . YOUR PHOTO'S ARE GREAT !
[signature]
That one in particular was just ran through the burst scanner on my desk this morning from the old original. The scanner is a Visioneer - Strobe Pro. These "feeder" scanners do give the picture a little different look than a flatbed.
[signature]
A GUY COULD PRACTICE FOR MONTHS TRYING TO GET THAT HALO EFFECT , AND YOU WERE ABLE TO DO IT IN A FEW SECONDS !

IT'S ONE FANTASTIC PICTURE JUST THE WAY IT IS , I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING !
[signature]
basics:
1: Big water, big boat
2: Small pond, small boat
3: Never get on big water with a small craft.
4: Repeat #3,
[signature]
NOW YOU TELL ME ! [Smile]

bail , bail , bail your boat , thru the stormey seas ,

bareley , bareley , bareley , bareley , floating was mees !
[signature]
[size 2] I would have to say that a 14- 16ft aluminum boat with a 6-15hp motor would be ideal. Just my opinion.[/size]

[size 2] AFDan52[/size]
[signature]
thats cool , stable in the water and enough power to get you there and back !
[signature]