Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RATT
Got a new fly for you guys. Simple to tie and killer on the water near the banks or weed beds where a mouse might fall in.
When you strip it in it darts from side to side and it can be popped.
Larger hook with a big gap, shammy tail, Closed cell foam and Muskrat strip (muskrat is much more water proof than rabbit) wrapped up the hook. Play with that foam head, make it a little bigger to pop it.
I tied this for a couple of years but I did it with rabbit and a lot of flotant. Dennis Brakke from "The Fly Desk" had it come to him in the middle of the night.....MUSKRAT! So thanks D, the fly kicks.

[inline RATT.jpg]

[inline mouse.jpg]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Joni, nice fly.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Couple questions: does the foam ride on the water surface with the rat hair below?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If so, when you tie it, do you attach the tail and foam at the rear of the hook, wrap the rat hair forward, then pull the foam to the front and tie it off at the head?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Bass fly?[/size]
[signature]
FG...said it before and Ill say it again...cooooooolllllllllllllll fly....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You are correct Saberfish. I cut a teardrop shape piece of close cell foam and tie it on top of the tail. Wrap the Muskrat, then fold the foam over. If you leave the head a little bigger, it pops real good.
I have tried this a couple of times on the river by my house, but I am sure I am hitting it at the wrong time of day, but the Utah boys swear by this in the weeds at strawberry for the CUTTs. Haven't been up there yet this year to try, but I am thinking the weed beds at Scofield!
[signature]
Looks like a good guide fly. Simple quick to tie.
[signature]