Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort, Convenience, and Class...Trickin out my ODC 420
A while back I made the newbie-tuber pilgrimage to Mecca, I mean the tubatorium (tubedude's garage), where I caught a small glimpse of the PVC vision (or halucination, take your pick). I finally got a chance to sniff some glue again and this is what I came up with. I haven't tried it out on the open seas yet, but even if it turns out to be too much weight and I sink, at least I'll go down in style! [cool]

As you can probably see, many ideas are sniped from others, but I was able to pull off a few stunts of my own. [Wink]

[inline "Front Diagonal.jpg"]
I made a rigid apron like TD's with tape, drain holes, etc., and I put a 1/2" PVC bar across the top to make it more sturdy.
[inline "Rigid Apron.jpg"]
This, of course, would not make it very convenient to enter and exit the craft, so I didn't glue the pieces on. This makes it so I can just leave one side connected and swivel it up to get in and out.
[inline "Apron Up.jpg"]
As is, the crossbar connected to the apron is too long as I haven't adjusted it to the proper length while on the water yet, but I haven't glued it yet so I can just cut it down to size on my first voyage.

My most anticipated addition is the new extended backrest. Lack of sturdy back support has probably been my biggest complaint about this tube (and most V-tubes, from what I've heard from others). I'm hoping this little setup solves that.
[inline "Back Support - Lower, with Straps Open.jpg"]
I put a couple cross bars and foam on the bottom also because in the ODC the backrest foam would often get pushed over the edge of the bottom seat foam and sink even lower, despite having the straps tightened up as far as they go. This way, the inserted foam keeps the backrest in place and the foam keeps the PVC from digging into the tube material.

I also included a little hook on the back to give myself easy access to my big net (which, unfortunately, I don't use as often as I'd like). But now whenever I need it I can whip it out of its sheath like a samurai warrior!
[inline Rear.jpg]

[inline "Rear - Close Up.jpg"]
While at the tubatorium, TD made me a 3-rod rack which I have now modified and put on my wife's U-boat 2000 and upgraded to the 4-rod model.
[inline "Rod Rack.jpg"]
To get the excess sonar wire out of the way, I wrapped it around the tube that runs from the battery in the back pocket up to the display.

In front of the left pocket, I made a small mount for my lip gripper. It fits pretty snug in the PVC but I've got it tethered to a D-ring just in case. I haven't glued that piece down so it can swivel out of the way of the transducer rig when I need to raise and lower it.
[inline "Lip Grip Mount.jpg"]
Over on the right side I have a tool rack, rear view mirror, worm cup, and floating basket.
[inline "Right Side.jpg"]
For the mirror, I stripped the cord and apparatus out of a goose-neck lamp with a clamp on it that I hook onto my vertical rod rack on that side. I got a styrofoam ball and shaved it down to fit inside the lamp head and glued that in, then found a small round mirror in the auto section of Walmart and glued that onto the foam. It fit perfectly!
[inline "Rear View Mirror.jpg"]
For my tool rack, again I followed TD's latest model with the grooves cut out of the bottom for a snug fit.
[inline Tools.jpg]
Then I made the little extension out to the side where I fit a spinnerbait box and 2 marker buoys. The size fits just right so nothing will fall out.
[inline "Tools with Open Box.jpg"]
When I'm fishing, I don't like putting stuff away when I'm switching bait (too time consuming), so I like to just throw it somewhere. Previously, I would just carry a little plastic box I could throw all that stuff in to organize later, but with this setup and can be even more lazy. I'll just leave the lid open for easy dumping of and access to tackle that I'm using on a specific water. It's also big enough to throw in 2-3 bottles of smelly jelly and this way it doesn't take up any precious pocket space.

Needless to say I'm stoked to get out and about and see how it rides. I'll report my feedback once I get a chance. The only other additions I'm thinking of so far are a tupperware that fits my hand pump that I can secure behind the seat and perhaps a mount on the backrest for a flag I can use to keep myself more visible when the motor patrol is nigh.

[inline Front.jpg]

Let me know what you think! [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]That is one tricked out craft. You should be proud.[/size][/black]

[black][size 3]Workmanship looks great, doesn't look like you left anything off. Nice job, you should enjoy using it.
[/size][/black]
[signature]
Looks like you've got it all together there ... lovely job.
I couldn't find one thing ...
Where did you tuck away the microwave! [Smile] [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]What can I say? I am in awe...awe shucks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Really some creative ideas and good workmanship there young man. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We need to be careful that the FDA does not put PVC cement on the list of controlled substances. It seems to have a hallucinogenic effect on float tubers who sniff too much of it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice! Sniffing 40+ years of lingering PVC fumes in the TubeDude Tubetorium must have some sort of creative high. I love the backrest and the (movable) rigid apron.
[signature]
WOW! TD, you did mention to him to NOT put PVC in his flotation devise (vest) LOL[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

I can't wait to see the trailer to transport this beast![Wink]

[Image: FlatBed.jpg]
[signature]
[cool]I have a general question based on simple observation of the work of the tubers of this board... and that is..

...why arent ya'll out making a fortune desiging rockets and cars etc.. or working for either the companies that design and sell the tubes or the companies that sell the after market items for people who use tubes and toons.... some of the imaginative innovations I see on these tricked out tubes are simply amazing..

not to take away from that.. the work done by toon people is equally amazing and inventive..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Sad truth is that all things are driven by market and potential profitability. It costs a fortune just to run something through the patent process, making prototypes, tooling up and acquiring materials. Then, you have costs of marketing and distribution before you ever sell your first unit. And, sometimes your first unit is all you sell...and you are out a ton of time and money..all for a dream.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We represent a small and limited market. Tubers and tooners do not represent a very large segment of the buying public. At least that is what manufacturers and marketing types tell me. Believe me, I have put some of my stuff in front of people who should get excited about innovative ideas. After a "Looks good" always comes the "But....". That is usually where they look strictly at the potential for profitability.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Same thing with the book I have been working on for 50 years, on float tubing. It is finished, with bunches of pictures, but if I want it printed I will be printing it at my own expense...and will probably lose a lot of money on it. Not a big market and the folks who are tubers and tooners are typically not big spenders on written material.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The main reason for my comment was to say how much I am awed by the many innovative ideas being used to trick out a tube or toon.. it takes a lot of time.. talent.. dedication to come up with ideas that work and in most cases look pretty darn good.. but that is just my opinion.. [Smile]...but....

I do see your point and it is a Sad one.. to often the profit potential outweighs something being made or and innovation being put on the market that could potentially bring in more buyers for the base product that it supports... so the potential for long term revenue and sales is lost....

I was watching American Inventor last night and saw several products I liked and would probably buy if on the market.. the finalists that were chosen ... especially one of them.. were not products Id buy...but the argument was that the other top contenders were had a limited market.. for example.. a man in a wheelchair built in his garage.. a new chair that folded completely flat and could be easily lifted and stored.. but it was limited market and was not selected...

sometimes I think profit potential leads to way to narrow a view on the product in question.. if this had happen in the past where would we be.. still riding in wagons maybe....[Wink]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the visual! LOL
[signature]
TD -- I will be buying the book for myself, and my relatives (even the non fishing ones) will be getting copies for their birthdays Smile The PDF's posted so far have been good reading.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, Bro. I am still trying to decide whether or not to edit in a lot of pictures, and put it on a CD to sell for a few bucks...or to just post up PDF files of the individual chapters for a limited time...for BFTers...at no charge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no way to begin to count the hours I have put into writing, rewriting and editing up to this point. It has never been with the intent of making money, but just to "download" the sum total of my experience for the benefit of others. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At this point, I am still trying to make something available, while cutting my losses.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I for one would love the the CD with pics! One of my favorite parts of this site is seeing people's fish, kids' Smiles, tricked out rides, etc. Although I love to read your posts, the pics you include add that little edge that takes them from good to great!

I'm sure there's plenty of people on here (myself included) who would be more than happy to donate to your cause--especially those of us on the tubing board who owe so much to your experience and knowledge already. Maybe we should all start a TD CD publishing fund! [cool]
[signature]
WOW! THAT IS VERY CREATIVE. YOU CAME UP WITH SOME GOOD IDEAS THERE, HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT ONCE YOU GET IT ON THE WATER.

AT
[signature]
Thanks AT. I still haven't decided whether or not to attempt a camera mount like the one you came up with recently. That thing really does a great job!

I also toyed around with the idea of the bimini shade top you had on your ride. I decided against it, however, because I just know that just as soon as I put it on there I'd catch it with a couple rapala trebles or something. Do you still use it at all? I noticed it's absence on several of your most recent posts.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As long as I don't do a complete Hollywood color/sound production...keeping it to words and pics...I can produce my own copies of the CD's at a reasonable cost. I was thinking about a flat $15 price...to include shipping and everything. To print the number of pages I have produced...with color pics...even on lesser grade paper...it would require a price tag of $35 to $50 a copy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just to give you an idea of what "The Book" will include, here is a PDF file of the chapter summary. Aw what the heck, here is the Introduction Chapter too. I will be doing some mods on that one before the grand finale.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I have finished the chapter on species. The summary chapter lists it as having 40 pages. By the time I reduced the type size to 10 point, and added in a bajillion pictures, it finished up at 52 pages.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
YEAH THE BIMINI TOP WAS A BUST....WELL I SHOULD SAY AS LONG AS THE WIND IS CALM IT WORKS GOOD BUT ONCE IT KICKS UP EVEN SLIGHTLY, FORGET IT. I NOW USE THE 3 HOLES ON THE CROSS BAS TO HOLD A NET, GAFF, FLAG, OR EXTRA RODS.

AT
[signature]
I for one could be easily persuaded to buy a copy of the cd at a reasonable price... even if I dont tube.. looks like a lot more than tubing is explained in the book...

MacFly
[signature]
Great little read! My first encounter with the world of tubedom was when we took the young men in our ward up to some mountain lakes in Wyoming a few years ago. I was chucking stuff from shore and catching absolutely nothing while a guy was cruising back and forth in front of me in a tube just beyond my range who seemed to be in a state of constant "bendo."

One of the first tubes I got was a little Trout Unlimited doughnut. Lasted one trip then I sold it to a pawn shop. I eventually ended up with a pair of Uboat 2000s for me and the wife, which were quite comfy. Then I upgraded to the ODC and sold my Uboat. My wife still enjoys hers. I'm hoping they last us a while as I'll be starting grad school before too long and funds will be even more limited than they are now. [unsure]

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the read, TD. Any ideas of when the whole shabang might be up for grabs? [cool]
[signature]
Wow that looks awesome. You will have to let us know how the back rest works out for you. I like the the containers on the side I think I could really us something like that. That makes my fishcat with 4 rod holder look wimpy. By the way Tubedude thanks for the instructions on the rod holder. Thanks for lookee at your book Tubedude now I have something to read.
[signature]