Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort, Convenience, and Class...Trickin out my ODC 420!
[size 1]A while back I made the newbie-tuber pilgrimage to Mecca, I mean the tubatorium (tubedude's garage), where I caught a small glimpse of the PVC vision (or halucination, take your pick). I finally got a chance to sniff some glue again and this is what I came up with. I haven't tried it out on the open seas yet, but even if it turns out to be too much weight and I sink, at least I'll go down in style! [cool]

As you can probably see, many ideas are sniped from others, but I was able to pull off a few stunts of my own. [Wink]

[inline "Front Diagonal.jpg"]
I made a rigid apron like TD's with tape, drain holes, etc., and I put a 1/2" PVC bar across the top to make it more sturdy.
[inline "Rigid Apron.jpg"]
This, of course, would not make it very convenient to enter and exit the craft, so I didn't glue the pieces on. This makes it so I can just leave one side connected and swivel it up to get in and out.
[inline "Apron Up.jpg"]
As is, the crossbar connected to the apron is too long as I haven't adjusted it to the proper length while on the water yet, but I haven't glued it yet so I can just cut it down to size on my first voyage.

My most anticipated addition is the new extended backrest. Lack of sturdy back support has probably been my biggest complaint about this tube (and most V-tubes, from what I've heard from others). I'm hoping this little setup solves that.
[inline "Back Support - Lower, with Straps Open.jpg"]
I put a couple cross bars and foam on the bottom also because in the ODC the backrest foam would often get pushed over the edge of the bottom seat foam and sink even lower, despite having the straps tightened up as far as they go. This way, the inserted foam keeps the backrest in place and the foam keeps the PVC from digging into the tube material.

I also included a little hook on the back to give myself easy access to my big net (which, unfortunately, I don't use as often as I'd like). But now whenever I need it I can whip it out of its sheath like a samurai warrior!
[inline Rear.jpg]

[inline "Rear - Close Up.jpg"]
While at the tubatorium, TD made me a 3-rod rack which I have now modified and put on my wife's U-boat 2000 and upgraded to the 4-rod model.
[inline "Rod Rack.jpg"]
To get the excess sonar wire out of the way, I wrapped it around the tube that runs from the battery in the back pocket up to the display.

In front of the left pocket, I made a small mount for my lip gripper. It fits pretty snug in the PVC but I've got it tethered to a D-ring just in case. I haven't glued that piece down so it can swivel out of the way of the transducer rig when I need to raise and lower it.
[inline "Lip Grip Mount.jpg"]
Over on the right side I have a tool rack, rear view mirror, worm cup, and floating basket.
[inline "Right Side.jpg"]
For the mirror, I stripped the cord and apparatus out of a goose-neck lamp with a clamp on it that I hook onto my vertical rod rack on that side. I got a styrofoam ball and shaved it down to fit inside the lamp head and glued that in, then found a small round mirror in the auto section of Walmart and glued that onto the foam. It fit perfectly!
[inline "Rear View Mirror.jpg"]
For my tool rack, again I followed TD's latest model with the grooves cut out of the bottom for a snug fit.
[inline Tools.jpg]
Then I made the little extension out to the side where I fit a spinnerbait box and 2 marker buoys. The size fits just right so nothing will fall out.
[inline "Tools with Open Box.jpg"]
When I'm fishing, I don't like putting stuff away when I'm switching bait (too time consuming), so I like to just throw it somewhere. Previously, I would just carry a little plastic box I could throw all that stuff in to organize later, but with this setup and can be even more lazy. I'll just leave the lid open for easy dumping of and access to tackle that I'm using on a specific water. It's also big enough to throw in 2-3 bottles of smelly jelly and this way it doesn't take up any precious pocket space.

Needless to say I'm stoked to get out and about and see how it rides. I'll report my feedback once I get a chance. The only other additions I'm thinking of so far are a tupperware that fits my hand pump that I can secure behind the seat and perhaps a mount on the backrest for a flag I can use to keep myself more visible when the motor patrol is nigh.

[inline Front.jpg]

Let me know what you think! [cool] [/size]
[signature]
That TD sure knows how trick out a ODC, Looks like a great setup. WH2
[signature]
Good work there! I can't imagine my tube not tricked out. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The student surpasses the teacher. You do good work, "Grasshoppah".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No wonder Home Depot was out of PVC when I took my truck in to get a load.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
420? whew... thats heavy.... just make sure there are no rangers with a high powered binoculars! Last time I looked, 420 wasn't recognized in the state of Utah for its medical properties... as is the case with California. Glue???? geeeez that rubber glue sure got you imitating tubedude... lol!

So how much does that outfit weigh? do you need a trailer to pull it around?[Tongue][cool][crazy]
[signature]
Now that's what I'm talking about!
[signature]
Nice rig! I think I will try to modify my pontoon, wanna sell you layout plans? Where to you attach the transducer for your finder? Oh and where are the cup holders?[Wink]
[signature]
Now that is one heck of a sweet set up.
[signature]
No plans, just kinda made it up as I went along, although there was quite a bit of time spent just staring at the thing and thinking it through. If you'd like more pics or explanations of certain parts, just ask--I'd be happy to post 'em up.

If you look at the 8th pic from the top, you can see the transducer setup attached to a pvc bar that's secured around the tube with bungee cord (again, TD's idea). The way it is, I can just swivel the thing down into the water so the bar is vertical and then lift it up just as easy when landing.

The other nice thing about this transducer setup is you can throw a couple of pvc bars into the "T" connector on the top and you've got a perfect ice fishing setup. I tried finding details and pics from TD's post a while back but was unsuccessful. I know it's out there though. Maybe he knows where it's at and can post a link to it.

As far as a cup holder goes, I can just take one of the plastic inserts out of my spinnerbait box (on the tool rack, right side) and put something in there. I usually don't bring much to drink with me anyway so I can stay out on the water longer if ya know what I mean! [Wink] It is nice, however, to have something with which to wet the whistle while kicking around in the hot sun.

P.S. If you really get into the whole PVC thing, you'll want to have a rotary/dremel tool. After seeing the dude's in action, I had to pick one up for myself. That will let you put grooves in the rod holders, smooth rough edges, etc. Just use a 1/2" sanding head.
[signature]
holy crap!!! where did you put the (RADIO EDIT FOR UNDERAGE USERS)other than that i think it has every other accessory known to man. nice job!! i gotta get TD to fit me up a three rod rack and a device for my sonar that can double duty on a alum boat as well as on the ice when necessary.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here are links to a couple of threads I posted on the Tubing board in the past.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=254066;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]MOUNTING A CUDA 168EX[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=238624;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]FISHMARK 320 SETUP[/url] (with ice fishing pics)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Where's the escalator that goes up to the heli-pad ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I also didn't notice where you put the HDTV surround sound system or dish.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]One last question ... do you have a 24 volt trolling motor, or does it take a 36 volt one to move that around ?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]BTW - Nice rig.[/size]
[signature]
jnbsigma, I hope you made two of these things because one of them should end up in the Smithsonian, if you ask me. Wow! Great work!
[signature]
I guess thats cool and all, but does it make toast? Seriously though, that is awesome, great work, great pics, great description, great post! You are an inspiration.
[signature]
[size 1]Thanks everybody for the kindly words. I took it out Friday on Deer Creek for a test drive and for the most part it worked great, but a few adjustments are in order. I'll post up more details and pictures of what worked and what didn't in a day or two when I get a couple kinks worked out.

Here's a couple pics from the trip...

Ambitious Smallie: [/size]
[inline "Ambitious Smallie.jpg"]
Cookie-Cutter Smallie:
[inline "Cookie Cutter Smallie.jpg"]
18 Inch Walleye 1
[inline "18 inch Walleye 1.jpg"]
18 Inch Walleye 2
[inline "18 inch Walleye 2.jpg"]
[signature]