Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revenge on Catfish that broke my pole anyone got good recipes?
Well my brother loaned me a bigger pole until mine gets replaced by the manufacturer. I got the catfish that broke my pole and how do I know it is it. It had two of my hooks a double hook and the hook that was hooked in it that broke the pole. It was 30" I have no idea how much it weighed as I don't have a fish scale. I got my revenge and he is in my freezer now. It had the hook I was using yesterday when it broke my pole lodged in its mouth. I will post pictures tomorrow. I did not have a stringer I trusted so I dragged him up in the net that I put him in once I got him to shore and I threw him in the trunk of the car. Finally my dad believes me that I was hooking into large catfish. I been going every day since I lost the first one because no one believed me and I really wanted my dad to believe me. He looked shocked " I never thought they got that big in that lake" The neighbor was out putting his trash out and he came over to have a look. My Dad looked pretty proud of me. He was grinning from ear to ear. Plus I was fishing from shore. I just wanted to prove to my Dad I had caught one by catching another one. He did not believe I caught one before. I got knocked down by one and it broke my line and I jumped on it and smashed my face on the rocks and it got away. This time it did not get away and I had proof that I had caught it. My younger brother who is really into fishing said he has never caught anything that big. So I have caught the biggest fish ever in my family. So now I need recipes to cook this one up to celebrate. I want it to taste good. I cooked a smaller one in a pan but it tasted awful. I need something really really good. I don't have a deep fryer. I am so excited. I was able to prove to my dad I was not a liar and it was not a "one that got away" story I made up. I was so excited to call him and tell him I had it in the trunk of my car and there was no way it could get away.
[signature]
LOL, well, atleast you caught that kitty fish this time, and he didn't catch you. Catfish make for some good eatting if proper care is taken prior to the fish reaching the table.

First of all, I noticed that you already have the fish in the freezer. I'm HOPING that means you've already skinned and fillet the fish before you froze it. Usually when I clean a fish, they are still kicking. And if they aren't alive when I begin the cleaning process, they've been on ice. I'm also assuming that you covered the fish with water before you froze it. If the fish was frozen whole, you can expect the meat to have a stronger flavor. And if you froze the fish with out being submerged in water, there's a good chance it will freezer burn rather quickly.

OK, now that we have the "proper care" thing taken care of, lets move on to the recipe. Catfish is one of those species that is only good a couple ways, atleast in my opinion. One way is deep fried and the other is in a spicey stew. The recipe i'm giving you is the fried way as I don't know how to make fish stew. LOL

I take boneless, skinless fillets and cut them into 1x1" nuggest. I drop the nuggets in seasoned flour, drop them in a bowl of beaten eggs, and then back into the seasoned flour. I get the oil nice and hot and in the catfish nuggest go. Cook until golden brown and that should do the trick. It won't take long if you don't fill the pot with alot of fish as once. Serve will a side of tarter sauce and a cold beer. [cool]
[signature]
is it alright to leave the beer out as I am under age. I can't buy beer.
[signature]
No worries, the beer is optional my friend. But, as far as the other steps in preperation and cooking instructions, follow them to a "T" in order to get the best flavor out of your catch. And you can always grab a root beer, it's just as tastey. [Smile] The trick to fish is keeping it fresh. Another trick is to soak the fillets in butter milk for about 3 hours prior to cooking it. That will take even more of the fishy taste out of the fillets. This is a good technique for fish that have a naturally stronger flavor.

Let us know when you decide to purchase a new fishing rig. We'll be able to help ou pick one out that will do the job and not cost an arm and a leg. Sounds like you were trying to fish with a cheaper outfit, and when targeting catfish, that's not always the best choice. Thankfully, there are plenty of quality choices that are well under the 100 dollar mark. [cool]
[signature]
We also have more good recipes on the Recipe board. Check em out and see which one you like best.[cool]
[signature]
I was fishing with a set up that cost 40 bucks. It was a Johnson Century combo. I got the big one with an uglystick my brother loaned me. Man was he a monster. Anyways I am going to send my rod back to the company on Monday and get it replaced and I am going to go hunt for a set up today that will handle catfish and other large fish. I heard there are musky in the area I got the catfish and well I think I am going to try and get a Musky or a striper. I know I generally like closed face reels but I am thinking of going open face now that I know how to work one. Its not hard but it is a little weird getting use to. I like the St. Croix poles but I heard their warrenty sucks and service is poor. I was told I don't need one to fish from shore. I was told I was just paying for a name. I am going to go look around today though.
[signature]
HAHA oh man that is awesome. Good job on getting your revenge [cool]
[signature]