Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinnerbait Rigging
Since I've recently become re-interested in fishing again, I picked up a couple of Blue Foxes and Rooster Tails at the store a couple days ago in an attempt to get into spinner fishing. I fish for trout in stocked lakes mainly, but I'm going to move onto bigger fish in rivers soon.

After looking online through extensive googling and searching this forum, the only information about how to rig spinners I've gotten is that you're supposed to tie it directly to the line with no leader or anything. For lakes this makes it a little difficult to cast far enough. I've also heard it's bad to put swivels on since it kills the spinning action of the lure.

What are some of the better (correct) ways to rig a spinning lure? If I need more casting weight what should I do? Is it really bad to tie a leader in there like all my friends do?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi Elidon and welcome to the BFT. I would definely connect the spinner directly to the line. I would think that if your lure weight is properly matched to your rods specs distance shouldn't be a problem. Look at the specs on your rod near the handle. Besides lenght, flex and line weight it should also indicate lure weight. Let that be your guideline. How far are you looking to cast your lure? Remember casting should be more about accuracy than distance. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the warm welcome [Smile]

I'm bad at judging distance but I think my max cast with a spinner on is like 25' or so. Since I'm getting into fly fishing too maybe I'll just use some waders to solve the problem. I'll check the rod's lure weight specs in the morning...
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi Elidon Something doesn't sound right. I can easily cast a fly 50' and a lure on my medium ultra spinning rod well over 100'. If your line test is much greater than your rod's rating that would have some bearing on your casting distance. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Maybe I'm just not so good at casting. I checked everything and I have 8# test on my reel (which has a min. lb:yrd ratio of 8:160) and I'm generally using a 1/16 or 1/8 rooster tail or equivalent. Is the lure too light for my setup?

Well anyways I went fishing with my friend and he said I should use the same setup for spinners as I do for trout with a bait hook and powerbait: a weight, beads (optional), swivel, leader, then hook or in this case lure. We went out on the lake in his canoe and saw other people using the same setup.

Generally do you tie the spinner directly to line only in river scenarios and use a leader in lakes or just don't use spinners in lakes? My casting would appreciate the leader on there haha

Thanks again for the replies.
[signature]
the proper way to tie on a spinning lure is to tie on a barrol swivel about a foot and a half above the lure using the same or just a bit lighter line from the swivel to the lure.

you will seldom see people doing this, even I get lazy at times and will forgo the barrol swivel, and for those of us who dont face the dreaded inevatable line twist. there is no avoiding it with out taking some kind of action, meaning useing the swivel or stopping to manualy untwist your line by letting out the line behind the boat and troll with no lure on it. for a minute or two and retreive your line again...

and yes when I fail to use the barrol swivel I have that problem just like everyone else...

the larger the spinner the larger the barrol swivel you will need, and the higher test line you will need.

I have a couple mepps number 5's that feal like a lead ancor at the end of my rod.

to know what size barrol swivel to use, match the wire gage of the spinner to the wire gage of the swivel.
[signature]
I answered part of your info on my last reply to your first post, except I did not differentiate between a swivel and a swivel snap. do not use a swivel snap. Lake or river dosnt matter, its all the same...

her is your problem, your spinner is to light. not only are rod and reels rated to to line so is your lures.

for those light spinners I would not be using any line bigger than 4-6 pound test and I prefer to stay with the 4 if you realy want to get it out.

here is an easy way to rate your spinners,

for mepps and rooster tails
number 1 = 4lb test
number 2 = 6lb test
number 3 = 8lb test
number 4 = 10lb test
number 5 = 12lb test
number 6 = 15lb test

this only works for spinners other cranks have simmilar rattings

when using hand tied spinners the line equation depends on the depth you wish to fish and the size egg sinker you want to use, and here you will use a swivel snap and you will place the egg sinker on above the swivel. the egg sinker allows you to troll or cast with out creating line twist.

Hope this clears things up a little... Ya there is a lot to know about fissing, but after you have done it for 40+ years you kinda get the nack for it... half the fun is the learning how.

are you using bait cast or spin cast reel? I am a tree snagger when it comes to bait cast, spin cast have several ways of casting depending on the modle you are using...
[signature]