Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster MN Bass! pics
Got another huge bass today, this one hit a Ring-N tube plastic rigged backwards to imitate a crawdad...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]WOW. Great fish. Did you get any measurements...or weight?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice toads bro. Good job.[cool]
[signature]
Nope, I have to guess it was at least 5 pounds...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Unless you are a very small guy, I would add a couple of pounds to your estimate of the fish's weight. That is one hefty largie my friend.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I like what you are saying TD! I think I need to get a good scale. any suggestions on something good for weighing bass?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are a bajillion different makes and models. Most of the cheaper ones are "spring" scales that serve only to provide a "near nuff" reading. I recommend a good digital scale...with a heavy duty hook. Some of the cheapies have only small, weak hooks that can tear out of a fish. Not good if you are planning to release it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That brings up another point. If the fish is truly large, and you do plan to release it, hanging it on a scale is not good for it. Not only can it damage tissue around the mouth and/or gills, but it is not good for large fish to hang vertically. It can damage internal organs. Always better to support the fish horizontally, and to not even remove them from the water except for a quick photo...while supporting them in at least two places underneath.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you do have a biggie, try to get a quick length and girth measurement and then compute the weight later. Here is a link to an online [url "http://www.championbass.com/weight_calculator.html"]FISH WEIGHT CALCULATOR[/url] . It is not accurate to a tenth of an ounce, but it is near nuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have two digital scales. One I keep in my fillet kit and the other in my tube, for quick weigh and release...along with a tape measure. They are available in 15# and 50# max models. Here is a picture of one made by Rapala that sells for about $30.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: i014817sn01.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks! they have those rapala scales here, I think I will get one. How are they for water resistance? I hear what you are saying about hanging fish from scales before release, and I release all the fish that are big enough that I want ti get their weight. Mabye I could just weigh them in my net?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They are rated as "water resistant"...and they do have a feature that allows you to preset them to factor out the weight of a bag or net. This is the method used by a lot of competitive anglers...to put the fish in a mesh bag or net to weigh them and then remove the weight of the container.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a copy of the info on Cabelas:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[li]500-hour life on a single 9-volt battery [li]Stores up to eight weights [li]Water-resistant [/li] [Image: widetab.gif] [Image: black-spacer.gif] The large digital display is easy to read so you can spend your time fishing instead of deciphering scales. The incredibly rugged construction handles the abuse that fishing environments can dish out and the retractable handle makes it perfect for stowing away in your boat or tackle box. The 4-minute shutoff ensures that you save your batteries when the scale is not in use, giving you a full 500-hour life out of a single 9V battery (not included). Tare weight feature also lets you eliminate the weight from a bag or container so you get the most accurate and precise measurement possible. Choose from the 15-lb. model or the 50-lb. version to better match the species that you're after.
Available: 15-lb., 50-lb.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Now understand that I don't want to start a controversy, but I just had to put my two cents in here.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that if you are serious about weighing fish, it's better to do it in a net. (old habit of doing it on macks) I know that nets are not all that kind to the fish, but it's the lesser of two evils.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I cringe every time I see a photo of a fish hung by one of the popular lip grippers. I don't know why they are so popular for non-toothy fish. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]But to me, weighing a fish in the net, subtracting the weight of the net from the total is a much better way to weigh fish. And as far as non-toothy fish go, a wet hand body grab is a less damaging method.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are many tools, techniques and preferences when it comes to controlling and handling fish. I agree about the lip grippers. I would never suggest that anybody use them on fish they plan to release, unless it is simply to hold the head steady in the water while working out the hooks. I use them primarily for holding larger and/or toothy fish that I am keeping, while transporting them or taking photos. Unfortunately, a lot of folks do not take good care of the fish they release...if they release anything.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great fish! [cool]

Just an observation, and I may be looking at the pic wrong or something, but you said that you rigged the tube backwards to imitate crawdad. By the look of the picture,(and obviously this works) I think you rigged it to do exactly opposite what a crawdad would do. Craws swim "backwards" with their claws trailing. So having the "tenticles" of the tube at back seems to be the most natural crawdad look... IMO. [Smile]
[signature]
[black][size 3]If you have observed crawdads, you may want to rethink your statement that they "swim" with their claws forward.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Crawdads "walk" with their claws forward, but "swim" with them trailing, using the rapid "cupping" of their tail for propulsion, like shrimp and lobster.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I knew it didn't come out right, but that's what I meant. Trailing is the word I was looking for.

But I would think that I would want my tube to look as if the claws were trailing, as if they were trying to evade a predator.
[signature]