Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun with the DNR Police
I was out on my Kayak last night on the Magothy River in MD, (Chesapeake Bay) and I got stopped by the DNR Police boat about 15 minutes after sunset wethin sight of my putin (i was heading home)

The officer informed me that even with proper lighting that I could not be out on a Kayak after dark at all. I'm on a Ocean Kayak Drifter. It's barely still a Kayak with how big and wide it is.

I was Confused by this as Maryland Boating regulations say nothing of the sort. Infact they barly reference Kayaks at all.

I was told that it was a $200 fine but he was lettin me slide this time.

Confused by this I called the Maryland DNR Police headquarters today to pose the question about Kayaks after dark.

The Sergent told me that there were no such regulations. That Kayaks are clasified in the same catagory as rowboats and Canoes. All you need to be out after dark is a flashlight to shine when a boat approaches.

He told me that if the officer tickets me then to just take it to Court and I would win.

Strikes me as kind of Odd this whole thing.

I still want to go out after dark (the fishing is great) but I don't wanna be harrased by the DNR about fines that don't exist.

Anny suggestions?
[signature]
I would still go fishing at night but make sure that you have lights you need for a safe trip home.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Just get out and kick some BASS! You can always wear a head lamp orr something.

If it goes to court, then bring that head lamp with you and the you can wear a nice Smile[Smile]
[signature]
I picked up a "water legal" red/green light with a c-clamp that I have attached to my yak....
[signature]
Those are cool. I have one as well as the single "White" running light. The Coast guard cracks down pretty heavy on us here in Cali especiall when we hit the big Salty pond.[img]../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img]
[signature]
Good info. Thanks.

I'll hit up Bass Pro later on and see what I can find.
[signature]