Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out4afloat Jordanelle
Its your turn, the pictures have been sent to TD....

But for the trout fisherman out there here is something just for you....

The trout up at the nell are feeding on the top they start at 4:45 (that is when I got there) and taper off at 6:00 and by 6:15 hardly any thing going on...

They are taking small white flys they are even taking them off the rocks along the road...But its over by 6:00....

Oh yes some Bows are in the 20" range...

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26674;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26675;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26676;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26677;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26678;]

[signature]
A.M.?
[signature]
He's at a rodeo tonight but had enough time to drop by and show me what I missed my being sick this morning. What a day to miss out being on the water.

Even though the fishing was a little slow by your standards bassrods I know he had a great time.
[signature]
I was hopping for some bigger ones to come and play....

[signature]
Yes before coffee o-dark 30 and all that....

[signature]
Yep that sure was some fun fishing. Its enough to change a born and raised trout men into a bass man.[cool]
We may never have got into some big hogs like you wanted. But there were a couple that put a grin on my face.
Thanks for the trip, we will have to do it again soon.
[signature]
Come on now Out4afloat I know your a bass man now after that smalle you got [Wink] I seen you picking up rocks to through at the trout.....[cool]

[signature]
A day like that should make anybody want to persue some more bass i have only been going after trout this year and need to hit the nell to get in on some of the action
[signature]
The fry is showing up and the smaller perch and bass are after them as well as the trout and the bigger bass are after them just one big food feast.....

[signature]
When I was out there last weekend I saw about 20 or so small perch, maybe 2 1/2", floating on the surface. Some had moss growing on them but some were still twitching. What causes this? I saw the same thing last year but more often.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Wherever there are perch, there are dieoffs...sometimes in different sizes and year classes...sometimes across the board...like at Jordanelle two years ago. The same thing often happens with crappies in their smaller sizes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are about 3 potential causes...1. food supply 2. disease 3. sudden temperature changes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The food supply is the biggie. Many of our lakes do not have a lot of weed growth, with any kind of resident invertebrate population for the perchlets to feed on all during the year. Some lakes have areas of mud flats that produce hatches of aquatic insects or small worms, and the fry do fine until they can grow large enough to feed on the fry of their own and other species. But, whenever there are slim pickings in a given area, and the young fish cannot make a living, they die off. They do not know enough to migrate to better feeding areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In many cases, once the fry absorb their yolk sacs, they have to live on zooplankton, copepods and other tiny stuff. In a lake with poor nutrients, there is simply not enough of the bitty bits to support a large population of new hatchlings. Die off. That is a big thing with the crappies at Willard. The gizzard shad vacuum up so much of the invertebrate food material that the young of walleyes, crappies and other species sometimes do not make it through the fry stage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Perch are not as temperature sensitive as other species, but if a bunch of fry are caught in shallow water, during a major cold snap, they could stress and die. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In talking with a couple of DWR biologists about dieoffs among larger perch, I was told that there are assorted fish viruses and other ailments that can affect the fish within a specific area of the lake..or lakewide. And, many times, the diseases attack mostly the fish that are weakened by stress from hunger or temperature fluctuations. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, without a CSI analysis, it is difficult to say for sure exactly what is causing any particular mortality situation. But, without some form of natural control, we would be up to our bilge pumps in perch. It is for sure that natural causes kill off far more fish than anglers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
im going to try it on sunday hope i do as good as you
[signature]
A lot of the ones you see dyeing is from the trout or bass trying to eat them this time of year, the bass are just getting over the spawn and they are hungry....

[signature]