Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 6-21-2007
Launched from the state park north boat ramp in my buddies boat at 6 am. Took about 45 mins to get his usual spot in the 16 foot bass boat. Right off the bat, the waves were pretty big for the boat, a few times the water came over the bow and got me pretty wet but we pressed on, very little wind though, which I thought was weird for the waves that were on the water, but told that it was usually like this. So got to the spot, had a hard time anchoring anywhere, kept pushing us in shore. Then about 8 the waves stopped and it was pretty much flat until the skiers came out. About 815 got one 7lb, then about 20 mins later another, then nothing for about an hour, so we decided the move down the shore a little and then my buddy Rick pulled on a 16lb'er, wow what a fish. Luckily he was using 17lb test line so no problem. I on the other hand only fish with 4lb test on my ultra light, I figure until I catch one I cannot handle on my ultra light then I may use a stronger test line using my 2nd pole permit. Plus I find it more challenging reeling a 8lb kittie on 4lbs test, everyone I fish with gives me a lot of crap, but for me it is more fun. From about 9 to 1130 there was one after another 5-8lbs range coming in. We kept about 9 for a fish fry this weekend.

Caught everyone one on "bar s" hot dogs. Tried a few other baits, meats, worms, even other brands of hot dogs, but something about the bar s brand really gets em going. Caught a white bass on a hot dog, thought that was kinda funny.

Bean
[signature]
That's a long haul on Utah Lake, 45 minutes! Thats commitment. Must be a good spot.
[signature]
Nice fish! Bar-S.... LOL... nice. [Tongue]
[signature]
Nice cats.
That's great catching some thing that big on 4 pound test.
Must have been quite a fight.
I broke a couple off on 10 lb test yesterday.
[signature]
Nice post. I was wondering when the cats would turn on. Fished the north part of the lake Weds. caught 2 in the 3-4 lb. range wasn't trying for cats it was a nice bonus. Hot dogs thats funny never use then in Ut. but do in AZ have even caught Lg. mouths on them. Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
[cool]Nice report and pics, man. Thanks for sharing. That 16 pounder is a HAWG!! That sucker must have put up one heck of a fight. Looks like your buddy has a perfect spot. They are in full spawn right now and they are definitely are hangin' in a rocky type area right now to have their orgys. I'm gonna take my tube out for them in the next week or two...
[signature]
where do u launch your tube from? We went to to state park but did not see a good spot for a tube. I recently got into tubing and would love to tube it.

Bean
[signature]
[#0000ff]There are lots of good spots to tube for kitties around Utah Lake. At the state park, you need to launch at the last ramp and kick your way out past the no fishing area inside the harbor. Lots of cats both inside and outside. Some of the best in that area is just north of the north dike. You can also go the other way, and fish out around the mouth of the Provo River.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Quite a few BFTers fish the Lindon Boat Horbor area from tubes and toons. Sometimes good inside the harbor. Launch from the ramp. Most times you will do better for more and bigger kitties by kicking your way outside the harbor and fishing either north or south. Lots of spots and it takes a while to learn them. Right now the water weeds are getting too thick to fish well away from the shore, but you can still find a lot of fish right up in the shoreline reeds...fishing bait below a bobber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my favorite tubing spots is Lincoln Beach. You can launch off the shallow beach in front of the facilities, or you can drive out on the south dike and launch from several spots on the end. Lots of good cattin in that area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still another prime area for cat tubin' is over on the West Side, to the west of Pelican Point. Several dirt roads go down off the highway to deeply rutted roads along the lakeshore. Probably the best place for most vehicles is the area called "The Knolls". Take the dirt road turnoff at Mile Marker 19 to drive down to the lake and then follow the roads in either direction to find suitable camping or launching spots. Warning. It can be crowded with wacko campers on weekends and it is a popular area with the shooting crowd. Not uncommon to fish to the accompanyment of gunfire and to have bullets whizzing overhead. Bring your kevlar fishing jacket and a good helmet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]