Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Madison help ?
Hey all..I'm heading up to the Madison on 7 July for a week and was wondering if anyone has a good wag on what's gonna be best as far as patterns to use up there that time of year. Went last year a couple of weeks earlier and did well on a green serendipity and golden stone nymph so I'll bring some of those again. Any word on when the salmon fly hatch might be hittin ? I always seem to be a few days early for that so hopefully we'll hit it this year.Anybody been up there recently ?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks !
[signature]
Probably your best bet would be to look up some of the local (West Yellowstone) fly shops and give them a call. They will point you in the right direction. Try to buy your flies before you go as I am sure you know what their prices will be like.[pirate]
[signature]
I just got back from a 9 day trip to Florida but right before I left I heard that the salmonfly hatch was already moving up the Upper Madison to Varney Bridge. People were doing well with salmonfly, goldenstone and caddis dries as well as salmonfly and caddis nymphs at that time. You might be a bit late for salmonflies this year.
[signature]
Chernobyle Ants! at least for an indicator, then nymphs (I do well with a black haresear, but olive also) Check o0ut the THREE DOLLAR BRIDGE.....beautiful!
[signature]
That's exactly where we'll be fishing.We stay at Wade Lake about 4 miles up the dirt road that Three Dollar Bridge is on.What size droppers are you using off your ants??
[signature]
#10 or #12. Caught the biggest Brown of my life right under the bridge off that big rock. Bounced off the rock and let it settle in the pool behiond it...suddenly my ant disappeared and GAME ON! I was about 2' to 3' dropper.
[signature]
Cool...thanks for the info. I'll let you know how we did when I get back on 16 July.
[signature]