Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear scare at Smith and Morehouse.
Upper CG closed until further notice. Lots of DWR activity up there today. Bear has been spotted numerous times in the lower CG and around the lake as well.

If you have plans to head up there this weekend they are allowing camping around the lake at the turnouts.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3]I can understand all the precautions inregards to bears and possible attacks after the incident earlier this week. But I think we are going a little overboard. So my question to the DWR and such, are we going to close down areas in our national forests everytime someone sees a bear? Us as outdoor enthusiasts need to be aware of the danger and possiblities that exist in our mountains and wilderness areas, and with these dangers take the necessary steps and precautions to minimize the inherant dangers.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
I agree no need to close every campground in the state down because someone maybe saw a bear there. With the incident last week I'm sure most will be more aware of the dangers.
[signature]
Right on Polo Kid!!!!!!!!!!! With caution and awareness we can coexist with nature or let fear rule our lives. We should educate ourselves and family on things concerning safely in the outdoors. I too think the DNR is a little paranoid.
[signature]
AGREED!! People need to remember that WE are the ones camping in THEIR living rooms. Its part of the outdoor experience, part of nature. You have to be prepared just in case, but there is not need to close evry campground in the mountains because there might be a bear around. Notice how nobody mentions the mountain lions! I would be more worried about the lions than the bears. Heck I have seen the lions within 1/4 mile of Weber State University, and they have been on the campus at U of U, so are we going to close down the schools???

My oppinion is that all these people who are making a big deal about these bear sightings are just looking for a place to lay blame. If you don't have a clean camp you should expect to see a bear. Bears don't come looking for people, the come looking for the people's food.

Thats my .05 worth.
[signature]
Reminds me of the people up on the south mountain complaining that the deer were eating their vegetables and grass. They expect the deer to go somewhere else, they have almost ran out of 'somewhere else'.
[signature]
I need to clarify... In the upper CG the bear was more than spotted. It was a nuisance that had lost its fear for humans in trade for a picnic basket several times this last week. There had also been a bear spotted mulling the lower campground during the day on a couple of occasions.

I agree we have to realize that we are in their front yard and we have to be the ones cautious.

I was posting this as an FYI to people headed up there this weekend.
[signature]
CAMP GROUNDS ARE FEADING GROUNDS. YOU WE ARE ALL SAFER IN DEEP WOODS THAN AROUND CAMP GROUNDS. EVERY BEAR ATTACK IN UTAHS RECANT HISTORY HAS BEEN IN OR BY A CAMP GROUND. WHEN WAS THE LAST REPORTED BACK COUNTRY ATTACK? BEAR AROUND PEOPLE LOOSE THER FEAR OF MAN. BEARS IN WOODS FEAR MAN. IM NOT SAYING IT ISNT POSSIBLE BUT WAY LESS PERCENTAGE OF INCEDENTS. AT LEAST HERE IN UTAH.
[signature]