Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 6/22
Hit Pinewview with Hookjaw, my cousin, and a few friends yesterday. Our target again were the panfish, and again we really got into them.

The day started with my cousin (beginner fisherman) bringing in a nice crappie! I followed up with a nice one of the same brush pile, and then from there on we caught fish consistantly. Crappie, perch, bluegill, and mudders would slam the jig as long as you could get it in close to a submerged brush pile. Fun, fun!

About 2 hours in I had a hit that about took the rod out of my hands, set the hook, and line started screaming off of my reel. I am using a ML rod with 4lb test, so I play the fish into the deep water. Finally get it up, and it's about a 12lb carp. Yay [cool] Luckily, TD has showed me the art of the gillectomy, so I practiced on the carp and let him go. Swam right away! [Tongue]

Hot jig for us was one of TubeDudes white ice jigs with the crystal flash tail. 1/32oz I believe. Tipped with a piece of crawler.

Final totals for my cousin and I were about 20-25 crappie, and about 40 perch or so. Many gills in the mix, and about 10-12 cats. Great day to be on the water. [cool]
[signature]
Great report Tyler, thanks for sharing. I'm guessing at this late date the crappie spawn is over, do you think that is the case? WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Love those multispecies days. I have been averaging about 3 species per trip...4 at Mantua.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you remembered the CG procedure (complimentary gillectomy). There are many ways to accomplish it, but as long as the patient does not survive it is deemed a good outcome.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also glad you are still putting the ice trinkets to use. We found those little critters to be the best BDS (bait delivery system) on Mantua yesterday too. Surprising that sometimes fishing from a tube is so much like ice fishing. Cool...but you don't need an auger or ice cleats.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Spawns defenitely over. No eggs in any of the fish, and they are starting to put some meat back on. Where I am catching them doesn't seem to be spawning grounds either. Mud bottom. [Smile]
[signature]
Funny how downsizing and fishing slow this time of year can be the best way to target panfish.

It was actually a 5 species day for me! Carp, bluegill, crappie, perch, and mudcats. Next time I'll need to get a musky and a smallie. [cool]
[signature]