Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
casting with an ultralight
been using a shakespeare ultralight combo (wal-mart cheapy), 5'6" with an open face reel. typically casting out bout 30 foot max with an 1/8 oz lure on 4# spiderwire. is there any tips or changes i can make to cast out a little further? fishin from shore and usually round plenty of trees and stuff so i like the shorter rod length for keepin me out of em.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there CCR - sometimes it just a simple adjustment as to how much line you have extending from the tip of your rod to your lure. I usually like to keep about a 2' length. I have a medium ultra using a Shimano reel rated at 2-6lb test. I have no problem getting out 100'. Never measured my cast but I know it is longer than when I cast a fly which I can get it out 50' or more.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
thanks for the tip, i have been keepin the lures pretty close to the tip for clearin tress and stuff around me and just never let out anymore when conditions werent so tight. much appreciated.
[signature]
spider wire is a little stiffer than quality mono or polimer lines.

I know the wire is expencive but I would unspool it or get an extra spool just for light tackle.

as a line gets old its casting quality deteriates. changing your line every year should be done every year as well...

spider wire also requires lubricant, the more you use the line the more lubricant on the wire is lost. check at bass pro or cabelas for line lubricants. its not expencive, a bottle costing 4-5 dollars will last the life time of the reel... dont use wd-40 its not the same stuff and dose not have the same vicosity.
[signature]
Thats weird usually a braid will out cast a mono..
expishly with a spin cast...
[signature]