Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 6/23/07
We fished Strawberry Saturday morning in the Renegade area and had good success. We started out in the morning jigging for cutts and caught a few. We were spending as much time playing with our new bow mount motor as we were fishing though! But, the fish seemed willing to hit and seemed to like the radical glow tubes we were using. We tipped the tubes with chub meat or worms.

We could have continued to jig but we wanted to try and catch a few kokes. So, we headed out into deeper water. We caught kokes, but they weren't that big (around 15 inches or so). We also caught a ton of cutts while trolling. Its hard to keep them off long enough to really focus on kokes up there! But, thats a good problem to have because they are fun too. We were trolling with hyper plaid dodgers and UV squids from Rocky Mt Tackle. The pink crushed dodger also worked well. We also caught a bunch of cutts on wedding rings trailing the same dodgers.

Not too bad for our first trip to the Berry since ice fishing!
[signature]
Thanks for the report . I tried most of the day today and no kokes . I did hear of some being caught by others , but the cutts kept hitting my line . I do better for kokes on the Soldier Creek side but gave it a swirl today at the Berry side . One bow to break up the cutts . Been cacthing lots of bigger cutts that look like ghost . I think there slime has been clean off . Even seen some hand prints on a few . I even had a double on jigging for a spell but lost one of them .
[signature]
I had a tough time at the berry Sunday the 25th. Only caught about 12 in 8 hours between 2 of us. It should get better in a couple weeks after the spawn is over.
[signature]
Trolling is the way . I think I boated about 25 fish but most were the smaller fish trolling with downrigger . Jigging was the best for the bigger fish at first light . Trout creek bay , I only boated 2 fish there . You must of spooked them all . [Wink] And I am proud to say not a single chub was hooked . They were every where too .
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I haven't been up their since the ice...I need to change my wicked ways.
[signature]
Now I don't feel so bad! [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I was up there two weekends ago and experienced the same thing you did while trolling! They were all small, but still fun.
Sounds like you had a good time.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
We fished the berry on Sat. and caught about 20 all but 3 were in the slot. they were caught 40' down with a homemade spinner following 2 slingblades.
I also caught a few on Fri. night on a black maribou fly on top trolling at 1mph.
We caught no Kokes but I heard a report of some being taken by Mud Creek.
[signature]
Yeah, a buddy of mine fished it sunday near mud creek and caught a lot of kokes. He also caught some nice ones up to 18-19 inches. He was fishing viper spoons. I like that area, but wanted to try renegade for my first trip up. I guess I blew it! All well, we still had fun and caught a ton of fish!
[signature]
Mud Creek was were I heard the kokes were at saturday . Pink was the color and I tried pink needlefish for most of the day with no luck on the kokes . Need more pink lures because that was all I had in pink . I have never tried a apex lure but I heard they were working .
[signature]
Both pink and orange hoochies were working for us, but pink did have the edge by a bit. Apexes work great, but get the Apex brand and not the pro troll brand. Pro trolls suck in my opinion.(just can't get the proper action) Unfortunately I haven't been real happy with Apexes color selection, but they have improved that a bit this year. Stick with the small sizes, and try the UV pink one! They do need to be trolled a little faster to make them work right (around 2.2 should be good). Also, make sure you have your leader behind the dodger at around 30 inches so it has room to work... or run them without a dodger if you want (although I suggest using a dodger for added attraction).

Good luck, bkidder
[signature]