Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charleston harbor
Anyone been to CH lately? I am wondering how rough the water gets there. I have a small 14 ft Jon boat and was thinking about trying to go chase some Jacks down there. My trip to MI was not very good. The tides were wacky and the fish didnt seerm to be in the Inlet. When I was packing up on Sat I started seeing alot of baitfish moving in. I did go out on a head boat about 45 miles of the coast and had some decent fishing. I will post some pics soon.
[signature]
Has the bait fish not been running like they should? Has the flounder fishing been good? This time last year , by June anyway , the mullet would be in the creeks and fishing was not to bad.
[signature]
There were quite a few ppl Flounder fishing. Most of the ppl I talked to said they caught 1-2. I tried a little...Bouncing mud minnows of the bottom. I didnt have any luck. The tides were getting really high and very low. I would have thought that would be a good thing....but a few baitshops said that was making the fishing tough. I saw some small pods of mullet moving in and out of the Inlet were i was fishing. The last day I was there I started seeing huge pods of mullet moving In. I guess i went a week to early!! I still had a good time exploring the area with my jon boat. Here are some pics of the fish caught off the Capt Dicks head boat I went on. It was a long trip...3 hour ride to the fishing...around 5 hours of fishing and 3 hour ride back!

Lots of sick ppl on the boat. My back is still soar from all the bouncing . Even when parked you always had to hang on to the railing on the boat.....Just got beat to death. I would reccomend this trip to ppl who are in good shape and dont care about being comfortable. Also the food on the boat sux....So pack a good lunch!

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7614/cat/500/ppuser/50514"][Image: MI.jpg][/url][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7616/cat/500/ppuser/50514"][Image: Small_King_mac.jpg][/url][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7612/cat/500/ppuser/50514"][Image: Crazy_Brother.jpg][/url]
[signature]
The bait is far from running the way is usually does. We didn't even have a spring run of kings this year. It's like we jump from winter, to a week of spring, right into summer. The menhaden aren't on key yet, as you'll see a school from time to time, but nothing serious. I've seen mullet in the creeks, but they are spooky like how they are on thier early run. Very difficult to catch, and even see. I think the ultra high and low tides the flyguy experianced was the moon tide. If I remember correctly, it was a full moon when he was over on the coast.

And by the way T bone, you going to make it down for our little camping/fishing trip here in a couple weeks? Looking foward to having you along. You and your wife have a reserved slot on my boat if you decide to tag along. I can only hold about 4 other anglers, not counting myself. I probably won't be doing much fishing, as i'll be more concentrated on skippering and doing first mate duties. [pirate] LOL What I intended on doing is maybe trolling first thing for a bit to try and snag a few spanish to eat for dinner. Then, head out to the reef and stick a few live baits on the bottom and maybe one on top to see what's going on. Maybe then finish the day with a big shark or two. It should be a good trip, granted the weather even permits us to go out.
[signature]
AS far as I can tell you now I will be coming. I have to work Fri. and I told my boss I wanted off that weekend and he said nothing so I take that as OK. Cheryl has to see now. If we make it for real I'll let you know ASAP. We would love to go out on the boat and see the beach from a different view as well as some fish to eat. We will want to check out our regular fishing hole also. So I'll keep you up to date as soon as I can....
[signature]
Hey Tarpon...Are you still heading to the coast on the 14 and 15 ? If you have room on the boat I might make the journey from Gville. Also Anyone interested in trying to hook up on some Jacks in charleston? They are some serious fighting fish! Im going to try and get some with my flyrod. Everyone recommends a 10 wt rod....biggest I have is a 8 wt......Hopefully I want get spooled!![sly]
[signature]
I have a 9wt and would like to ask you what kind of flies do you use or recomend to use in saltwater for a all round kind of fishing. I like to flounder and trout??? I keep on wanting to use it when I go but everytime I do I get into useing something ealse. I guess I'll just have to make myself use it. I'm new to fly fishing. I do know I have a 20lb backing , a floating line I'm not sure of size right off hand and I have wt. forward leader, one for trout ,one for bass, one for pratice.
[signature]
My boat is just under 21' long, so it might be fairly packed if everyone shows up that already has a slot. If you'd have come along sooner, I could have hooked you up. [Sad] But, there's plenty of summer left. I can usually fish 4 decently comforatable on my boat, that's with me driving, 5 total on the boat. T-Bone and his wife already had a promised spot, and Mattscru and Jimflash (the other two organizing the get together) of course had a reserved slot. But, if someone drops out, you're next in line. T Bone doesn't know for sure if he can go or not, so if he drops out, you're on. If nothing else, I was going to arrange for boat rentals for everyone else that comes. Capt. Dicks rents boats, as well as a few other places right along there. On a calm day, one of thier pontoon boats can make it to paradise reef. They could just follow me out and back; granted there is an experianced of enough boat driver available. I might even be able to borrow the services of Capt. Shannon for this specific weekend. [cool] (Doc)
[signature]
Thats cool Tarpon just keep me updated. Are you interested in chasing some jacks in charleston?
[signature]
T-bone you want the line weight to match the rod weight. So if you have a 9wt rod you should have a 9 wt line. The leader type depends on what kinda water and fish you are targeting. I would start out with a 7-8 foot leader with atleast 12 inches of shock tippet tied on the end. 20-30 lb shock tippet should do fine. As far as flies go...Clousers ,Decievers,and spoonflies. I didnt have much luck when I was down in MI a week ago but it was during the Moontides......The fishing was pretty bad with live bait too........Anyways good luck!
[signature]
So if I understand you right its best not to take a reel from a 6wt set up and put it on a 9wt set up. So what I need to do is get me a reel just for the 9wt rod. Because I was thinking I could just change it back & forward but I can't if I want my tools to function correct. Is this right???
[signature]
Yeah you want the line wt to match the rod wt. You can get by sometimes going up or down 1 wt . If you try casting a 9 wt line with a 6wt rod you will have problems. The rod will not load correctly...The rod would most likely not be stiff enough to push the line. Also you want the reel to hold enough backing.....So lets say you pull the 6wt line of your reel and put a 9 wt line on..You would have to pull off almost all of you backing to get the 9wt line to even fit on the reel.
[signature]
Man, that sound like an awesome trip, but i'm not sure about anything at the present time. I posted a thread on the Moderators board, but i'll explain here as well. I got laid off my job not long ago with a one days noticed. I was pretty pissed off, as with a wife and kids, it put me in a bad spot. You think he'd let me know a week or two in advance so I could hunt for another job. So, I don't know if i'll have enough money to do much of anything. LOL, but that's how it is. I should hear something from this place i've been interviewing with either today or tomorrow. I filed for unemployment and all that mumbo jumbo. We'll just have to see. That's what I get for working for a small company. [unimpressed]
[signature]