Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly tying video
..as most of you know I was able to get the finance manager to loosen up this past weekend and she let me pick up a few things for myself... and even though I have gone back and forth on this a lot I did succumb do the temptation to buying a fly tying kit.. it is a cheap one with the reasoning that I will not of lost much if I find out that I dont really have an interest in tying.. if I do like the tying I can always buy a better quality setup later.. now..

.. does anyone here have recommendations for either a dvd that I can buy or a good series of clips on line that show the basics of fly tying such as dressing the hook... or using a specific tool.. that type of thing.. I dont neccessarily need specific flies.. yet.. lol..

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I got a few video's of how to tie specific flies (got some from Netflix) Does the fly store you visit have videos?
Dry Rod just started a few years ago also, maybe he can help on that.
By the way my first vise was around $15. I tied on that till it broke a few years later, but it did fine.
I recommend a rotary later on only because I use a lot of dubbling loops and a rotary is the only way to do these for me.
[signature]
....san diego fly shop probably does carry videos but I honestly forgot to look.. must be that new "age" thing for me.. [laugh]

..since the kit had a vise.. a bobbin.. a bobbin threader, whip finishing tool, a pari of scissors.. and two tools I did not recognize (one looked like a thick needle coming out of a thicker handle.. the other looked like bug antennae sticking out of a handle.. ).. I dont expect it to last forever... but should be a good starter to give me a tastes of fly tying.. then I can move up to vises like the new one you got from your hubby... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
forgot to mention before.. Jeff at the San Diego fly shop was really impressed with the flies you sent me in the wooden box.. really liked the carp flies... in fact he said the ones that look like a piece of bread are suppose to imitate the seeds that drop off of a tree. .. I think he said dogwood but dont quote me on the species of the tree... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]Well now that is another fine mess you got into there MCF55/56. LOL Welcome to fly tiers anonymous. The two tools that you reference the first one is a bodkin which is used to apply head cement a drop at a time. The handle end should have a hole in it which you can use to tie a ½ hitch and the one that looks like an antenna is a threader. Insert the thin double wire through the shaft of your bobbin, insert the thread between the two wires and extract. BTW I uploaded a how to video re the whip finisher on this board a while back. I have numerous how to files & Internet videos[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]on tying files of all sorts. Will sort through and send you some via e-mail. Have included a picture of the most traditional tools. Your whip finisher may look different but it's application is the same. Have fun & good luck. [/size][/#008000][/font] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26922;]
[/center]
[signature]
Why thank you my friend.. :-)... I have done a little of that on line thing today already and got some info to use.. not videos at this time but working on it... but did get some decent printouts with pictures to use as an example...

MacFly
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Check your e-mail MacFly55/56.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Checked and still perusing.. .lol.. what I am most interested in for now anyway is video that shows basic things.. like dressing the hook.. attaching material to the hook.. etc.. I found some stuff at
this site[url "http://www.kidfish.bc.ca/basic_fly.htm"] KID FISH[/url].. so I am still perusing there as well.. hehehee

I did buy a beginner kit for wooly bugger.. give enough material and instructions for 12 flies.. but.. does not explain simple thing like.. dressing the hook etc...

MacFly
[signature]
Dry Rod answered you on the needle in a handle (Bodkin, for picking hair or feather fibers out) The thing that looked like bug antenna is probably a Dubbing Tool. They also come with what looks like a "W".
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there FGD didn't think that a starter kit would come with a dubbing tool. The threader reminds me of a little antenna- no?[/size][/green][/font] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26928;][/center]
[signature]
I was thinking that same thing later this afternoon.. since it is stiffer and has two "antennae"....lol...

MacFly
[signature]
[size 1]..since the kit had a vise.. a bobbin.. a bobbin threader, whip finishing tool, a pari of scissors.. and two tools I did not recognize (one looked like a thick needle coming out of a thicker handle.. the other looked like bug antennae sticking out of a handle.. ).. I dont expect it to last forever... but should be a good starter to give me a tastes of fly tying.. then I can move up to vises like the new one you got from your hubby... [laugh] [/size]

Well okay, he mentioned the bobbin threader, and from the description I pictured this:
[inline spinning-loop-tool.jpeg]

And when I mentioned the other dubbing tool with the "W"

[inline dubbit-tool.jpeg]

Of course the handles vary, but I have seen complete sets come with a dubbing tool.
[signature]
[blush][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I need to stop scan reading. Missed something in Mac's comments [/size][/green][/font]"[size 1]since the kit had a vise.. a bobbin.. a bobbin threader, whip finishing tool, a pari of scissors.. and two tools I did not recognize" [/size][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]and just assumed he was making reference to a threader. Duh he did mentioned that didn't he! Some of the old indoor TV antennas were a one piece circular devise & that is what came to mind. Okay FGD I'm going to my room now. BTW although I know what a dubbing tool is used for I don't have one. Maybe I should pick one up for I find it a pain to get just a little bit of dubbing to adhere to the thread properly & evenly.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I use a dubbing loop all the time for that reason, plus you get buggier bodies. A couple of tricks when using a dubbing loop is when you get to the bend of the hook and make your loop, wrap you thread around the loop by the hook so you don't have one side of thread on one side of the hook and the other one on the other side. It is like a knot at the hook connection. Keeps the thread closer together and one won't slide.
The other trick is to take a clump of dubbing and keep pulling it between your two hands so the fibers are all facing the same direction. Not sure any of that makes sense, but it worked for me.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there FGD noticed that there are several different types on the market. Which one[s] do you find to be the most practical?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
The one I use is a little pricie, but I worked there so it was okay[Wink]
Here is the one I have but it comes with both the Antenna and the "W". The antenna is for smaller flies (I think) but I always use the "W" for all flies. I also have the one in the picture with the wood bottom, but don't care for it. I like it to have a little weight so I can hang it.
[url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=884P&dir_id=1273&group_id=1279&cat_id=5206&subcat_id=6154"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=884P&dir_id=1273&group_id=1279&cat_id=5206&subcat_id=6154[/url]
[signature]
....yes it was or is the y dubbing tool. had to double check... lol.. now.. FG... in that link.. is that a situation for a rotating vise.. let the tool hand (thus the weight)... and rotate to bring the dubbing up to the fly????

MacFly
[signature]
Well, like I said I never use the Bug Antenna one which you could probably wrap the dubbing without a rotary. If I try to wrap with the "W" it will slide off, so yeas with the weight I can leave it hang and just turn the hook. Plus the big knob at the top is easy to spin, plus it has a long handle to hold onto. I have seen the Antenna ones that look like just the two wires with a ball of lead like a big sinker on the bottom and you just spin that. Kinda hard to describe this stuff.[crazy]
[signature]
lol.. I know.. but is fun... was thinking this morning ... is there a good book out with basics of tying (like tool used.. dressing the hook etc) that may include flies with patterns...

btw.. this pattern thing is gonna be the next huge discussion.. ya'll put out a recipe.. and thats it.. thats like handing me flour, eggs, sugar, powdered chocolate and a can of coconut and telling me to make a German chocolate cake... aint gonna happen unless you tell me how to do it step by step.. so.. do ya'll just know that with this recipe I do this.. with that one I do that...etc.. lol...

MacFly
[signature]
Mac, check this book out: [url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=01EH&dir_id=1273&group_id=1289&cat_id=5126&subcat_id=6699"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choic...at_id=6699[/url]

The paperback is a reasonable price, but you might find it cheaper.
This book will answer everything you are asking, plus receipes in the back for a bunch more flies.
I still recommen that at some point you get the FLY TIERS BENCHSIDE REFERENCE either in book or DVD. It is a must have.
[signature]