Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Largest Largemouth Bass Ever!!
hello Fishermen and Fisherwomen,

I was surfing the internet last night and stumbled across this article about Leaha Trew from Santa Rosa, California. On August 24, 2003 she caught a largemouth Bass that weighed 22 pounds, 8 ounces at Spring Lake.

However she released the fish and basically through away the chance of winning 8 million dollars.

[Image: Recordbass-l.jpg]

WOW that must hurt big time.

Check out the article: [url "http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/article-display/587.html"]http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/article-display/587.html[/url]
[signature]
Welcome aboard MuskyMax.

The whole world scrutinized that photo and report when it came out. There were too many inconsistencies in the report and the process to validate her catch.

It would have been a nice Bass though.

Do you Bass fish??? We also have a special forum just for the Bass Anglers. It encompasses the LMB, SMB, Stripers, White Bass, Wipers, Yellow Bass, Rock Bass and any other types of Bass that you can catch.

Please feel free to join us there sometime.[cool]
[signature]
Carefully check out the photo. You'll also see that she has the manliest forearm and hand that you've ever seen! Looks really suspicious to me.
[signature]
She's the man! ha ha.

She is using the outstretched arm trick to make the Bass look bigger.

Here is a 10lb bass that I caught. Notice that I am holding the fish closer to my body.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5031;]
[signature]
Nice lookin' bass, tubeN2. Congratulations. Looking at your pic, I believe your bass photo is real. Sorry I can't say the same for the girl's above.
[signature]
Sorry for my ignorance but I have a question. Are these bass good to eat?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Good to eat?[/size][/black]
[size 3]No, but if butchered properly, chunks of the flesh make pretty good bait for carp and catfish. LOL!!![/size]
[signature]
My signatue lines explains about the Bass. "Bass are Toys" to me. I play with my toys and put them back when I am done.

Some people actually eat the Large Mouth Bass. I tried it one time and didn't care for the taste.

They are fun to catch and nicer on a fly rod.[cool]
[signature]
So what keeps the bass population from exploding?
[signature]
There are not enough of us that Catch & Release the Large Mouth Bass.
For those who take them home for food, it is fine. Others take them home, put them in the freezer, forget about them and throw them in the trash after they realize how bad the Large Mouth Bass taste anyways.

That is one of the ways that the numbers are kept in check. One of the other ways is that when you have other species in the water, they tend to eat a percentage of the eggs and then a percentage of the newborn fry.[unsure]
[signature]
[cool] If I want to keep bass to eat I will keep the smaller fish (Louisiana has a 12" length minimum that you can keep) and I only keep enough that I know that we will eat.
[signature]
agreed, smaller ones do make better table fare,

better still are the ones caught though the ice, I beleive minnisota allows you to keep bass caught thought the ice, I beleive I have read that in minnasota if you bring the fish out of the iced over water, "called Iced" it goes on your daily limmit no matter what the size, its yours to keep. It do get cold up that way for sure, and I guess they figure you cant release them fast enough.

michigan our minimum limmit for keeping is 14 inches, and our season is closed most of the ice fishing season, I say most because if we get ice before the end of december we can keep them.

I like to keep one bass per year, " no bigger than 17 inches and not during the middle of summer to early fall.

blue gill, crappie and perch are my main table fare. and these guys are what realy keep the bass from exploding, because while the bass are fry they are targeted food for these pan fish.
[signature]
In the freshwater streams and lakes of our country, the bass is among the top tier predators. That means, that the population of bass can only grow to the level that can be supported by the forage in the lake or stream. If for some reason, the population of bass gets larger than the forage bass can support, then the whole population of bass will remain small and "stunted" fish. If the overpopulation problem persists, then some disease will get started in the population and cause many fish to die-off. Also, any number of environmental factors as calamities such as high run-off, drought and dramatic drops in water levels, sudden changes in temperature or pH, long periods of cloudy days causing vegetation to die-off and remove oxygen from the water, etc. work to keep the fish populations under control. Its all a balancing act that Mother Nature has played for millions of years. Even in the best of times, a little bass that is hatched in a native bass bed in one of our lakes only stands a 1 in 100,000 chance of successfully growing up to be 20" long. Not good odds.

Regards & Good Fishin'
[signature]