Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye Questions???
In what order do you eliminate lures for walleyes. I usually start with cranks that have produced in the past. If that fails then i usually move on to other species or just keep trolling what i am using. Just wondering what you guys do to decide what lures or techniques to use at the specific time.
BTW: Caught 5 more already this week.
[signature]
Well,

I go to Smith and Edwards and look at the bargain bin for Frenzy's, and then make uneducated guess' as to what will work. Sometimes I get lucky.... LOL [Tongue]
[signature]
dude. i actually liek frenzy lures alot. they've never let me down..
[signature]
It all depends on what lake or res. your fishing. walleyes stay close to their prey, what ever that might be, perch, smelt, ailwives, shad, and so on. it also depends on what the wind is doing. in other words there is no set, start point for walleyes. willard bay has shad, trolling cranks would be a good start for their. if you are seeing alot of fish on the bottom try bottom bouncers. if their is no wind try a lindy rig with worms and move at paint drying speed. A slight breezee, try bottom bouncers, good wind to strong try cranks.
I could go on and on and on with differant setups for the lake you are fishing. day in and day out, a bottom bouncer will get fish..
then there's jigs, they will always get fish in shallow to deep.
later chuck
[signature]
Me thinks you just need to come up and teach me how to do it Chuck.[cool][blush]
[signature]
Haha... I was thinking the same thing. [angelic]
[signature]
OK, heres my question.. whats a walleye??[angelic][laugh]
[signature]
well chucks has sold the farm here guys. what he shared is huge. its just a mater of aplication. it always deppends on the body of water in what i start off with. if i know the fish and their habbits at the water body. i just go with what i know. if im looking for active fish. troll a bottom bouncer after ive graffed fish. if they get at it go back a fourth threw we all know this. but when the bite slows ther are still fish ther to be caught. slow it down with a lindy. when jigging go to a lighter head. this forces you to slow down in order to keep offering on the bottom, where the eye live. if your not hitting the bottom you wont get as many fish as the guy who is snagging up and loosing set ups. like chuck mentioned in wind and weather troll fast with cranks. thats a great fish getter in summer. the waves scare everyone off the shallows and the eyes move in shallower or suspend up in the colom and bite like a trout.
[signature]
Here ya go, a close-up of a giant walleye that was caught in the basin. later chuck
[inline "Wall Eye.bmp"]
Edited by LH2 [#ff0000](400 pixels max width with inline posts)[/#ff0000]
[signature]
I go through productive styles first - switching colors.

Change area

Change styles - switching colors

Change area

Change tactics.

Change areas

You can't set yourself in a rut with one preserntation pattern and stick to it hoping you'll hit. Certain times of the year on varied bodies of water call for certain productive patterns generally.. but its too easy to get caught up in what HAS worked and sticking to your "confidance baits/presentations". I've found in my experience on certain bodies of water that jumping spots puts more fish in the boat than hammering old faithful.
[signature]
i agree totaly with move around change pres move again. after ive caught all the active fish. why waist the gas. but when the bite dies. im on the hunt for active fish again.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help guys, I learned one thing about walleyes... I know nothing.[Wink]
[signature]
Hey Brody, here's somthing to look at, and after all this, I still don't know enough. later chuck
oooppppss I guess I forgot to add the pic, it was a long night.
[signature]
Like I said in an earlier post, I like to keep it simple.

-Mark underwater structure and mark fish and baitfish (no sense fishing where there is no fish to catch).
-Fish the spot in the water column the fish are hiding out (in my experience with summer walleye, this is usualy near the bottom, but not always).
-If fish are on the bottom, I jig different colour plastics until I find one the fish like.
-If fish are suspended, or feeding near the top, I try different spoons and crank baits until I find one the fish like.
-Fish until they stop biting. Change it up. If the fish don't respond to different setups, repeat above steps in new location.
-If you get board with the above, finds some nice pike to play with [cool]
[signature]