Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green River Trip.
I'm Heading out to fish B and C section of the Green River in My Fishing Kayak. I'm Going to be out there during the week of July 9th - 14th. I'm A noice flyfishingman. Which flys should I bring.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
I will be there the same time. I will be fishing the A section only.
The Cicada hatch will be almost over by then, but Hoppers, Beatles and Ants will be good to have.
Also try numphs on the B section. Use a Woolly Bugger, San Juan Worm, or other attractor with a small dropper like a Copper John, Pheasant Tail, or WD-40.
Scuds are always a good bet to.
I don't know about the C section. I have never fished it.
Look at the Trout Creek Fly Shop's web site for more info.
Have a great trip, DKS.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply and Info. My plan's have changed I might be floating from the Dam to Browns Park.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Tis Hopper time of year on the green, Good old "12 Joe's Hopper" will knock them. especially in the light riffles. make sure to have some tiny tiny flies with you also for the picky fish. on the bottom fish black/copper Zebra midges and soft hackle sows.
[signature]
I just got back from 3 days of fishing/floating/camping from the dam to Taylor Flat. Its very good! Rising fish nearly all day. PMD's in the morning, yellow sallies all over the place (litttle yellow stoneflies), cicadas still on a section, hoppers around, ants everywhere, and sporadic caddis activity, especially in the evenings. There's also midges, but why bother when you can use flies you can see?

Flies: #16 caddis, #16, 18 pmd's, #16 rusty spinners, cicada pattern of your choice, some #10-12 hoppers, some #12-14 ants, and a yellow sally high-floating pattern of your choice. That can be a yellow caddis, stimulator, or something more fancy. The trout don't care. Fish the bigger bugs in the faster water and riffles. Fish the smaller pmd's and caddis in the slower eddies, scum lines, seams, and slower tail-outs.

I caught fish on every fly I threw at a rising fish for 3 days.
You'll love it!

Since you said you're a novice, and even if you were an expert, focus more on your presentation (Dead drift!) than the fly pattern. The fish will eat most any dead-drifted fly that goes over them right now. Use a long leader with plenty of tippet (I used 4x the whole time, even on the #18's). Stop your cast high co that the tippet piles up on the water and lets your fly float naturally.

I didn't do any nymphing, but that's a "can't miss" too. Again, presentation is the key, not the fly. Nymph the faster, deeper water and riffles where they pour into deeper pools. If you really want to hammer 'em, fish a big dry with a nymph dropper-that would almost not be fair![Wink]
[signature]
I agree with Tarponjim's philosophy completely. It's summer, throw the big stuff, cicadias, hoppers and stoneflies as much as possibly- they're a blast to fish. Use some mayflies as well. Save the size 20 and smaller crap for for when you're forced to use them at other times of the year. Only nymph if they're not hitting dries in the morning or since your on a longer trip sleep in and have an leisurely breakfast and skip the early mornings altogether.
[signature]
Thanks Jim,

I have a dilemma. I had planed on fishing the b section of the Green with my Kayak fishing Buddie but He has backed out. My wife doesn't like the Idea of me fishing the lower section by myself. Do you think that I would do all right fishing the A section.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
The A section has more trout per mile than any other section, but also has more fishermen per mile. You'd do fine on A, but I'd suggest launching very early, and just floating down a couple miles before you ever make a cast. Or, launch at noon or so, and float down to little hole by dark. Either get ahead of, or behind, the flotilla. Given the weather this time of year, I'd go early. (That's what I've done this year, and finished up at Little Hole by 2ish.) Be aware that you can't camp along the river anywhere on A. The fishing on A is good though. It just gets a little bumper-to-bumper at times.

As for floating B alone, it's no more risky than the A section, with the exception of Red Creek Rapid. In a Kayak, you can either run the left side, or just portage the rapid a short distance (100 yards), both of which would avoid any possible disaster. The flows are pretty low right now, especially in the mornings before releases are increased. The rest of B is easy. Fewer rapids than A, and actually a safer float in terms of rocks and rapids. You'll be wearing a life jacket in either case. MOre water to fish on B too, and good wade fishing areas. You could park your yak at the top of Grasshopper Island and fish around that area all day!
[signature]
I just got back from my trip to the Green and Flaming Gorge area. I fished the B section of the Green River on Tuesday. I did a solo trip in my kayak and did OK. I will only include my Fly Fishing results here, but I caught 16 total. I caught 5 on flys. All tiny rainbows. 2 on hoppers and 3 ants. I saw a total of 7 people on that section of the river. It was nice to get away from people. The day was nice and calm until the wind started up around 230. These fish were the first ones I have caught out of my kayak flyfishing.

Also thanks for all the help.

Tincanfsh
[signature]