Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
surf fishing fresh water
while surf fishing coastal regeons provide challanges of their own, Fresh water surf fishing has its own rewards.

many inland lakes have areas of extended shallows out distantcing the best of cast along with many shallow sand bars. this provides many oppertunity for surf fishing in fresh water.

to do this one must first wait for waters to worm, and secondly on needs the equipment to accomplish this fun event.

we dont get the rollers tides and big waves in fresh water that we get on the coastal regeons except in the great lakes of michigan. we do however get a lot of boat waves that provides a challange for surf fishing anglers.

one of the tools used for surf fishing in our great island state is called Ballyhoo rod. this rod has an extended handle that is used for driving in to the sand. it is about 3-4 feet in lenth. this keeps the reel above and clear of waters that would be carrying sand that will cause much damage or cleaning once submerged. this rod is a very expencive peice of equipment, starting at around 300 dollars and can only be found in hawiia.

living on one of those lakes with the extended shallow area where I can walk out a hundred yards befor the water gets chest deep I found an inexpencive alternitive to the ballyhoo rod. now I dont look as cool as gilligan but I found I can fish two rods with one rig. that is one rod in hand and one rod with a set line.

for this rig I use a 4 foot section of 2 inch pvc pipe with a 12-15 inch aluminum spike mounted to the bottom. I put a 90 degree angle on the spike so I can step on it to drive it in to the sand. with this I can go out to 3 foot deep water and cast out, this leaves me with about 2 feet of wave protection. if the waves get that bad I will have to either back up a bit, them big waves have a way of knocking around someone who is wading the surf.

I will take a pic of my rod holder and post it soon to eliminate any questions as to the construction. tho I think most every one here can do this on thier own...

one other thing, I dont surf fish bare foot. there is many objects lurking in the sand from years past, and should I drop a hook that wouldnt be fun either, so a pair of lake walking shoes would make good sence. dont forget sox, you get blistered walking in the lake for prolonged periods with shoes on and no sox. be sure to stay away from the cement slippers, [Wink] they will give you that sinking fealing that no one likes....
[signature]