Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field Repair??
I have been gone for 8 days of fishing.

While floating the Rio Grande River Near South Fork in a one man potoon float boat my reel gave it up. Something broke inside. There was not any drag at all. If you pulled just a little bit on the line the reel would spin freely so I would quickly have a birdsnest on the spool. Since it was the only rod and reel I had hung up the fishing for the day. I had already about broken my rod on a number of trees and bridge pylons.

I just floated the river watching the scenery. After a few minutes I just could not take it any more. Then I started thinking of ways to palm the disk constantly. I used a velcro strap for a storage bag by wrapping it around the base of reel seat so that it rubbed against the reel rim. That did fine for the rest of the day.
[signature]
...as they say...necessity is the mother of invention.. [laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
Way to save it....what a great idea![cool]
[signature]
I love it when people can actually think and fish at the same time. My hat is off to you bro. Good job.[cool]
[signature]
I can think and fish but I can not row, fin, steer and fish very well at the same time.

Found that out on the lower part of the Gunnison River and re-inforced it on the Rio Grande this last week.

It was comical watching me. Ya shudda ben there. I think I scrapped my fly rod tip on three bridge pylons at three different bridges. Bending the rod substantially in the process.

Then there were the numerous trees I got my fly rod mixed up in. Followed by my fly line and flies.

There also was the jetty I had to try to avoid while I had a fish still hooked in the net with fly line wrapped around both flippers, the pontoons and the oar handles and twisted around the fly rod,reel and itself.

This while your buddy is trying to help you out by telling you to looked out for the 10 foot drop ( nonexistant ) at the end of the jetty.

Finally there was the tree overhanging the river at the take out that I ran into. My buddies had to pull me and my pontoon boat out of it.

It was very comical as long as you were not me at that moment in time.
[signature]
I guess that had to be one of those Kodak moments that you are just glad to have survived the whole ordeal.

We are all glad that you got through it with only minimal damage to you and your equipment.[cool]

You should enter this into the fishing stories board. I'm sure a lot more people would get some extra oooohs and aaaahs out of it too.[Smile]
[signature]
[reply]
[laugh]

Sounds like you gave your nerve a good work-out, Scruffy!

btw - great idea with the velcro! What reel was this that broke? did you find the faulty part? [/reply]
I guess I could've signed in first [crazy]
[signature]
It for sure had an affect on mental attitude for a short periods of time. Jim had lost his flies earlier and had lost sight of us while putting new flies on. But he could here me spouting expenatives a quarter of a mile away, he said, so he new we were down river from him but not too far away.
[signature]