Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Fishing derby help
Hello everybody,

I am organizing a fishing derby for my Wife's girl scout troop for early October in Kernersville, NC. We are expecting 20-30 kids (Scouts and Siblings).

I have canvased several tackle suppliers for prize donations and I plan to ask local grocery stores for donatins for lunch for the girls closer to the day of the event.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tips to help make the event a success?

there should be plenty of adults around for safety sake and it will be a catch and release event. We are also planning wildlife educatin and fishing skills workshops for the children as well.

da_penguin@triad.rr.com
[signature]
you are only limmited by time, there is so much that you can do, below is just a few ideas. just remember that every thing the do has to be a learning experience. even if the learning experience is only learning how to follow directions....

let me know if you need other ideas. I have a score of them.... I have been doing it now for 20+ years. [ul] [li]classes can consist of casting contest. stake a paper plate to the ground write Big Bass on it and give the girls some time to pratice then give them three cast at the plate and take the best score. to score use a tape measure and scale the distance. the person with the shortest distince wins. [/li] [li]do a fish cleaning and prep. show the girls how to fillett a fish, "you dont have to put a knife in their hands" then show them how to make breading of sorts and how to fry the fish.[/li] [li]teach them that fish is food not friends. and when fish roll over to play dead, they are not playing. this is a good start for an envionment class. Teach them if they want to be friends with the fish they can do so by keeping the environment clean.[/li] [li]local fish identification class is fun. use two buliten boards, one with fish pic's no names and one with fish pic's with names.[/li] [li]fish parts Id is fun, a peice of paper with a fish and arrows pointing at fish parts and a chart posted some where in camp the same fish with the parts labled.[/li] [li]"dont forget the smoors... if you dont want them near the fire or there are fire restrictions at the time of your camp, go this rout, marchmellow cream, double fudge icing and gram crackers... MMMM[/li] [li]frog catching is fun so when you are running the fishing durby include the biggest frog in to your event, you will have the girls hopping with excitment. and yes girls love to chase frogs... But be sure to tell them that kissing frogs will only get them slimy lips, there aint no princes under them flippers.....[/li] [li]bubble gum blowing contest are always fun.[/li] [li]take pictures, lots of pictures. you cant get enuff pictures.[/li] [li]if weather permits, watter balloon toss, playing catch with watter baloons is a riot. the team with the last baloon wins. start them off face to face after each toss every one has to take one step backwards. you will have a winner after a short while...[/li] [li]each event can have points twards an end goal.[/li] [li]Plant identification is a good way to help keep kids safe, at that time poisen ivy/oak and sumac is still out and ready to make you itch. a prize for the person who finds the closest pach to camp with out getting in to it wins.[/li][/ul]
[signature]
Let us know near the time of the event and I'm sure we mods can come up with some stickers for the girls. Great idea,good luck.
[signature]
Guest (Doug) I'll be happy to send along a bunch as long as you join us as a member. PM me three weeks out for a reminder.
[signature]
I did sign up as a member. I just forgot to log in before I posted.

I will let you know closer to the date.

Thanks Again
[signature]