Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did a search on "Houston Lake Georgia" and one of the links brought me here. So, I joined up. Right now I mainly fish the Ocmulgee and Flint Rivers in a kayak for Shoal bass, Largemouth and Spots. I love this type of fishing... I have lived in Warner Robins a couple of years and would like to find a few places to fish that are closer to "home". I was thinking Houston Lake cause its pretty close to where I live. Thing is... I don't know anything about that lake and really don't even know if its worth my time to fish it. Looking for some tips and fellow mid GA anglers to share info and trips with. Thanks. [Wink]

Ron (Fishing Fanatic)
[signature]
Welcome to the forum! I live in Milledgeville and can't help you much with your area, but I'm sure mattscru will pipe in shortly and fill you in, I believe he lives in Warner Robins.
[signature]
Im not a big fan of houston lake. Its been drained a few times over the last few years, theres still alot of fish but I just dont think it up to par. Do you have access to base? If not I can take you to some sweet spots out there. The fish in my avator was caught late spring during post spawn on base. The small spillway of lake joy's good for bank fishing. The back of lake joy near the creek can be excellent by boat. The river off 96 harbours some monsters aswell. I like to fish sinclair a good bit with jimflash, we always get into a mess of something. If you want Im wanting to get a group of us to meet up at sinclair one weekend to fish and bbq. Thanks for joing the site, the georgia boards are alittle slow but Im trying to work on it. Ive been away from the computer for a few days so sorry about the late response. Feel free to pm or e-mail me at anytime if you have any questions on differant fishing holes. And if you ever want to get out and do some fishing just tell me.

Matt
[signature]
I don't have access to the base but would be interested in going out there to give it a try. I mostly river fish out of a kayak.... yeah I know... it sounds a little crazy but I'll tell ya this... I know many a great fishermen that have sold their bass boats after trying kayak fishing. If you've never done it you owe it to yourself as an outdoorsman and nature lover to try it. No speed boats, no skiers, no jet skis... mostly just you and the river. Very peaceful. I am a member of georgiariverfishing.com. Go to the forum on that website and just browse around for a bit. You might find it interesting.
I live very close to Houston Lake and would really like to find some fish there and someone local to fish with. It would be great for a quick trip. Matt... what access does the base have? Pond, creek, lake???
[signature]
I live in the neighborhood behind windixie at houston lake rd and 96 so Im right by you. The base has 3 small lakes and a nice creek that would be perfect for a kayak, besides the gators. Ive only seen one back there though and it was only about 5 foot....... Ive caught bass out of the creek up to 5lbs and had one 8+ break me off early last summer. Another good spot to put in a kayak would be the spillway of lake joy, it actually flows into houston lake and is loaded with jackfish (chain pickeral). Thats really all there is in our immediate area besides the west tract of oaky woods which I think Sonny baught because the roads roped off now. But that used to be an excellent crappie spot and I saw the biggest bass of my life swimming around out there, it had to of gone 15lbs. Like I said if you ever wanna go out and rip some lip just tell me.

Matt
[signature]
Hey Matt...
You are very close to me. I live about a mile from the new Publix on 96 just off Sandifur Rd. Hey... I'd love to fish that creek on base sometime as well as the lakes. What is your favorite technique when Bass fishing? I like topwater (buzzbait) the best but have recently become better with the plastic worm. Have you been over on the Flint River or Ocmulgee for Shoal Bass? If not... you are missing out on a treat. Do you have a boat, canoe...?
[signature]
I havent got to fish the rivers yet and I sold my canoe before I moved here, dumb move. But I fish with everything, I really like to fish soft plastic jerkbaits and anything texas rigged. But I throw alot of spinnerbaits too, alot more this time of year they seem to catch more fish for me at sinclair. But in the spring its almost nothing but flukes or bass assassins. We can always bankfish the creek as long as you dont mind a few snakes here and there. Ive only seen 3 water moccosins but its full of redbelly and banded watersnakes. And the one gator I saw 3 weeks ago........
[signature]