Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armchair seating
[cool][#0000ff]I have maintained a continous battle with the inflated seats on my tubes...first the Super Fat Cat and now the H3. I suspect that the problem is as much my own lust for experimentation as any real problem with the seats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the seat ideas I played with on the SFC was cutting down a PVC patio chair and setting it in place on the tube seat. It worked fine, and I enjoyed having the arm rest, but it was just a bit snug in the SFC. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My new H3 has appreciably wider seating. And, I have been having to work to get the seats adjusted right. So, I figured I would dig out my old armchair seat and give it a go on the H3. I haven't had it on the water yet, but it looks like it fits great. The back is high enough and nicely contoured. The seat bottom extends just beyond the (too short) inflated seat of the H3 and rolls over nicely for comfort. The bottom is also better contoured to the behind. When the H3 seats are fully inflated, they become very uncomfortable after a while.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be taking the new seat afloat next week, but thought I would go ahead and post the preliminary pics for anyone who might want to try this seat...and who might have an old patio chair laying around to use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First of all, you can use almost any kind of saw to cut the legs off the chair. A hack saw, reciprocating saw or even a plain old hand saw will get the job done. I used this high speed cutting disk in my drill. It works well but i potentially dangerous if you slip. The abrasive blade cuts through flesh pretty good too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I originally just cut off the legs and plopped the chair on the SFC to test it out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since the H3 sits a bit higher, and since I want to avoid damaging the seat cover with extended use, I cut and sanded down the extra PVC on the bottom to get a lighter seat and a smoother bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Installing the seat is easy. Just set it in place and use a bungee cord around the bottom to keep it securely up against the back rest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]From the side it looks like the seat was custom designed for the H3. Well, it was...for me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should be seeing this seat in the pics for most of my future reports.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Pat,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I suspect that if that custom seat worked well on your old Fat Cat, it will work well on your H3.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Let's hope that this is the answer to your "bottom/back problem".[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The fit looks good, and it appears that you will be sitting a little higher on the H3.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Hope it works well.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the input. I am guestimating that at most I will be about an inch higher, while sitting in my easy chair. I have taken a lot of depth off the bottom of the chair so that it is barely more than the width of the plastic. And, I will be leaving the bottom cushion a bit less full to provide a contour fit for the seat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After the first trip, my lower back hurt. But, I largely have the adjustments set now so that is not a problem. But, as I said, my backside becomes achey breaky after an extended set on the water. I am used to doing several hours of fishing before coming back in and I am ready to return a lot sooner with the hard bottom H3 ride. As I recall, I used the patio chair seat on the SFC a couple of times and did not even have to move around to keep comfortable. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There may be hope. News at 11.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wait until you see my next "McGuyver" post...rigging a tube truck from a golf bag carrier. That is a sweet innovation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff]...rigging a tube truck from a golf bag carrier. That is a sweet innovation.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

no ive got to see that...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here's a teaser.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Complete step by step writeup with pics tomorrow.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I hope that they never invent and produce the perfect tube. you might loose interest in the whole game.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Sometimes I think that you enjoy your "tinker" talents more than the fishing. Ha Ha[/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff] You "tink" so?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]No, what I actually "tink" is that we have to get the Babe home to redirect your efforts.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm going to reserve my comments on your cart until you publish the finished product, but it looks like you have a winner.[/size]
[signature]
Tube Dude....DUDE! you have got some great imagination! I really like the golf cart thing. The seat looks comfortable as heck, Wondering about the arms while flie fishing. Not so much the casting but the stripping.
We went to Mirror for the 4th and I have a small 16" X 20" piece of carpet (sample stuff) that we use to stand on while putting on our waders. Well, we forgot to through it back in the truck before Mojo parked, so I sat on it all day. 9 hours to be exact and it was pretty nice.
Don't know what your plans are but we are heading to the Strawberry Church tomorrow morning, for some BIG praying.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Good luck at "church" tomorrow.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]we all expect many pictures and a lengthy report.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Speaking of arm rests, the feature that I like best on my toon (next to the bullet proof bladders) are the arm rests. I haven't experienced any problem stripping line with them in place, and find that they affort me the comfort of a regular chair.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have an idea that after the final installation of the golf cart on TD's tube, that there will be a run on carts at Unita Golf.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I am sitting in a computer chair with arm rest and playing like I am stripping and I see what you mean. I guess it depends on how high and close they are. Actually......this chair......feeeeellls....really .....NICE![laugh]
[signature]
[reply]
I am sitting in a computer chair with arm rest and playing like I am stripping and I see what you mean. I guess it depends on how high and close they are. Actually......this chair......feeeeellls....really .....NICE![laugh] [/reply]

To much information....[Wink]
[signature]
Another greta idea[cool]
[signature]
hey old man, why stop at a cheap Costco sale item. I want to see ya in this on the water. You need to set your sights higher. Like this.
[inline "TD's chair.jpg"]

Just take a hand saw and wack off the legs. (It'll get you lower in the water)[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Does it come in white PVC? If not, then I am next going for a plush red recliner...like this. No sawing necessary. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://zjausen.en.alibaba.com/product/50192704/51080213/Recliners/Recliner__Terence_.html"][Image: Recliner__Terence_.jpg][/url]
[signature]
The one Mojo posted would be nice when going after the TIGERS (Muskies or Trout).
But the PLUSH one would blend right in with the H3[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, I have started working on a fully inflatable plush red recliner...like in the picture. Change the padding to inflatable cells and strap on the two H3 air chambers on each side. Who says we have to settle for uncomfortable seats on our tubes. Let's turn it around and put floatation on comfortable seats. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now I'm breathing hard. Oooh, oooh, oooh.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LMAO![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
So ya think the battle has ended with the seat huh? It looks pretty cool .......... floating it will be the acid test ole boy.

I really like the golf cart travel carrier. Now how far is it from the launch ramp to the water LOL.

Man Dude you got to much timeon your hands. Time to go out fishing bud. Is your babe home yet? Maybe she can get ya on the water and out of the garage. Nice work though I home it works out to be as confortable as it looks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No doubt about it. I have had W-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y too much time off the water and in the "tubeatorium" (garage). The combination of the heat, some unfinished projects and TubeBabe being gone has kept me home a lot. I have got a lot done the past two weeks, but once my fishin' buddy (TB) gets home Wednesday night, there will be more fishin' goin' on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll be testing the new seat setup Tuesday, at Starvation, with Lloyd E. Wanna come watch...and fish? I will probably also have it on Thursday, at the Rock Cliffs perchathon. If it works as well as I anticipate, it will be a permanent accessory on Rojo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure when I will be going someplace to test out the golf/tube cart. Maybe by the first of next week on Willard. I really want to be able to launch at the NE corner again. Did a lot of good fishing there last year, when we could drive up to the water and launch. This year there is a hundred yards of dried mud flat between parking and launching. That's what the cart is for.[/#0000ff]
[signature]