Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little HELP please
I just went fishin this morn at Salmon Falls Creek Res and got into some Kokanee (Blue Backs) on my 6/7 rod sinking line and black or brown wooly worms. I landed one but all the rest (7) I would get the up to the toon and they would shake the hook out[Sad] before I could get a net to them. What am I doing wrong[mad] Do I need to put one of those "rubber snubs" on like when you troll?

Thanks for any advice.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Mike, I don't know that there is any real secret to keeping connected to a Koke.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You already realize that they have a soft mouth, and will shake a hook in a heart beat.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I would suggest that maybe a very soft action rod would be the answer, but that is only a guess. I don't think that including a "rubber snubber" in your set up is the answer.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you have a very soft action rod, you may want to try that. There is no give in a fly line/leader set up, so the "give" must be either in the rod or the angler. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Even though the real fun is in the hook up, I can see where with 1 of 7, you were left scratching you head.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
It happens, but Saberfish has pretty much covered options.
[signature]
Sometimes it is tough to get a good hookset on them too. If by chance you are getting the hookset in the upper jaw, I would tend to think that the hook is not getting imbedded enough.

Perhaps a sharper hook with the 3 or 4wt rod.[angelic]
[signature]
Thanks, I will try my 4/5wt and sharpen my hooks[cool]
[signature]
I tie many of my flies on the Owner hooks. My smaller flies are on the Owner Mosquito hooks. They are ultra sharp right out of the package and take a nice edge again after you run a diamond hook hone.[cool]
[signature]
you guys know I'm no FF guru but the experience I can pull from trolling for Trout and Salmon on L.Michigan can carry over in theory I believe. 8'6"-10' ML-M rods with Mono is my preferance up to 30+lb fins.. makes a good case for the soft action rod that Saber mentioned.

One thing that might be out of "the norm" is using a wide® gap hook.. now I've never tried this myself FF'ing so I'll let you folks chew on that... just a thought I had from changing hundreds of treble hooks out to larger gaped singles on most of my spoons.

[crazy]
[signature]
I'm not too fond of trebles either. You are right on the wider gap hooks though.

Although the wide gap hooks are not as practical for freshwater flyfishing, they are the bomb for the saltwater flies. Very few species of saltwater fish are line or hook shy.
[signature]
It was a thought .. yea, situation sensative I can understand entirely with the flies.
[signature]
I went out this morn and couldn't find or maybe I should say get a koke to bite. I did get 3 nice bows, felt great on the 5wt. When they ran they ran straight down it seemed.

I was using a sink tip line so I had made a another section of heavy sinking line and loop conected it to the sink tip end. I was marking fish at 25' and i believe these might have been kokes as the bows seem to be nearer the surface when they took my fly

I did have a old fishing fellow tell me of a way to make a rubber snubber using a rubber band and putting a loop on each end with a nail knot. When I tried it this morn and had a hit there was too much give and I couldn't set the hook so the rubber band would need to be tougher.

I tried some more colorful flies to try an imitate some of the lures the trollers use and even put some anise scent on a fly but no kokes today.

Do you think that the fish i was marking at 25' were the koke's? I realise there probably no way to really tell without getting one to take a fly.

Thanks
[signature]
I know that Kokanee Salmon do swim deep but tend to come closer to the surface during the day and go deeper at night.

That is one of the reasons that mysis shrimp did not work well for supporting kokanee in Colorado. The shrimp remain deep during the day and rise to surface at night.

The Kokanee and the mysis are both introduced species in colorado. One being introduces to support the other. There are only a few lakes/reservoirsin Colorado have mysis shrimp in them.

dB
[signature]
Concerning the the use of a "rubber snubber" Rio make a stretchy line called Shock Gum, that you add into your leader with jam knots, it is advertised to help save tippets with its give. I was told you set the hook by stripping the line and not by lifting the rod. Lost River Outfitters had it in 2 sizes measured by the lb. Haven't had time to try it but it looks interesting.
[signature]
Very interesting....let us know! My shock absorber is my Glass rod or my Bamboo. Actually I have a few Graphite rods that are full flex.
You can't lift the fish out of the water, but it does save on tippet.
That is how I can land 20+ fish with a 4wt. Next theory to that however is do you play the fish too long.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I have seen some people play their catch to exhaustion. [Sad]Unfortunately the trout's survival is rather poor under these conditions. I don't care if they slip the hook before I can net them. The less physical contact with these creatures the better their chance for survival.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Amen to that. I do take a 2wt to a 4wt to the Middle Provo and Uinta's but occassionally you find the big guns, so it is unintentional and like you said, okay with me if they throw the hook. But I do know people that take light equipment all for the play.
[signature]