Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALASKA BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
IN ABOUT 4 DAYS I AM ALASKA BOUND [Wink] CAN'T WAIT TO FISH 24/7. HAVEN'T DONE MUCH FISHIN' HERE DO THO WORK AND THE EXTREME HEAT. THE AIR CONDITIONING BUSINESS CAN DO THAT TO YA. I'LL BRING SOME PICS AND LOTS OF FISHING TELLS TO TELL. SEE YOU ALL SOON!
[signature]
Good luck!!! I hope your arm is sore by the end of your trip after reeling in dozens and dozens of trophy fish!!!
[signature]
Good luck. I was up there over fathers day and was able to fish for Halibut one day. Had a blast and it was just the right temp... NOT HOT ...
[signature]
The wife and I are setting up our first trip for next summer for a couple weeks. Renting a motor home in Anchorage and booking several different trips out of Deep Creek along with traveling and seeing the country. Have a great trip and keep us posted.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun.

This time tomorrow I will be trying to find my way around anchorage.... For you ocean guys,,, do you get sea sick? I've never been on th ocean but i've been on other big lakes in small boats and never had a problem.

Any pointers on where to fish for salmon would be great as well.
[signature]
Cook inlet, and the surrounding area really doesn't have the big swells like the Pacific off of California. But, what it does have is big tide shifts. Your guide won't launch his boat until the tide comes in, and he'll be racing back to the beach in order to load the boat before the tide goes out. It's kind of like fishing on the biggest river you've ever seen! 16oz sinkers that can't make it to the bottom....
[signature]
Anchorage is not so bad to drive around just watch out for all the damn one ways. We were using 3lb sinkers when we were out in Resurrection bay and only fishing between 65 and 175 ft of water. I did not have a problem with the sea sickness but there were 2 on the boat that did. Kind of like the old scout motto be prepared. If you are unsure take either some Dramamine. If you are into home remedies candied ginger works well or else some Ginger ale.
[signature]
How cost effective is a trip to Alaska? The wife and i need a vacation in the near future. Any recommendations from you who have been there before?
[signature]
I usually fish Alaska (anchorage area) 3x a summer....I set up business to have plenty of meetings/trips there in the summer months and try to avoid the winters if possible.
If you are looking to do some self-guiding or even some guided fishing in the Anchorage area (within 3hrs) feel free to PM me and I will get you some info on the good "cheap" spots.
Also the one thing I do want to say (as I have to vent here) is don't go to "Cabela's" or any sports store and ask what to use for tackle/gear as they go SOOOO overkill and usually you look like a complete tourist and have much less fun.
Also if anyone is up for a trip in searly eptember or maybe mid-late august for a couple days let me know as I would love to go chase silvers for a long weekend. It would just be airfare, food (Anchorage has AMAZING food) and a reasonable hotel (would split it with ya).
[signature]
[reply]
How cost effective is a trip to Alaska? The wife and i need a vacation in the near future. Any recommendations from you who have been there before?[/reply]

If you are looking for "cost effective" then go to British Columbia. It's far cheaper, closer, and has every bit the quality fishing that Alaska has to offer. You can find fantastic areas without the crowds that the Kenai Peninsula draws. You can do B.C. for half (or less) the cost of typical Alaska trips.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check into it.
[signature]
When I was up there my room was 200.00 a night in Anchorage. It was a Farifield inn. So shop around.
[signature]
I did BC last week...it is less expensive but it is a different style of fishing for the most part (mainly in southern BC). I would say go to northern, coastal BC if you decide on BC. If you shop the outdoors shows you can get the Kenai pretty cheap about 150/day range with room/board but again you get what you pay for as far as quality of accomodations.
The other thing to do when doing a "budget trip" is to consider daily dropoffs....where a boat runs you to where you wanna fish, drops you off and then picks you up later that day - usually runs about 60.00 so it can save you over the 250.00/day for a guided trip.
This allows you to get some more secluded fishing places for a very reasonable price. Hit me with a PM if you would like some more info.
[signature]