Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had to sooner or later...
Here is a test to see if I can actually post pictures. I'll appologize up front since most of the pics I have are of me. Actually, I don't have a digital camera. some of what I may post is scanned, some from diskette, and some from CD.

Well, here goes

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber1Pic1Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0012134.jpg][/url]
Green River Dec. 02

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber1Pic6Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0079680.jpg][/url]
Green River Summer 2000

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber1Pic4Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0054433.jpg][/url]
Green River Pike Feb. 2000
14lb. 10oz. 36 inches

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber1Pic3Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage004486.jpg][/url]
Starvation June 2000
20" Walleye

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber1Pic9Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0113598.jpg][/url]
Green River Feb 2000
Channel Cat 9lb. 28"

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/CURT6897/PageAlbumCurtisfishPageNumber1Pic8Fullview.htm"][Image: CURT6897CustomImage0101734.jpg][/url]
Flaming Gorge Lake Trout (Mackinaw)
5lbs.

Let's see how well that works. now you all know what I look like (this explains the appologies up front) and have an idea of what I catch. I'll spare you pictures of the rest of my boat.......for now.
[signature]
I DONT KNOW, I THINK YOU HAVE TOO MANY HATS !

sm
[signature]
LMAO @ SM! [laugh]

Great looking fish, I take it you like the Green?
[signature]
What's not to like on the Green? The upper has the scenery, the Browns, and the occasional Rainbow just for fun. The lower had big Cats, Big Pike, and a scattering of Walleye and Smallmouth. They killed off most of the Pike, Walleye, Channel Cats, and Smallmouth in the lower (above Vernal and south almost to Lake Powell) river during the last two years. The native chubs and suckers were falling victim too often on top of poor reproduction.

Yes Southernman, I do have a lot of hats.[Tongue] I don't really know why, but I have somewhere around 25-30. Oddly enough, I wear most of them every year. Well, what can you expect from a computer geek. You know most of us are at least a little cracked just to do what we do for a living. If it weren't for fishing, I think I'd have gone off the nerd end. Or is it already too late?[Wink]
Big Fish for everyone!!!
[signature]
How are the odds of catching a northern in the green curtis? That is a species I have wanted to hook into for awhile now but just really have never fished anywhere that has a population of them. Thanks for any info.
[signature]
Hey Curtisfish- I think I recognize you! Do you live in the reservation between Roosevelt and Duchense? If so I thought so, we have met once at Starvation last late summer.

That walleye you caught at Starvation 2000, I was looking in the background and seeing some reeds sticking up out of the water. Where at Starvation was this?
[signature]
That's me! That particular eye came off of the sand bar between Juniper Point and Salatarus Wash, Northeast of the boat ramp. June 4th. About 12' deep in the reeds with a red/white 1/8oz. lead head tipped with a worm. I can't find my log, but if I remember, the water was upper 40's and gin clear. My biggest fish came out last April near the inlet at Knight Hollow. I'll find the pics and get one up. It was only 4lb., but it's still the biggest eye I've caught. I'll be there Saturday or Sunday to see if the early bite is on. See you on the water.
[signature]
The odds of catching a Pike have been dramatically reduced. The DWR started a campaign two years ago to try and rid the river of Northerns, Smallmouth, Walleye, and Channel Cats. The have been floating the river from where it re-enters Utah from Colorado, down almost to Lake Powell. They were electrofishing mainly so they could study and release the endagered chubs and suckers and keep all of the predators. They did do some netting also. I haven't even bothered this year. If I hear of enough being caught to make the trip worth while, I'll drop you a line and post the info. See you on the water.
[signature]
Nice pike. The ones we have caught down there have all been skinny. That' also a great cat for the lower Green.
[signature]
That's the biggest Pike I'm aware of coming out of the area. I talked with the DWR guys that did the electroshocking and they said the biggest they were seeing were around 12lbs. If anyone does want to see this fish, it is hanging in the UTE Tribe Wildlife Services building in Fort Duchesne. They had it mounted and it lookes great with a big Pelican Blue Gill in front of it's open mouth. I'll have to go take a pic and post it.

The Pike and the cat came out a couple of miles below the Jensen/Green crossing. The river heads away from the road for about 1-1 1/2 miles and right when it comes back, there is a house, and just below that, a large, shallow pool at the bend in the river. Half the year it's a sand island. They came out 10 minutes apart at dusk. Some of the best fishing I've seen out there was right after ice out. See you on the water.
[signature]
I was out fishing in my float tube last fall on Steinaker Reservoir and heard some shore fishermen talking about catching a lot of pike up by Island park and Rainbow park on the lower green. They said that they were knocking them died with dead minnows and a float during the spawn. When is the pike spawn. Do you guys think it would be worth time time to check it out.[Smile]
Tincanfsh
[signature]
That's where I started fishing for the Pike was at Island Park. The bigget I caught up there was 9lbs. although I know of a 12.5lb. coming out of there. This is part of the river that was shocked and all of the Pike, Walleye, Smallmouth, and Channel Cats were removed to protect the endangered chubs and suckers. I normally start fishing as soon as the ice comes off the river and continue until the river gets muddy. Last year was so poor for fishing, I didn't even bother this year. They shocked two years in a row and probably will again this year.
[signature]
A couple years ago my friend got a 14 pound northern in the middle of the Split Mountain daily run. He was catfishing with a #2 baitholder hook with a red shiner head and no weight on 6 pound test. Lucky dog. I had to wade in and flip it on the bank for him because he couldn't pull it in. No steel leader. He has it mounted on his wall.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Your friend has the only other pike I know of caught out here in the 14lb. range. I was starting to think mine was a fluke or a mutant. I used whole chubs (5ish inch) on steel leaders I made with a 1/0 salmon in front of a 2/0 treble. When Smiths would run out of chubs I would use red shiners. I noticed I caught more cats, and about the same number of pike using them.
[signature]
My buddys wasn't fat like yours. It was a very long, kind of snakey pike. Nice fish, but not the toad yours was.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]