Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackpot on Flaming Gorge ... 7-11-07
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]For almost two years now, RILEYFISH (Mark), Bait_Caster, and myself have been making plans for a guided fishing trip on Flaming Gorge with Captain Jim Williams of [url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/"]Creative Fishing Adventures[/url]. After reading many posts of other guys who have already fished with Jim (several times for some of you), our excitement meters have been pretty much pegged in anticipation.

We drove up Wednesday morning and fished the Gorge for kokanee. Mark was showing me and BC the in’s and out’s of down riggers, kokanuts, and sling blades. We only fished for a couple of hours and didn’t catch any kokes but we did bring in a few nice rainbows.

Wednesday night, we stayed in a little cabin at the KOA campground there in Manilla. Not a bad place to hang your hat and get rested up for the next day’s events. After we got settled in, we went to dinner and then Mark drove us around to a few places in the area. As a boy, Mark spent many a day at Flaming gorge. Here is a picture from the Sheep Creek Bay overlook that he took us to:

[inline Sheep-Creek-bay-overlook-40.jpg]

Thursday morning, we met Capt. Jim at the Lucerne Bay Marina at 6:30. While there at the marina, we caught a glimpse of Don-In-Denver who was just heading out for a day of fishing too. While at the marina, we got our first lessons in rod grip, pole position, jig presentation, and what we should and should not do in general.

After a couple hours into the fishing, Mark hooked into his first fish of the day. Jim gave him a little coaching for the retrieve and helped show him how to hold the mack for a photo:

[inline Jim-coaching-17-400.jpg]

[inline Ready-for-photo-17-400.jpg]

The first nice mack weighed in at 17 lbs:

[inline Riley-w-17-400.jpg]

As we moved from hump to hump looking for “victims”, I took a snapshot of Jim’s sonar screen. Here are a few macks stacked up over a hump:

[inline Graph-400.jpg]

Another hour into to the fishing and Mark had a second mack on. This time his pole was doing the BIG bend-o and Jim was giving him a little coaching on bringing it in too:

[inline Pole-bend-on-38-400.jpg]

[inline Jim-coaching-38-400.jpg]

Needless to say, Mark was having a good day:

[inline 38-pole-bend-w-Smile-400.jpg]

When that monster got a little closer to the boat, even Capt. Jim got pretty excited:

[inline Jim-excited-too-400.jpg]

Once that mack was in the net, Mark had the opportunity to catch his breath and rest his arms:

[inline 38-thumbs-up-400.jpg]

It weighed in at a whopping 38 lbs!!!!!

[inline Weighing-the-38-400.jpg]

That was one hog of a fish:

[inline Hog-in-the-boat-400.jpg]

[inline Riley-holding-38-400.jpg]

And he had a pretty big head too! (So did the fish!):

[inline Big-head-400.jpg]

Wow, what a memorable event. It’s one I won’t soon forget.

BC and I had a few tick hits but were not able to stick the steel to them so we come home with no fish but a BUNCH of new things we have learned about mack fishing. Man, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on how to catch macks. Boy was I mistaken. The stuff Jim taught us was a whole new ball game. And I have a lot of new things to try at Bear Lake.

After all the mistakes I made out on Jim’s boat, I was surprised to hear him invite us to keep our same spot next year .... oh yea baby!

I would just like to say a thing or two about Captain Jim Williams; I had heard that he can be a bit of a hard driving, boot camp, kind of guy when giving lessons out there on the Gorge. That may be true but it is all because of his supper strong desire to get you to successfully hook up on the fish he works so hard to get and keep you over. Every time he set me straight on some technique that I wasn’t properly following (and there were many of those times) I realized that if I didn’t clean up my act, the negative impact would affect the success of the other two fishermen. It was truly a team effort. There are so many details that have to be kept in mind and followed to be successful at catching Gorge macks jigging that if he didn’t push you, you probably aren’t going to be nearly as successful. Jim truly has a passion for teaching his clients how to be successful.

I dare bet that BC, RileyFish, and myself have just scratched the surface when it comes to knowing how to mack fish on the Gorge. We hope to dig a little deeper again this time next year.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]That trip to the Gorge with RileyFish and Bait_Caster FAR exceded my biggest dreams. They are great fishermen and great guys to hang out with.

Thanks much Captain Williams. Our trip was EXTREEMLY FANTASTIC.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Very nice. How was the weather and W ? Real nice fish.
[signature]
MTUNA,

For Wyoming and the Gorge it was pretty good. Nice mornings ever so slight breeze, Clouds and wind come in around two to three each day but did not give us any problems. Wind was really not a hindurance. What a trip.
[signature]
good job on you guys, thats a nice 38 for sure.
this is what we were saying 3 years ago, Captain Jim, is all that when it comes to those gorge macks. later chuck
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Good job guys, too bad you didn't get into some kokes also.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Take care[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Great trip! I can't wait until the day I get to land one of those big macks.
[signature]
We did not get to spend a lot of time after the kokes, We hit some nice bows and got old coot and Baitcaster onto some nice flaming Gorge fish. Its hard to do it all in one trip. Besides gotta have a good reason to go over again to go after the kokes.
[signature]
Coot,

What a blast. I don't know what else to say. I learned so much but yet have so much more to learn. IT was just my turn to catch a fish. Yourself and Terry will get yours soon.

Jim is know dought the King! This man knows his S$%T! And his Fish. He can put things into perspective and it makes darn good sense. Yes its alot of work. But nothing in life is easy. IF you cant make the sacrifice and give it all, Dont go. I will be back again. My day is already booked again for next year. I hope that I can sit back and experience you and Terry next year get into one of the big boys.

The best part of the whole day was to watch that fish swim back to the depths so that someone else can get the same joy and experience that I did another day. God that was great.

Thanks Coot and Baitcaster for a great few days with two great men. Looking forward to next year.

Jim, i know that you will read this also, Thanks. your one heck of a guy. Remember the word of the day?

Thanks guys.

RILEY
[signature]
Thanks for the report coot. Now you have really got me exceited. I am booked with Jim this monday and tuesday (16 & 17). I will post are results !
[signature]
Thanks to all 3 of you (Mark, Ralph, and Terry). You guys know how to have a good time, even with the fishing tough much of the day. We definitely made the best of it. You're all welcome on my boat anytime.
[signature]
[Wink]Leave it up to old Rileyfish to land the toad. Nice job Mark.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What a great fish! That sure don't look like Big Blue Bend Cliffs in the background though! LOL![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
What a great report!
BaySport
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]BaySport,

I know you get up this way occationally to fish Utah with BLM. Have you ever fished the Gorge?[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
I heard about this fish from 394bull this morning during a phone conversation so I came to BFT looking for pic's.

Nice fish RileyFish!!!
[signature]
Great report, Ralph! Nice fish Mark! That is a Genuine Hawg.
[signature]
What a great fish! I'll bet that was a great time.
[signature]
Thanks Don,

I just finished reading your post on the gorge. Sorry to hear that you had such a rough time on the hook set. I know exactley what ya mean. I think I will just pay Jim to go out each year and use all his stuff and have his Play by Play action. I will probably save money in the long run and have a lot better chance at catching fish. I was just lucky on my first trip with him. I know that I am hooked on them though. Gonna spend some time on Bear lake this fall. Wish we could have talked with ya at the ramp a little more the other day. Good luck on your next trip of feeding that addiction.
[signature]