Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorilla Floatilla????
[cool][#0000ff]We have talked about putting together a "Gorilla Floatilla"...a nighttime fishing session on Utah Lake, targeting BIG kittyfish. I usually like to fish the night of the full moon. There is something mystical and magical about being out on the lake, watching the full moon rise over the eastern horizon just as it is getting dark. Then, as the bright moon rises higher in the sky, it is sometimes almost light enough to fish totally without lights...even being able to tie hooks or lures without drawing in the bugs with a headlamp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During the warmer days of summer, fishing for big cats is usually best after dark. The spawn is long over and the bigguns are hungry and active. This is the time of year when you probably have the best shot at hanging a cat in excess of 10 pounds...and possibly a state record (over 32 pounds).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The full moon in July is on Monday, July 30. For many BFTers that might not work well. Probably the best choice of dates would be Friday night, July 27th. The almost full moon will already be about a third of the way up in the sky at sundown, providing decent nighttime illumination. Every day after the full moon delays the rising of the moon by about an hour.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably the best spot to have one would be Lincoln Beach. We have had a couple of floatillas there and it works well. There are no fees and there are nice restrooms, etc. The only BIG consideration will be the weather. If there are afternoon or evening thunderstorms, that will pretty much kill it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's have some input on how many might be interested and if the 27th is doable. We would probably plan to meet up around six in the evening and plan to be out on the water whenever we could get it together. Fishing is sometimes good in early evening as well as after dark.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Timing would be kinda loose. Nothing formal. Anybody could come or go whenever they wanted. I'm thinking that TubeBabe and I would probably plan to be off the water about 11ish, and we could host a "weigh and fillet" session at the fish cleaning station before midnight. Of course the diehards can stay and fish all night...weather and bugs permitting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whaddayathink?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I could do it on the 30th! [Tongue]

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but I have a huge meeting on Saturday the 28th that I can't get out of. [Sad]
[signature]
Unless someone dies I am 100% for the 27th if you decide the 30th then ill have to talk to the boss about some leave which is 50/50.

FF462
[signature]
I will be camping with the wife that weekend so I am going to be out. I bet it is pretty fun though.
[signature]
Sounds great. Looking forward to it.
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]Whaddayathink?[/#0000ff] [/size]
[black]Yep I would do it if I was just living down the block instead of four states over......[unsure][/black]
[signature]
I can do it on the 27th! Monday wouldn't work to well. Dang thing called work responsibilities.
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun, too bad I have to work the 27th Sad
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I would have suggested Saturday night, the 28th, but all of the boating activity on a weekend day tends to really slow the fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another alternative might be to back it up one night...to Thursday, the 26th...or move it ahead to Tuesday the 31st.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep chiming in on what works or doesn't work. We can also maybe plan one for sometime early morning, late in August or early September. That is a good time for daytime fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well my plans are changing due to the wife feels obligated to go to her freins kids B day saturday night. So I may be able to do Friday night.
[signature]
Friday night would work perfectly for me. Count me in!
[signature]
I'm hoping to make it too. If I do, I'll probably bring a couple others with me. Friday night sounds great!

It'll be good for my psyche to get out and catch some myself in preparation for a day of untangling lines and pulling hooks out of a bunch of cub scouts! [Tongue]
[signature]
Now that my kushy shift has ended i am in for the 27th(if i am still a resident of this state).[Wink]
[signature]
I am good for either. Heres a thought for the 30th (Monday). Maybe Tuesday would be better. After the weekend power brigade, letting the water and lake settle for a day would not be a bad thing.

But I good for any of the 3 so count me in.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I totally agree about trying to avoid the power squadron. But, not all of the folks who would like to attend are able to fish weekdays...even at night...without a problem at work (or home).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So far, it looks like the first one will be Friday the 27th.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, for the benefit of those who want some quality daytime weekday cattin', let's look at something on a Tuesday, maybe the 14 or 21 of August. Plan on early morning to noon and a fish fry afterward. Had a couple of great daytime trips about that time last year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Either Monday or Tuesday days are great for me, so count me in for an August trip. [cool]
[signature]
You can put me down for a day trip in Aug. Let us know the day and I'll ink ya in. I remember a few good days last year also.
[signature]
Count me in!

I will try and talk Frozenover into going as well.
[signature]
Either day in Aug looks good. Weather permitting. Early launch mean watching the sun come up again?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]"EARLY" to me means a "daybreaker"...watching the sun come up. Best part of the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As of right now, let's make it August 14th. Several folks have PMed conflicts for the 7th. I will make a separate post and reminder after the first of August.[/#0000ff]
[signature]