Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Rifles
I recently caught a show on "on demand" where a guy was huntin hogs with an air rifle. Unreal[shocked]! Anyway it made me wonder if any Bft members have and shoot air rifles? I've owned a .20 cal Sheridan silver streak for several years. It's kinda noisey but plenty of power. Not sure if it would take out a hog or not but it fun to shoot. Anyone else?
[signature]
I know a .20 cal benjamin will kill a rabid germain shephard dead on the spot! Watched it happen many years ago.
I have 2 cheapo pumps and my son has a "custom" daisy buckmasters.[cool]
[signature]
I have a .177 cal Gamo barrel cock. It is 1000 FPS. It rocks! Trigger has a lot of slap. You need to adjust to that. This thing has a lot of penetration. I am going to invest in a scope for it next.
[signature]
I have a 5mm sheridan, it penitrates the avarage 55 gallon drum with a led pellet, hit a steel bumper and the pellet vaperizes. It may be the same one you have.

as to will it kill a hog, I doubt it vary much.

there is a 22 caliber pump air rifle that will do the job if you hit a pig in the temple, not the eye or streight on the forhead, too much bone mass to pennatrate.

I dont doubt that the sheridan could kill a hog if you shot it at the base of the back of its head hitting the madula.

I know a guy who hunts them from a tree in an apple orachard in tenn with a hunting knife tied to a pool stick. he waits till it gets under him and pokes it in the back of the head and it lays right down.

when I was a kid he had me thinking he was jumping out of the tree on them with that knife... Funny how people seem to be much bigger when you are a kid... LOL
[signature]
I beleive you're right Dave. It is the same gun I own. Wonder what I was thinking when I wrote Beeman. Must have been having one of those days[crazy]
[signature]
dont take it out on a rabbit or your thumb either, I at shot both, one on perpous and the on perpous but not intending,...

results, the rabbit just sat there, I packed a 10-22 for back up just in case. and I needed it, shot the rabbit with the 22, and inspected the 177 impact. it broke the skin but did not penitrate the rib. I might have gone though if I had hit between the ribs.

my thumb I pummped it up and discharged it in to the ground to be sure it was empty. pumped it up again this time placing my thumb over the barrol to check the compression. sure nuff, there was a pellet still in the barrol. needless to say I shot my self... rule number one, always assume the gun is loaded, rule number two 90% of all axidental shootings are caused by unloaded guns.... results, the pellet just barly broke the skin. no swelling or any thing else. I have hit my thumb numours time with a hammer harder than the 177 hit. dont go out and do this, I had a thick kide from working on the farm as a kid, so ya there were callases on my hands....

out to about 20 yards the 177 was an accurate little bugger for me, I used to target practice with poker chips and old shot gun shells the guys would leave around the farm during rabbit season, I love pinging the primers out of the brass....

I eventualy put a streight 4 power scope on mine, I eventualy wore it out... I used to shoot a lot, I used to after my chores were done go out in to the sweet corn feild to shoot starlings.... it was nothing to go through a couple hundred rounds in an afternoon, the neighbor paid me by the bird.... I started bringing back so many starlings the farmer dicided to invest in to a cannon.... (the cannon was cheeper and didnt draw maggots [sly] )

I suggest you buy a spare gasket set or two and keep them in a dark and cool place...
[signature]
i just went and looked at my air riffle and all it says on it is cummins tools on the top of it. the friend of mine that gave it to me said the chinesse use them in there army for target practice because there the same size and weight of the chinesse rifles. annd cheaper to shoot
[signature]
Whoa! I sees a spammer edit and it's funny![sly]
[signature]
LOL, one might say that spammer was shootin blanks...[angelic]
[signature]
I couldn't resist.[Wink]
[signature]
LOL
[signature]
I shoot a RWS 54 .177 1200fps its sick killed many birds and small animals. Including feral cats...
[signature]
I always liked shooting real guns a whole lot more than airguns, but I got a Polish Army Surplus WZ. 1970 Predom [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]£ucznik air-pistol made in 1975. That's pretty fun to shoot.[/size][/font]
[signature]
some of them match grade air pistols are a pleasure to plink away with. by far more acurate than the crossman 177 at the same range [Tongue]
[signature]
[reply]
some of them match grade air pistols are a pleasure to plink away with. by far more acurate than the crossman 177 at the same range [Tongue][/reply]

Far from match grade, but very durable. When I do my part, I can hold black on a International 10 meter air pistol target. Of course, I'm not a good pistol shooter though. No doubt, they've all had thousands of rounds through them.

The Predom Lucznik was Polish clone of the Walther LP-3. Same price range as the Crosman (I assume your referring to the 1377?)
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/i...gqun8tl2o4

Mine has some finish wear on the barrel (it's a break barrel), and little surface rust on the front sight ramp- but that's nothing really.

The 9.5" barrel takes some getting used to.
[signature]
yep, that would be the one. I swear some times I can see the pellet come out of the crossman, but as a kid I had a riot shooting starlings out of the mulberry tree. we would spend hours sittin under the tree on the farm when the berries were on. ya talk about a killing time...[angelic]

that was before the big DDT bird kill they did in kentucky where they sprayed a whole county nearly wiping out the crows starlings and other black birds....
[signature]
I've got a .177 Gamo Hunter Sport. It's awesome.
[signature]
ive got 2 one is a gamo hunter440 wich is a 1992 olympic edition wich is 1 0f only 1000 made, and rws model 45.both of wich are as acurate as you could want one to be. i shoot woodchucks in the nose at 40 very well.love shootin em on any occasion that i can.we even had a small league here for a 2 years, but couldnt keep up membership
[signature]
Love my Benjamin http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=691323