Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a couple ideas - Walleye flies
- night fishing
- 1-4' of water
- Clear water with minor algae
- scattered weeds with bottom material of sand, rock and gravel
- Still water

what kind of ideas are you coming up with? Freshwater or Saltwater flies .. looking for some ideas that aren't google fodder.
[signature]
I would bring an assortment that includes:

Black nose Dace
Conhead Maribu Muddler (Olive or purple)
Olive Matuka
Olive Woolhead Sculpin
Zonkers (olive or black)
[signature]
[black][size 3]You make this a difficult one without identifying the water. Is it 4 foot shallows of a deep lake that you are fishing?[/size][/black]

[size 3]I would assume that living in WI, that walleye are a major species for recreational fishing.[/size]

[size 3]First, I would say: learn the fish. Mostly walleye are bottom huggers, and their normal prey is the prevalent minnows and insects of that particular water. Determine what those are, and match your fly offerings to them.[/size]

[size 3]Outside of minnow and insect patterns, walleye will seem to be like other fish, in that they can be induced into reaction strikes.[/size]

[size 3]Popular colors for reaction strikes seem to be black, purple, yellow shades, brown shades.[/size]

[size 3]Fishing with flies for walleye can be a frustrating effort. Dragging flies on the bottom can be a snaggy affair. I tie my walleye flies with the hook pointing up which seems to help some.[/size]

[black][size 3]Finding walleye in shallow (4') water is unusual other than when they are spawning. You'll have to let us know how this effort works out.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Sounds interesting Steve .. thanks for the thoughts [Wink]

Been contemplating a type of salt fly streamer in a firetiger using semi course hair and a some tinsel.. any thoughts on a pattern from the salty?
[signature]
Thanks Saber .. I'm pretty well versed in Walleyes - been fishing for 'em my whole life. Just not with a flyrod at night[Wink]

Quote: - night fishing
- 1-4' of water
- Clear water with minor algae
- scattered weeds with bottom material of sand, rock and gravel
- Still water

Time of day, depth of water, clarity, suspended water content, bottom material, stagnant water.. That pretty much covers @ two dozen of the the lakes I could try this approach at in my area .. North of where I am @ 2.5 hrs I'd substitute "tannin staind" for "clear".

I guess why I'm asking for thoughts and ideas here is because I'm trying to get some different ideas to try out.. If I was heading out for the night at 6pm with an arsenal of baitcasters I'd have my three styles of stickbaits pre-rigged in a few different colors and sizes ready to grab in the rod locker.. but the attributes of a fly aren't very close to those of a stickbait.. theres the challange I'm after [Wink]

If you haven't fished shallow in the dark for Eyes yet - You're missing out!! Its a good time. I've taken some 5-9lb footballs in less than a foot of water at night - its no walk in the park but if you're geared up for it and have black lights mounted under the gunwales of the boat its fun. Speaking for around here of course, Walleyes are notorious for coming into the shallows to feed at night. Their vision is geared for night/low light and when the feedbag is on the shallows holding baitfish and other creatures are like a road side gas staion - easy off, easy on fill up [cool] give it some thought on your local waters.. a good way to find 'em is ahead lamp or a rechargable spotlight. You'll know when you see "the whites of their eyes" if they're in or not. But when you go out scouting for 'em noise is a HUGE factor! and don't go throwing the beam of the light all over the place right away.. you want to move it slower than a strope- they can be spooky!

anywho.. I'm chewing on the hook point up. Thats something I haven't thought of at all.

Have you ever fished a stinger behind your fly for Eyes?
[signature]
[black][size 3]In WI you have far more walleye water than we do here in UT, and therefore more variety of water to fish.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I've never fished for walleye at night, but I understand that the majority of large eyes are taken at night.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Probably my first 50 eyes were taken on a fly rod. It was during the spawn, and they were coming into a beach where the bottom was covered with porous lava rocks, sized from a golf ball to a softball. I got tired of wading out to undo snags, and came up with the idea of tying my flies upside down, it did help.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have used stinger hooks for short striking trout, but have never tried them for walleyes.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]More recently, i have confined most of my walleye fishing to spinner/worm rigs, with a bottom bouncer. (using a double hook worm harness)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I envy your access to walleye fishing, they are my favorite eating fish. (pan fried fillets, in butter with salt and pepper)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Try the upside down hook, it should work. I used it long before they came out with the Keel (brand) hook.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I don't know anything about catching walleyes. Do they eat bait fish. If so wouldn't a clouser minnow work? It will flip hook point up because of the weight of the dumbbell eyes.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Yes, walleyes are one of the toothy critters. they eat minnows.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The best thing to do is tie a replica of what ever the forage fish that lives in their waters.[/size]
[size 3]Flies that (match the hatch) are very productive. Eyes love shad, shiners, and where available, they eat insects.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Rapala type lures are vary popular for walleye fishing.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Clousers tied with the correct colors would be very effective.[/size]
[signature]
I know that here in Colorado when fishing for walleye in the shallows guys use small clousers as well as woolly buggers, and hairs ears or pheasant tails.

Since it is at night I would say you would need them in these colors. Black or black or black. or any other color as there will not be any color they can see. A little flash would be good.

I bet anything with that glow in the dark stuff smeared on the fly would attrack some attention.

I have never fished for walleye. Just made mental notes of from listening to guys that have done it.
[signature]
Once I get settled into my new house ya might have to make a trip up here and get in on some Wisconsin Walleye action then.. but I'll try this night time flyrod stuff out first [Wink]

I share the same type of palate you do.. I don't like to ruin my walleye filets with breading or seasonings unless its someone else doing the cooking.

I'll spin a few up and try that out with the hook upward.. no gaurantees on the outcome but it might be good for a chuckle or two for you folks [cool]
[signature]
I'm going to try a few things there, Scruffy.. thanks for picking the old grey matter for me!

I've actually thought about trying to get some glow on 'em but hadn't thought about smearing glow paint on em . . this could work!
[signature]
I bought a little tube of the glow in the dark stuff at Michaels. I tie a Mohair leech and dab the paint on the fibers. I also have a small UV light by Loon to activate it.
I did this more for the Koke at the Berry who are Daphnia (sp) eaters.
[signature]
After you get the glow down, I would go with a little bit of extra Flashabou or even Maylar strips. The eye tend to go for a little well let sparkly at night.[cool]
[signature]
Dey, like dat Bling Bling!?[cool]
[signature]
[laugh] bling ... [laugh] ... I get this visual of a Walleye swimmin' with gold chains
[signature]
Once you catch one, they get da bling bling on their grill![cool]
[signature]
[laugh]
If I ever catch a walleye with gold caps I'm calling this guy I know in Cali and givin him a razzin for messin with my fin [Tongue]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]They got you good birddogwi. Here in SoCal we call them gold fish.[Wink][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27761;]
[signature]