Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge - I hate lake trout!
[mad] I hate 'em. I hate 'em. I HATE 'em! [mad]

Just when you think you have some tiny portion of fishing for them down pat, they will humiliate you so badly you want to do unspeakable things to the next one you catch!

Case in point: My daughter Jaki and I just got back from 5 days of fishing at the Gorge. Nice flat perfect jigging water for most all of the week. The first three days we fished on our own and although we didn't fill the boat with fish, we caught some and I did manage to land all but one fish that bonked my jig, and I had landed the last 2 that bonked me on my previous trip to the Gorge. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty cocky about my hooksets and my landed vs. hooked ratio.

Thursday we fished with Tarponjim and I landed the first hit that day. Confidence high! But then things went completely downhill. The rest of that day and Friday I got bonked over a dozen more times, some from stacks of obviously very big fish, and never got a hook into a single one! [Sad] I hate 'em! [mad]

So it turns out I know nothing at all about catching them and all my lake trout gear is for sale. And I no longer believe in C&R for them either. Hook 'em and cook 'em! Every last one! I'm moving to someplace with crappie! [Tongue]

But on a happy note, Jaki kicked my sorry butt and landed her biggest ever, 23 pounds! So the trip was a great memory for my last lake trout trip ever.

[Image: Jaki_23_.jpg]

Did I mention I hate 'em!

I suppose I can't give up yet. But every addict knows enough to curse the addiction once in a while! [Wink]

Thanks again, Jim!
[signature]
That's a nice fish Jaki has there Don! I wouldn't blame it on the lake trout - blame it on the kids - they'll do it to you every time [Wink]
[signature]