Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Friday the 13th weekend
We headed for them there hills (at 10,200+ ft). Could not take the heat anymore.
We got up to Washington around 9:00a.m. Friday morning to find that they and Trial were full up.
We headed over to Lost Creek, but that didn't feel right so we headed on up the road to Mirror.
We drove through the last half of the 75 camp sites that were up from the parking lot, then headed up to the campsites up by the lake. Stopped when we found the camp host. We asked if there were any open sites and they pointed to the one they were cleaning up. "We'll Take It"!
[inline "Mirror Lake 071307 002 450.jpg"]
We got camp set up and just hung around the rest of the day heading down for a little shore fishing in the evening.
[inline "Mirror Lake 071307 006450.jpg"]
There was an after noon slight shower with temps in the upper 70's and evening in the upper 50's. FANTASTIC.
We took the tubes out for about 5 hours Saturday and I had a FAIR day with Mojo catching around 30.
Sunday, well lets just say I found the KEY! Serious, a fish every cast!
[inline "Mirror Lake 071307 010 450.jpg"]
[inline "Mirror Lake 071307 012 450.jpg"]
[inline "Mirror Lake 071307 016 450.jpg"]
The majority of the fish were over the standard 12" and health as heck looking.

FG
[signature]
Nice report and looks like the fishing was good. We are glad to have you back and "Yes", we did miss you.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Sounds like a great trip. Good report and photos.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The temperatures sound especially good. I'll bet it was strange having goose bumps after the heat we have had here in the valley.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]What was the "secret" that you figured out to fool those crafty little Uinta trout?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Excellent. Getting away to the purty country is always a good brainbroom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you found some playful fishies too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Man i want to head up to the Uintas now. It looks so nice. I am taking my wife out for her first float on Sunday. And Mirror Lake is onl the list. Thanks for the pics they are beautiful
[signature]
Thanks all. Saber, waiting to get you on some of these waters!
You can see the fly in the bottom picture. It is a TADPOLE (or Gartside Gurgler).
Tied on a #12 scud hook. Marabou tail (or bunny, I like bunny cause thay can't shred it as bad as Marabou)
Two color of Tadpoles worked. Mojo was using a PURPLE (purple tail, foam back and sparkle purple chenile) one Sat. I used the Orange (orange tail, and foam back with a red chenile body).
However, the trick I found, I do the "Y" connection (take a 6' piece of 4lb or 6lb Flourocarbon, fold it in half with one side being about 20" longer tghan the other. Put a loop in it and attach it right to my fly line - in this case a Type II). Long side was the Tadpole, short side I had a tungsten bead YELLOW "Hasbro" (a marabou nymph).
I tried other nymphs that were not weighted and did not have the hits, so I think the Yellow Hasbro not only helped put it in the ZONE, but I caught several off the HASBRO so Yellow.

I took my pontoon with sonar up to Mirror a few years ago and if I remember right, the WEST side of the lake is around 48' deep, so by going deep, fast you get into the bigger fish.
I did catch the majority of mine on the EAST side Sunday and water temp was 64 degrees. But I was deep which would explain the larger fish.
[signature]
glad to see you got out and away from home this weekend, FG .. looks like you had a great time! [cool]
[signature]
Nice report FG glad you two did well. I really like the pic of old baldy in the back ground. FB2 a few yeard ago slayed them up there while his mom froze her bageebies off. LOL It wasn't really that cold .... she just thinks she fronzen if it gets below 80 out. We also had a nice moose join the fishin trip. Sent FB2 off the water in his rubber dingy lickity split it did.
[signature]
Awesome report and pictures FG!!! Too bad we missed you up there! We hit Crystal Lake Monday and were the only ones on it for a time. I don't think many places get much prettier than up there in that high country.
[signature]