Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the Forum
Hey All,

New guy to the forum but not to fishing. Been fishing since my dad first took me out with my brand new "button rod" when I was 4 about 23 years ago. Up until now I have mainly done rock and pier fishing back home in NorCal near Point Arena along with a healthy dose of steelhead and trout fishing in the rivers up there. Now that I live in LA, all my rigs are back home and I am looking to get a good all around rig for saltwater down here. Went out for some 'cuda the other day and had a blast, and also plan to finally start taking advantage of the piers around here. Here is what I was thinking:

Reel: Penn GTi 320
Rod: Shakespeare Ugly Stick 7' Medium Action

Well anyways, glad to have found the forum, and I am also open to any feedback y'all may have to help me along the way.

Lates,

Connor
[signature]
Welcome aboard Anglewood. It sounds like you are in my backyard. I am in the SFV. If you are getting Cudas right now then I know that you are fishing between MDR and Long Beach area.

The 320 GTI is a fine reel for some of the fishing down this way but would make an all around set up. You could handle the Cudas and Rockfishing on it but would need something smaller for the Sandbass and Calico Bass.

You may want to add a combo from Wall mart that isn't too expensive and can get the job done nicely. The Abu Garcia Ambasedeur 5000 on the Berkley Lightning rod makes a good light combo. That is only a suggestion if you are on any kind of budgetary restrictions and want something that will last as well as get the job done.

There are other combos out there. Many of them, more expensive but they will also get the job done.

What pier are you frequenting down here?? Are you hitting Santa Monica, Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo,Belmont??[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply, it's funny, but even though I have lived in LA for almost four years, I haven't yet taken advantage of any real fishing around here yet. I went out on the "New Del Mar" out of Marina Del Rey last Saturday, and the bug to drop some lines down here bit me hard. The combo mentioned is just one possibility, but I think I will shop around a bit before pulling the trigger. I don't wanna go too cheap (been there done that) but I just can't see spending a huge amount ($200+) either.

I live in Mar Vista, which puts me close to a few options, what would you suggest as some good spots to check out?

Lates,

Connor
[signature]