Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Monday a.m.
Monday, 07/16/07- Hit the water early (5:15 am).

[inline 100_0345.jpg]

Smooth water today!

Nice ride to the fishing grounds. Found several boats in formation in Gov't. Wash. Noticed surface activity upstream on the Gov't Wash side across from Hole 33. Moved in to check it out. Stripers were boiling close to shore and I was the only one around!

[inline 100_0347.jpg]

When the boil ended, 11 stripers, a lure with bent hooks, and blood on the deck. Great topwater action!

[inline 100_0348.jpg]

Snapped this shot after loading the ice chest.

All surface activity seemed to come to a halt. Started jigging.

[inline 100_0349.jpg]

Heavy metal striper on Revenge Jig.

[inline 100_0353.jpg]

Heavy metal striper on Spin-O jig.

Ended up with about 20 stripers. Looked like everyone was successful today. Can't wait to do it again!
BaySport
[signature]
Hey Baysport,

Glad you had the great weather. I went out over the weekend. I only caught 4. Saw no boils and left lake early too much wind.

Stripercraze
[signature]
[cool]Hey BaySport, Nice catch! I assume that they were boiling on larger sized shad: about 1.5-2". I had read that the boils were going off in vegas wash and was wondering if they were happening just in the early am and evening or if they would be active in the afternoon? I am thinking about going out friday afternoon but I want it to be worth the time to get out in the floattube. I've done gov't wash a few times and am willing to kick down to gypsum if there is a good bite otherwise I'd go south of 33 hole for some lmb.
[signature]
Hey Baysport,

Glad to see you didn't have to rely on frozen shad or chovies to land all those stripers. Great job!

As always, a great report with great pics.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
[size 1]I had read that the boils were going off in vegas wash and was wondering if they were happening just in the early am and evening or if they would be active in the afternoon? [/size]

I think it's more art than science right now, with a lot of luck needed! You would think that with good conditions stripers would boil both dawn and dusk. Who knows?

[size 1]I assume that they were boiling on larger sized shad: about 1.5-2". [/size]

Some stripers contained 1.5" shad, some contained really small ones, some contained both sizes. Sonar showed tons of bait in the channel.

[size 1] I want it to be worth the time to get out in the floattube. I've done gov't wash a few times and am willing to kick down to gypsum if there is a good bite otherwise I'd go south of 33 hole for some lmb. [/size][size 1] [/size]

Tough decision! I don't know. Until now I have always taken the boat's mobility for granted. One thing I know for sure.....take a couple of good topwater lures with you wherever you launch!
BaySport
[signature]
[cool]Hey BaySport, thanks for the info. Possibly jigging would turn some up in the afternoon. Yeah, I always have some topwater lures in the arsenal.
[signature]