Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chillin' and Perchin' at Jordanelle 7-17-07
[cool][#0000ff]Tubing two days in a row is tough on us old guys. But, I will do almost anything for the board...and fellow BFTers. That's why I agreed to a daybreaker on Jordanelle with Flycasting, after doing one the day before at Yuba. I may be growing "older", but I still got stamina.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We launched at Rock Cliffs about 6:30. Air temps several degrees cooler than the 80s in the valley, with clouds showing a hint of potential raindrops. Only a slight breeze though. OKAY. Water temps were 70 at launch and only a couple of degrees more about noon, when we departed. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I began by tossing my usual small plastic jigs. Scored a couple of perchettes and then a 12 inch smallie. Fun, fun on the light rod and 4# line. Nothing but bitty perch for quite a while after that. Unless you count the chubs. Lots of them in there again today. Lake X tuna.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water has dropped a couple more feet since last week and the spots where the larger fish were holding is now too shallow and weedy. Had to use the sonar and go looking. Took us a couple of hours of shopping and dropping but we finally found some larger perch and some smallies mixed in. Had lots of fun for a couple of hours. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was mostly calm with occasional light rain drizzles. Really nice and cool after leaving the hot valley. It came down hard enough a couple of times to get our shirts wet, but we never got cold.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both ended up catching about three quarters of a bajillion perch. Most were small, with some only about 3" long. I had to shoot a picture of one of them that took the casting spoon I put on to "catch some bigger fish". I think we both had 15-20 "basket perch"...over 10 inches. I had a couple over 12, with most about 10-11 inches...and porky. Much healthier fish than those we caught in Yuba yesterday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Flycasting caught the largest smallmouth of the day, at 17 1/2 inches. It really whupped up on him with the ultralight rod he was using. Had to stop by the urgent care center on the way home to get treatment for the silly grin on his face.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Lake X "canoe armada" hit the ramp just as we were trying to come in about noon. No consideration for others, knocked my stuff out of the way and one guy snagged up on the line on one of my rods in the holder and just about broke it. No apologies. Just..."We have to launch too." Glad we had our fun and got off the lake before we had to listen to the "bang bang" of oars on the tin boats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good to fish with ya again Tyler. Always good company and usually good fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report and pictures Pat
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. No boats were harmed in the making of this report.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Good report and pictures.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Because today was not your first encounter with the canoe crew, I noted a little more irritation than previously reported.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You say "no boats were harmed...."[/size]
[size 3]Yaw, not this time. ha ha[/size]
[signature]
They should have some manners. They all think there the only one on the water. Oh well, you have to be alert all the times, with those kind of people. Great the fishing was decent, probably could have been alot better without the little front passing by this morning.
[signature]
...hmmmmmmmm too bad there wasnt an extra rock or two.. pointed ones .. to uhmmmm "reach out and touch" those canoers..keep looking at that pic.. looks calm for the canoe but the kayaker looks to be the one all over your tube and equipment.. whatever happened to common courtesies... guess that ain't being taught any more.. especially here in CA... [unsure]

MacFly
[signature]
Another great trip bro! Those perchies were blast! [cool]
[signature]
No probably not. Here in Utah they forgot that too !
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "canoe crew" is actually a program for some "special needs" people, with mental and physical disabilities. And, these people are not the ones who create most of the problems. Today, as usual, it was the supervisors who loaded up the "riders" and then charged down into the water, oblivious to others trying to launch or come in. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is a small ramp, but there is room for everybody if common courtesy is observed. It isn't. On one occasion a truck with a boat trailer waited patiently for over a half hour to launch their boat, with all of the canoes stacked on the ramp. Nobody was observant or courteous enough to recognize the situation and move the canoes so the anglers could launch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They have some measure of control over where the canoes go and whether or not they infringe upon the space and the rights of others. They seemingly do nothing to avoid giving offense. Good training for their "students".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What really irked me a couple of weeks ago was when I approached one of the supervisors, politely requesting that he keep the noisy canoes far enough away from fishermen to avoid scaring the fish. His reply...in a belligerent manner..."Our boats DON'T scare fish."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At my advanced age I have tried to develop the ability to recognize those things which I cannot change...and to be as diplomatic as possible when approaching a confrontational issue (yeah...right). After trying to be polite about it, without results, I am afraid that I am going to be a bit more DIRECT in future encounters with the canoe crowd.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Again, words of wisdom from the Tube Meister. When I launch my canoes at Rock Cliff, I usually launch off to the side, find a sandy section and try to stay from the concrete ramp. Much easier on the hulls. Like you said, the supposed-to-be adults are the ones that can a$$e$ sometimes and courtesy comes out the window when the going gets a little hectic. I imagine that their hands can be full sometimes working with all the special-needs people, but that's no excuse for disregard of others. Thanks for the pics and the report. Doggonefishing and I are planning on a Friday morning, BFT'ers are welcome to join us, the more the merrier.
[signature]
Nice report and pics TD sorry I didn't make it over. Not that I wasn't up, but duty called and I need to pay the bills.

I complained on my last trip about them to the rangers. I was told if the problem presist or gets worse to let them know. Not that I think they will do anything. Because they haven't so far and this group is there what appears to be daily. I have yet (except weekends) been there that they haven't showed up. Pick a day of the week any day!

You can contact Rock Cliff at 435-782-3030.
Or the main park @ Hailstome 435-6499540.

Maybe if enough of us voice our concerns they will give them lessons in how to be courteous.
Explain the PROPER way to use the ramp. And maybe even request them to stay clear of fishermen. It's not like there isn't room for both of us over there.

Sorry about the special canoers in my back yard big guy. And ya thought the power squadron was rude!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, we were disappointed that you weren't able to make it...but we didn't miss the wind (tee hee). I told FC that you probably had to do something productive for a change.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was thinking of making a complaint to the rangers myself, but have not done so. Yesterday I came very close to getting physical when the folks in the small kayak just pushed through everybody and crashed into my rods and tubes in the process. But, with the mellowness of my advanced age...and tired legs...I refrained from "baptizing" them and their craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Y'know, what was almost worse was that I had to dodge a steady barrage of rocks being thrown out into the water by the kids as I came in. None of the adults made even the slighest effort to control the kids. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think I may spend some more time at Willard for awhile. The baby shad are getting big enough that the wipers are easier targets for my "stuff". And, those wipers pull a lot harder than perch. At least at Willard the fish are used to the sound of high RPM motors. There will be nobody beating on the sides of canoes with oars to scare them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey I have to work the 24th so I get a comp day I have to use between the 25 and 31st of July. Maybe we can set something up to head on a Wiper hunt. PM me.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We're gonna be doing the Gorilla Floatilla on the night of the 27th. But, we could do an early morning shot on Thursday the 26th.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Weather will be the big question mark. The winds have really muddied up the water again, which slows down the boils but the fish are still hungry. That makes it better for low and slow tuber fishing...and with bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were going to try it Friday but the forecast is for W. No thanks.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds good to me.
[signature]