Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightcrawlers
Okay. Well i never really considered catching my own nightcrawlers until recently. My buddies planned a fishing trip last minute; and we did not have enough worms left over in the fridge nor any money we could waste.The money was needed for the essentials like food and drinks and paying our stay at the park anyways... So i poked around on google and found out how i was able to catch my own worms at night. I tried it out and surprising i was able to catch more than enough. Ever since then i've been catching my own worms... But now a crazy thought has entered my head and is refusing to leave. How about if i could make money selling the worms that i catch. People say you can make good money but i havn't enter the business world(only 17yrs)I really don't know where to get start if you guys would have any tips it would be really appreciated.
[signature]
Your next step would be to find people to buy them. If you are able to harvest enough of them, save them in containers filled with shredded newspaper and light amount of cornmeal.

Go around to the places you normally fish and ask others if they would like to buy some bait. That may be your best bet.

By the way, welcome to BigFishTackle.[cool]
[signature]
A buddy of mine caught and sold nightcrawlers. He just put a sign up in his front yard and got plenty of business.
[signature]
I bet that would work well especially if you lived somewhere on the way to the lake.[cool]
[signature]
want me to tell him? [laugh][laugh]
[signature]
thanks guys you actully helped alot im going to look into your suggestions[cool]
[signature]
a couple things to remember when picking up your own worms.

aside from bedding moisture and temp control, you need to make sure you dont damage them upon capture. meaning dont bruse them, if you do you can kill every worm in your bed, dont keep any ones that you have broken.

beleive it or not, these worms have flees in thier intestines, they swallow the flee eggs while feeding on the surface. they are teny tiny about the size of noseums and bite like noseums. these are flesh eating flies and they will crawl though your bed and bite and lay eggs in to the flesh of the worm and kill them with in a couple days.

remember worms like any other creature can become ill and transfer desease and parisite to the rest of the bed....
[signature]
Great thought starting your own business. Go for it! A lot of us get really fancy with our fishing, but worms are one of the best ways to catch fish on certain days.

I catch loads of worms on tennis courts in the morning after a nice rain. It is easier and faster than searching with a flashlight in the yard (although not as fun). I catch enough worms so that I can toss them in the water and get bass to come to the surface. It's a blast.

There are some great books about raising worms. There are also different kinds of worms. Manure worms or redworms are smaller and easier to raise. They eat garbage and are great for trout bait. Worms and fishing are big business. Get into it! Start small. I teach and my class also raised worms! We also raised trout. Don't forget gardeners also love worms and will pay money for them.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] thanks guys its amazing to think of the support i get from total strangers but im finding it hard to get anyone to buy my worms i tried where you guys suggested and found little results is their anything im doing wrong?

that was me i just forgot to log in so i replied as a guest

Bassassassin101
[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Give it some time. What ideas have you tried? Are there any fish and game clubs in your area? Call them tell them you story. Are there any pet shops? Any gardeners? Any tackle shops? Don't expect too much too soon. Build on your successes.

I read an article in Field and Stream (that I still have somewhere) about two guys that started selling worms in their garage. They started small and had a lot of failure. They learned that if there is a dead worm in with the other worms it will kill them, but they kept at it and eventually convinced Wal-mart to carry their worms.

I also heard about how these guys went to a fancy fishing show. At the show there was a big tank filled with bass where the big tackle companies could demonstrate their lures. No one could catch any of the fish in the tank. Then one of these guys threw in a worm and a started catching the fish. Everyone wanted to know more.

Did you know that you can also change the color of the worms depending on what you feed them? That might be a way to market your worms.
[signature]
put yourself an old firdgerator out in a protected area from the weather out where people can get to it in your yard. find your self a strong box, marke it saying box is emptied twice a day and mount it securily to something nearby or inside, mark on the fridge worms inside,

you will be suprized, for the most part the honor sistem works well. make your pirce an even amount. 2 dollars 3 dollars what ever. Put a small fishing wroms or crawlers grage sale type sign at the driveway.

you will be supprized at the amount of bussiness you will get.

check your worms on a daily schedual to make sure you have fresh healthy critters in your containers, if some one gets one bad worm you will loose all of your bussiness... word of mouth gets around fast....

be sure on thursday night you have a complimentary stock of critters in your outside fridge. "not your whole basket of worms just in case" Leave a radio on in the house to give the illusion some one is home, put a small note on the front door to pay for worms where ever the can is....
[signature]
alright ill try that. but how about if someone steals a great majority of my worms ... its risky but worth a shot. Keeping the worms alive i found to be harder than i thought i can get them to live for about a week or so and then they get thin and before i know it their dead. Maybe i'm doing something wrong!
[signature]
Are you feeding them??? Cornmeal sprinkled in the newspaper works well. Don't put too much in.[cool]
[signature]