Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Madison last week
Hit the Madison all last week and I must say I'm getting better.Fished it for two full days and spent the rest of the time up on Cliff and Wade lakes trolling and bait fishin for nice bows.Fished down from Three-dollar bridge and up from where the west fork dumps in.Stuck with a golden stone nymph as my top fly and dropped a brown,tan or green serendipity off that. Between the two days I caught at least 15 nice browns and rainbows with a few whities mixed in.My biggest was a 17 inch brown and all the rest I landed were more in the 13-14 inch range.I hooked one that had to go at least 20 and my buddy tried two or three times to net him but, and I shizz you not, would not fit in the net ! He felt bad but I felt alright about it cuz I got numerous good looks at him. I felt lucky just to get him to the net and that I kept him out of the main current. The rainbows were awesome going airborne as soon as they felt the hookset.Heading back up for another week on 4 Aug.Hope they're still cooperative !!
[signature]
Sounds Great! I believe you on the Big one that got away. I managed to get mine up to the shore and it was a 25" Brown. Time to run a quick tape and he was gone. Mine was on a small Black Hasbro (Tungsten bead all marabou nymph #16).
Really Jealous of you right now!
[signature]
Yeah...pretty pumped I get to go back up next week.Thing is I'm bringing the whole fam damily so I'm not sure how much quality river time I'll get in. I will make it a priority ( trust me ! )
[signature]
Sweet! Pictures would be great! Depressing, but GREAT![crazy][mad]
[signature]
I have some on a disk but I'm a computer dummy and can't know how to post'em [unsure][crazy].
[signature]
[Sad] I hate when you almost have those big ones in the net and they just flop out because they don't quite fit. Sounds like a fun trip anyway. I find I start having increasing trouble with fish as they go over 20 inches. I went looking for a bigger net a month or 2 ago that would still hang on my back but not so big that it would make walking difficult and snag on every bush around. I didn't find anything. If anybody has found a net they like for landing bigger fish I'd appreciated suggestions. I do try to pull up some to the edge of the water but I like fishing rapid water and this isn't always possible. And if you miss them on that first try you don't always get another shot. My experience suggests when you take the family expect to catch about a quarter as many fish as when you're without them. And yes my family is going with me for the next 4 days upto Wyoming.
[signature]
Here is the place: [url "http://www.tropicallightning.com/"]http://www.tropicallightning.com/[/url]
I can get these locally for you, they are made in Hawaii at this present time and he can make them out of several different wood for lighter nets.
They are a little more money but worth every penny, and trust me they will handle the big boys.
Hear is the one I use on a sling. I photoed it with props to give you and Idea of the size. All catch and release with rubberized netting.
[Image: Net002.jpg]
[Image: Net003.jpg]
[Image: Net004.jpg]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Those are really nice nets.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I especially like the idea of a rubberized netting.[/size]
[size 3]The workmanship of all of his products look good.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I currently use a oversized custom net, but the workmanship is not of that quality.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have a wood shop, and have often thought of cutting, steaming, and forming wood into a custom net. Maybe that would be a good project to get involved in.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Photo of my shop attached.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
So let's get it going! I am pretty good with my hands!
The problem will be that Gregory Walker has access to all those cool woods like Mango, Koa, Cocobolo, Figured Walnut, plus a good net maker.[cool]
[signature]
That just gets me so pumped up. I am going the second to last week in August for a family trip we do every year. The last few years have been really dissapointing for me but hopefully this year is better. We are going to go to Wade as well and troll around for a bit because the rivers haven't been to good to us. Glad you had a good time now hopefully mine turns out just as good [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have never fished either Wade or Hidden, but I had a neighbor that use to fish them, and the fish he came home with were monsters. (most in the 4 to 7 lb range.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you like fishing river riffles, you will surely like the Madison. (too much current for my taste) but great fishing.[/size]
[black][size 3]Although there are large fish in the Madison, I could never find them. If you catch one of the major hatches, prepare yourself for a good experience.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Flygoddess, I like that net[Smile]. Most I looked at with that big of opening just had too long of handle to drag thru all the brush and remote canyons I somehow find myself in[crazy]. I guess when you're done fishing and you wonder how in the world are you going to get out of here you realize you're suffering an addiction. If you can get me one locally I'll take it in the hardest wood they come in as I seem to be real good at banging up all my supplies.
[signature]
Cool I can do that. I will have him send me one, but I will get you a price first. Stay in touch! They are under $90.
[signature]