Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Fishing Report- 7/22/07
Made it out yesterday for an early morning bite. We trolled up 6 kokes and 7 small lakers, fishing between 6:00-9:00am. The kokes were biting early outside of North Skull Creek, taking #2 Needlefish in pearl/red and pearl bikini running about 50 ft deep and around 2.0 mph. We got the lakers trolling silver APEXs and Needlefish, slower and deeper (65-75ft) near points and flats outside of South Skull Creek. The surface temp is still climbing and was about 71F when we started and 73F when we left the water. Hope it helps.
[signature]
Were you using down riggers? Going up in about 10 days I don't have riggers, but debating on buying some? I don't troll very much but would like to get into lakers and kokes for something new.
How about jigging?
[signature]
Thanks for another great report Ryno, keep it up, we sure enjoy them. Sounds like the water has really warmed up, I guess those big lakers will be tough to catch now. Did you try for any smallmouth? WH2
[signature]
With the warm surface temps on the Gorge, down riggers are almost a necessity. The fish we were catching were deep (50-75 ft). It's tough to get down with longlining, snap weights, lead core, etc. and still be able to keep the boat speed up. Once you get into the riggers, you'll probably learn to enjoy trolling more. I used to avoid trolling, because I wasn't active enough and got bored quick. Once I got into fish, I realized how effective of a method it is and that there is a lot of technique to it. If I'm trolling and not catching fish, I'm changing things a lot, including: boat speed, lure depth, lures, locations. It's definitely a science, and there's a lot of experience to it.

I didn't do any jigging. I haven't done much this summer, because I spend so much time trolling for kokes. That's something I need to do more often myself, but it's hard to pull myself from catching those tasty morsels! Good luck!
[signature]
Glad you like 'em, and I hope they help someone out.

I haven't fished smallmouth for a few weeks. I suspect they're deeper now, but still catchable. I did some snorkeling around Mustang Launch a couple of weeks ago and saw some nice smallmouth down deeper (greater than 20ft). There's still lots of small fish shallow and as you probably already know, it's tough to get your lure past them to have a chance at the deeper, bigger fish. I'll try to get out soon and figure out what they're doing too.
[signature]